LDHEN  August 2012

LDHEN August 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: LDHEN Digest - 10 Aug 2012 to 13 Aug 2012 (#2012-155)

Alison McEntee <[log in to unmask]>

Alison McEntee <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:27:46 +0100

text/plain

Hi All

In relation to the LD job descriptions and pay scales, there is some information on the UCU website relating to job roles, pay and conditions for academic related staff:

http://www.ucu.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=2097

I wonder if this would be useful in addressing some of the questions raised? I think there are two key issues here - the recognition of the contribution of learning developers as 'academic related staff'- and the characterisation of what we do as not constituting 'teaching', but rather being seen as the provision of 'advice', partly due to a misunderstanding of what we do, and arguably in order to justify lower rates of pay. The latest job advert which came out on the list this morning seems to include a research and teaching remit, and yet the job title of 'officer' classifies it as being non-academic, and therefore of lower status and pay than academic colleagues.

I must admit I am flummoxed by the fact that institutions appear to struggle with the notion of research into teaching and learning in HE not being 'academic'!

Alison

Alison McEntee

Effective Learning Tutor

Centre for Academic & Professional Development

Room N214

Robertson Trust Library & Learning Resources Centre

University of the West of Scotland

High Street

Paisley, PA1 2BE

Tel: 0141 848 3824