SEDA  November 2015

SEDA November 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Letter on higher education Green Paper in today's Guardian

Kieran Kelly <[log in to unmask]>

Kieran Kelly <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:26:18 +0000

text/plain

This is where I put on my hat from a previous incarnation in Political Economy.

The problem with the Green paper is that it engages with a real issue, enhancement of teaching in HE, but sees the strengthening of market pressures as the tool for bringing it about.  This approach is proved to have failed in straightforward areas such as electricity generation, or the creation of an affordable working railway system.  The paper is easily translated into the language of the free market.  Reductions in barriers to entry, improved information to consumers, the state as a regulator of the market, not of the quality of the provision.  There is also a real tension at the core which is that there is no possible contractual relationship between what the student learns and what the teacher teaches.  Therefore the myriad of proxies, e.g. Student Satisfaction, with which we are familiar.    As academic developers we will have to do good work within the context in which we find ourselves.  I have absolutely no doubt that the use of metrics and the operations of what is actually a market only in ideological terms will make it harder for everyone to learn.

Kieran

Dr Kieran Kelly PhD, SFHEA
Learning for All
University of the West of England