FW: What type of contracts are you on?

"Tanguay E." <[log in to unmask]>

Tanguay E.

Tue, 11 Apr 2017 14:10:34 +0000

text/plain

Dear all,

With apologies for the delay, here is a summary of the responses I have had from the list regarding academic vs professional services contracts.

The general consensus was that professional services contracts should be avoided at all costs.

Those on academic contracts and in institutions with senior lecturers or above:

•	De Montfort University
•	Glasgow Caledonian University
•	London Metropolitan University
•	Buckingham
•	St George’s, University of London
•	UWE Business School
•	Plymouth University

The 3 respondents on professional services contracts who replied all stated why such a move would not be a positive change –  for the staff involved, for the department, or for the institution. Negative aspects for staff included the lack of progression scale and flexibility of hours as well as lack of opportunities to conduct research. One respondent stated “On an academic contract there was definitely a career track. On a PS contract there is none. For us, the only way up is out.”  Another commented that a move to a professional services contract would inhibit outside interest in hiring opportunities for the department, again highlighting the loss of academic contracts as a significant risk for the department and the institution in the longer term. The arguments you all put forward helped me significantly in writing the case for the union to take forward to HR so thank you so much. As yet I have not heard from HR but I will let you know what happens.

Many thanks again to everyone who responded to my original email.
Lizzy

____________________________
From: learning development in higher education network [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of John Hilsdon [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 January 2017 11:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What type of contracts are you on?

Dear all

In my view, Lizzy's question gets to the heart of what it means to be a 'learning developer' (LD) in our neoliberal edu-business environment. I agree with what Ursula, Rowena and Allyson say. From a management perspective, or rather the perspective of senior policymakers and HR bods, whose model for higher education is one of the provision of courses as commodities, backed up by 'services', offered to students as consumers in a competitive marketplace, then it makes perfect sense to seek to fragment and restructure traditional educational roles (in other word to resist having LDs employed and treated as academics contributing to research and teaching). This is done in order to 'target' areas of the business (e.g. student compliance with referencing conventions) where it is perceived that focusing attention there will lead to improvements in outputs and performance - and therefore to an improved market position for the university-business.

In educational terms, this is a 'deficit' model; it assumes there are some students (still referred to as 'non-traditional' - a euphemism for lower social class; nonstandard English speakers (or international students); and non neurotypical students) for whom (so the model assumes) a bit of 'remedial' work on language, study, 'key' and employability skills will bring them up to scratch and make them fit to succeed in the system, and eventually become 'good' statistics who will contribute to the kinds of data the business needs. In other words, so they will not drop out, will pass their degree, will give positive feedback in the all-important 'satisfaction' surveys, and will get into some kind of employment after graduation.

This approach - demonstrating the provision of targeted serves using phrases like "effective learning" - is also about ensuring the kinds of institutional compliance with government policies (e.g. on Widening Participation) that will maximise institutional funding.

The fragmenting of roles and increasing of control over the activities of workers like LDs is also about minimising costs; in terms of pensions, pay structure and employment benefits such as holidays, 'professional' contracts are considerably cheaper than academic ones.

In summary then, there are macro-level drivers to this tendency to resist any new appointments on academic contracts for LDs, or to replace them where possible. These drivers are associated with the ideologically-inspired policies of successive governments to 'reform' universities replacing central funding with fees, and policies such as that for WP funding and the TEF, which then lead to the financially-driven business model we see in operation on the ground in our institutions.

I think it is still true to say that most academics and LDs think students should not be seen principally as consumers, and education should not be treated as a commodity. Learning is not about notching up certain behaviours in order to comply with an index of appropriate responses, not about producing employable graduates. Rather, learning is about participating in a community of scholars and teachers who are interested in generating knowledge for the common good through study and research; and demonstrating achievement to their peers and teachers. Where LDs differ from subject academics is that they are focussed primarily on working alongside students in making sense of their study tasks. In the monetised environment that prevails, unlike subject academics, they have no course to sell and students earn no (or very few) credits from working directly with them, so they have low levels of 'capital' in Bourdieu's sense. Therefore, they are vulnerable to cost-cutting and the neoliberal drives mentioned above.

In my experience from undertaking a recent, small-scale study, where LDs are on academic contracts, they are better treated in terms of status and better integrated into the academy. More especially, where they have direct links with academic subjects - e.g. are embedded in departments - they again have a better experience and perceive themselves to be more effective in their work than those in central teams.  (It would be interesting to hear if others agree with this.)

To those who say things like, 'well we don't want a full-blown academic to do a bit of study support' I would argue that this underestimates the importance of the LD role. Of course there need to be stages in academic roles, and career progression routes. In fact, we already have these, both in more traditional roles that often lead to academic jobs (e.g., demonstrators, research assistants), and in newer roles such as coordinators for peer learning schemes and writing centres. In all of these cases, however, I think it is essential to maintain the academic status of the work, which legitimises involvement in research and publication, and offers equality with academic contracts where appropriate, or the prospect of promotion to an academic role for more junior functions.

Good luck in your work, Lizzie - I hope the discussion on the list is helpful.

All the best

John