JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  April 2010

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER April 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Design as Research

"Alan Rayner (BU)" <[log in to unmask]>

Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:51:36 +0100

Dear Sue,

Well, what you say is exactly why I wrote the following passage in the draft
paper I have written in preparation for presenting a keynote address at the
World Congress of the Action Learning Action Research Association in
Australia in September:

"For the past ten years, I have taught a final year transdisciplinary
undergraduate course at the University of Bath, entitled ‘Life, Environment
and People’ (see my description of some of the turbulent and difficult
history of this course in Rayner, 2006a). Every now and then as I present
this course, which is participatory and invitational in style, I find myself
having to stop and remind the students and myself about its fundamental
intention. I say something along the lines of: 'this is not intended to be a
course of instruction, but more an opening of possibility for your personal
reflection and consideration by describing what makes sense to me'. I could
say much the same about all of this paper. I feel the need to say it because
I think that the expectation of instruction - and the painful memories of
non-empathic schooling - that this can evoke and be read into what is
offered, blocks receptivity. I have simply to admit that I can only
explicate my perceptions and reasoning for opening the door into natural
inclusionality in my

personally unique way, using whatever means I have available to me, and
invite others across the threshold if they wish, where I will be pleased to
welcome, help and engage with their enquiries as best I can. Whenever I
forget to say or admit this, and engage instead with a perceived requirement
or actual demand to convince others, I sense resentment and resistance
rising within my listeners, and can all too easily become defensive and
resentful myself. Maybe that continual reminder to ‘hold openness’ (Fig. 7)
is deep in the core of an inclusional educational practice."

In explaining my reasons for opening the door into natural inclusionality, I
generally find myself caught between the need to speak to an academic
audience, which is often perceived as using vocabulary as an excluding
barrier (which is as far removed from my intention as it is possible to be)
and the need to communicate more feelingly with an audience that is often in
fear/awe of intellectual discourse.

At the bottom of all this is a fundamental problem of logic, which Jack and
I have sought to address in the following paper:

Whitehead, J. and Rayner, A.(2009) From dialectics to inclusionality – a
naturally inclusive approach to educational accountability. Accessed on
20/01/10 from
http://actionresearch.net/writings/jack/arjwdialtoIncl061109.pdf

This fundamental problem of logic needs to be addressed both with
intellectual rigour and with emotional sensitivity. I won't claim to succeed
in this, but it is what I try to do. Last weekend I ran a 'NaturesScope'
event on these lines. Here is what a woodsman with little formal post-school
education who attended had to say:

"I was afraid that it was going to be a very academic day, that i would be
out of place, a square peg in a round hole so to speak, this was far from
the reality. What surprised me more than anything was the similarities but
diversities of the people I met, and it is this that has been the main focus
of my thoughts.

You asked us to go away and think about how we can all contribute and
further the Nature scope work, the "inclusional" way of thinking.

I am already thinking about the terms you use, about taking in and
reflecting out energy from "our natural neighborhoods" it is something we
all do naturally, at least all the people I met yesterday! What i mean to
say is that you have given us all a great energy, your work is the rivers
source, you are its generator. We, a small band of dedicated followers of
your work, are building upon the flow, giving it momentum and force flow. we
are reflecting out a great energy, given to us from this enlightenment and
inspiration, that is clearly a strong feature of all who seem to be drawn to
this "inclusional way"

As all of us break away from the nature scope event and go off on our many
and diverse paths in this world, academia, corporate management, arbor
ecology, teaching, design, etc etc we spread out as exploring veins of the
mycelial networks of fungi, exploring every corner of the world, OUR
INDIVIDUAL "natural neighborhoods"

In doing so, the pattern of our interactions with others will be like any
other flow form, and certain it will build pace as each of us go off and
reflect outwardly this "new way of thinking"

They say a smile will instigate a smile in others, and i am sure this
outwardly projecting energy of inclusionality, by its very nature will
inspire and evoke a similar response in those we meet. Some people need it
delivered in a subtle way, for your ideals are leftfield, to coin a phrase,
but this is a gift we in your group all seem to have developed, to adapt the
"method and delivery" in a way that befits our natural neighborhoods on ever
finer scales.

The diversity within the group was at first a surprise, but then when you
consider the nature of inclusionality, it really is not at all surprising,
in fact one might say it was to be expected, after all, inclusionality by
its very thought evokes/attracts diversity.

The teachers in the group made me want so much to bring my six nieces' into
their educational influence, I would dearly love for my nieces' to
experience an "inclusional day" with these teachers, maybe one day this will
be feasible?"

Perhaps the attached painting of a 'honeysuckle sharing circle' might relate
more clearly to you as an illustration of my intellectual as well as
emotional support and encouragement of what you are saying and doing.

Warmest

Alan