LDHEN  2006

LDHEN 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: just google it! NO, scholar.google it???

Lynne Rutter <[log in to unmask]>

Lynne Rutter <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 May 2006 15:57:37 +0100

text/plain

Thanks Maggie and John

The issue is obviously exacerbated by the fact that we all have such
different roles and titles etc, and this may affect our primary
resposnibility (as it is seen by others)- i.e. to educate students or
staff? I have a similar difficulty trying to define what 'reflection' or
'learning' is, as it can be different things to different people at
different times - but in order to use it I really need to do is focus on
what it can do - which helps move things on. So maybe we can also ask
what are we trying to achieve rather than what we are trying to be.

If we focus on something like 'changing teaching practices', it is
obviously a major undertaking so maybe we can start by learning from the
past and ask how are/when are teaching practices actually changed?

In this respect it seems that we can also be thinking about what a
lecturer's questions might be, to inform our approaches, e.g. how much
extra work will this new approach mean for me? Why should I redesign all
my teaching? Why should I be doing this when we have a funded support
centre to do it? I'm sure we've all heard more!

My colleague, Christine Keenan, advocates working with any lecturing
staff who approach us and get them inolved in working with us in the
ways described below, and on funded projects together if possible. If
they then talk to colleagues and get them interested the ideas seem to
disseminate more effectively than us 'banging the drum' all the time.

As we know, getting involved with any teaching and learning events
(conferences, PGCE's, symposiums etc)  is obviously a 'must' for
engaging with lecturing staff as this is where the conversations will be
happening anyway (hopefully). Maybe there other places where these
conversations are happening - can we find them and become part of them?

But is it also a case of ensuring that we are seen and listened to as
'academics' - can we discuss education issues as 'academics', are we
credible? If not what are we lacking or seen to lack?

I may be going down inappropriate paths here but you did ask for more
questions! ;)

Lynne