LDHEN  2003

LDHEN 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Graduate identity and the skills agenda in higher education (and beyond)

John Dean <[log in to unmask]>

learning development in higher education network <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:12:18 -0000

text/plain

Hi Sandra

First of all let me apologise if anyone found the tone of my initial e-mail
offensive. The intention I guess was to be ironic but in a playful,
post-modern kind of way. Perhaps I miscalculated. Certainly no offense to
any individual was intended.

I will have a think on what Len is saying, this e-mail is a response to your
comments.

The first thing I would want to say is that I agree with much of what you
say. The graduate market place is not a level playing field and it is the
case that those with a lot of cultural capital have a huge advantage but (to
continue a sporting analogy) its both the only playing field we've got and
the only game in town Most of the non-traditional students I see aspire to
what they would see as a "proper" graduate job. Failure may mean a return to
the kinds oc "MacJobs" they entered higher education precisely to avoid. for
these students the stakes are very high. Some, to their great credit and
against large odds, actually succeed. For reasons I discussed in my last
e-mail I doubt  that eliminating "skills talk" from the graduate recruitment
process, even if it were possible (and its employers you would have to
convince not me)would help. One of the good things about "skills talk",
whatever its ultimate epistemological status, is that it can, with greater
or lesser success, be taught To deny access to this discourse in the
curriculum on grounds of some kind of no doubt well meant but, I would want
to argue, ultimately misguided ideological purity seems to me to doubly
disadvantage non-traditional students because they are precisely the
students who are unlikely to to know the often hidden and tacit rules by
which such the graduate recruitment game is played. Of course knowing the
rules doesn't guarantee that you are going to win or that the rules are even
fair. But it is, it seems to me, at least a start.