Re: CPD Recognition

"REIMANN N." <[log in to unmask]>

REIMANN N.

Fri, 28 Aug 2015 11:59:59 +0000

text/plain

Dear colleagues

I have followed this discussion with a lot of interest. I have no personal experience of the dialogue route, although I have talked a lot with colleagues who are using it and really like the underpinning principles and practices. However, I have some concerns which have less to do with the process itself but arise from the wider institutional and national contexts and the very different ways in which professional recognition is, and will be, interpreted and used in the sector and in different institutions.  Whether the dialogue route 'works' or not will have a lot to do with who owns and controls the process: academic developers, managers, grassroot academics in the disciplines, the HEA etc. etc. In my experience this varies considerably between institutions. Institutional targets, in particular very ambitious ones, are another really important factor, coupled with the size of the institution and the number of staff who want or are expected to gain Fellowship. Since standards are socially constructed, who is - and who is not - involved and what their motives are ultimately determines the standards. Since the dialogic route is, well, very dialogic and therefore based on and influenced by relationships, there are potential issues arising from that side of things. Several colleagues have already mentioned the issues around mentors, reviewers and externals.

My conjecture is that the Fellowship standards will vary considerably across the sector, although we don't really want to admit this and obviously go through a lot of trouble in making our processes as robust as possible, incorporate training etc. to ensure that this is not happening. In many ways this is comparable to the system of external examiners where the recent research by Sue Bloxham and colleagues has highlighted how much we are kidding ourselves (http://dera.ioe.ac.uk/23541/1/2015_externalexam.pdf ).

In my view and experience there are many issues about HEA Fellowship which are not openly discussed but happen and bubble under the surface; this, of course, also applies to other submission formats!

Apologies for this rant on a Friday afternoon before a Bank Holiday, but it's something I have been mulling over for a long time.

Have a good weekend!

Nicola

Dr. Nicola Reimann

Centre for Academic Practice (CAP), Room 221, School of Education, Durham University, Leazes Road, Durham DH1 1TA

Tel. :  0191-334 8348 Email: [log in to unmask]