JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  November 2006

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER November 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Exploring Whiteness Critically and Carefully - Living A Multiracial Educational Standard of Teacher Judgment

Alan Rayner <[log in to unmask]>

BERA Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:14:29 +0000

text/plain

Dear Yaqub,

Yes, as you may imagine, in many ways I warm to this theme too. It is
consistent with my critique of natural selection in particular and
rationalism in general as 'concrete block-headedness' with a cancerous
potential (natural selection and associated selfish gene theory is an
excellent model for cancerous degeneration, but not for evolutionary
co-creativity).

As you also might expect me to say, I have two issues with regard to the
possibility of enhancing the influence (not spreading it like a cancer) of
the awareness you are expressing. One concerns the use of 'anti', as in
'anti-racist'. Antiness tends as you know to up the antiness in vicious
circles rather than bring about transformation. Personally I would describe
myself (hopefully) as non-racist, non-selectionist, non-Darwinian,
non-white/light supremacist, non-perfectionist, which means that I cannot
accept the premises of those ways of thinking, even though I may understand
the human fear and associated desire (for absolute freedom/security)from
which they arise. Non-acceptance, however, is not (though it may be
perceived to be, from a rationalistic standpoint) the same as absolute
rejection (absolute rejection is a product of fearful rationalism, not
receptive-responsive inclusionality). It always holds out the possibility
for acceptance once violating definition has been lovingly (mindful of its
fearful and desirous foundation)loosened or punctured (if needs be,
painfully). It implies a receptivity, which can only be fulfilled when it
is itself acknowledged rather than abused (it's not too life-affirming to
be receptive to cancerous potential!). It is a receptivity which is
'unconditional yet provisional' as in the following lines from one of my
'poems':

So, if you try to close me in
Or close me out
In your Manly human quest for Godly immortality
I cannot love you as you stir within my womb

The second issue does indeed concern the use of 'whiteness'. Personally I
think there should be no problem with this as long as it is used to imply
'a frame of mind' ('Light supremacy'/'concrete blockheadedness'!)
historically and culturally associated with white-skinned people, but not
necessarily a (genetically determined) characteristic of white-skinned
people per se. So there is a need (as you generally do) to make this
intended usage abundantly clear if it is not to be interpreted as
'anti-racist racism'.

I say all this as ever in a spirit of neighbourhood, not telling you or
anyone else how to suck eggs, dear granny.

Warmest

Alan

--On 28 November 2006 00:50 +0000 Paul Murray