Re: Geoff Petty's IfL letter

Cheryl Thornett <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jan 2012 16:56:59 -0000

text/plain

Hi Sue (Sue is the helpful person I referred to) et al

One very big issue is the way in which this was sprung on most of us--I
certainly wasn't aware of any consultation process, or perhaps that is
because I was in ACL. The sense of a sudden imposition, whether accurate or
not, did not generate good will. I daresay any blame for this could be
spread quite widely.

The second issue, certainly in ACL so far as I know, is that there doesn't
seem to have been much obligation placed on employers to have any kind of
effective CPD process or structure. I never had a discussion regarding needs
I had identified or that anyone else had identified. The burden appeared to
fall almost entirely on teachers to identify their own needs and somehow
find an affordable way to meet them. The CPD provided by my employers was
not, on the whole, in accordance with my needs nor with what you and others
said it should be. Nor did I get paid time to attend, never mind any
financial subsidy. It almost seemed that giving teachers a time requirement
shifted the obligation from employers to teachers, although I am sure this
was never the intention. Perhaps my experience was exceptionally bad, and
perhaps I had an exceptionally poor employer, but I have heard similar
experiences from others, particularly others who are sessional or at the
lower end of part time.

I would like to have seen a professional body putting pressure on employers
and on government to support CPD through opportunities to determine needs
and support in terms of time and finance for teachers to obtain it--an
entitlement, as much as an obligation. Yes, a lot can be obtained free
through libraries and the internet, but how do you find something
appropriate? It takes hours of searching. Teachers working in isolated
circumstances, or in the diffuse structures of so much ACL are very likely
to need CPD, but not likely to have support in getting it. These teachers
also tend to be less than well paid.

The cost of continuing to teach, with IfL fees being only one small element
of that, was one of the reasons I decided to take voluntary redundancy.

Regards

Cheryl Thornett
Birmingham