JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  March 2009

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER March 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: The real usefulness of living theory

Cathie Pearce <[log in to unmask]>

Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:48:57 +0000

text/plain

Dear All

I thought I'd just add to what is being said by saying that I was recenlty told of a place In Japan (think its in Kyoto) where
there are fifteen boulders placed next to each other and it is said that if you can stand amongst them, looking ahead but are able
to see all fifteen then you are spatially connected with the world around you.  We are not used to using our eyes laterally, and
so this is not at all as simple as it might seem  and yet it is not so impossible either!   It is probably a jokey and somewhat
gimmicky  tourist thing perhaps and  no doubt Alan will tell me that its theory is not quite right either!  but it seems both
important and worthwhile to think differently about connectivities... Alan's writings and others here too  are always worth those
kinds of engagements and struggles to my mind!
best wishes
Cathie

Dr Cathie Pearce
Research Fellow
ESRI
MMU

tel: 0161 247 2074

Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the
Manchester Metropolitan University's email disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer
>>> "Alan Rayner (BU)" <[log in to unmask]> 03/13/09 8:41 AM >>>
Dear Pip,

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Of course, there is an element in what you say that always saddens me as I hear it reflected back to me from all kinds of people
in all kinds of ways. This is the idea that inclusionality is somehow esoteric, far-removed from everyday lives, an intellectual
escapade whose unfamiliar language and logic flies way over the heads of ordinary people. Yet for me, if I might make so bold,
inclusionality represents the 'Mother Space' of Nature that holds all theories and experiences tenderly in place, opening what can
otherwise become their opposing boundaries up so that they can drink each other in, co-creatively. It is not removed from everyday
life, it is about everyday life. By its very nature, inclusionality does not prescriptively preclude (like rationality), it
dynamically includes - but can only do so when allowed to loosen the walls of other-exclusion that define what describe themselves
as 'other theories'. Inclusionality is not a 'special interest alternative theory' of 'one' amongst 'many'. It is what includes
one in many and many in one in the limitless openness of everywhere. Inclusionality is not about extraordinary intellectual
abstraction, it is about life in all its myriad manifestations. It is about opening up, not insulating the preserve of the
intellect. I dare say it is about why Robyn - like all caring people - needs to care for the needs of her complex,
local-in-nonlocal self as she cares for others whose lives flow not only contiguously, alongside and around her unique individual
identity, but continuously, THROUGH her unique, receptive-reflective-responsive individual identity.

Yesterday I felt immensely priviledged to read a poetic, autobiographical piece called 'Zarathustra's Mountain' by Harvey Sarles,
an American Professor of Philosophy and Anthropology whose educational approach, commitment and love for his students to my mind
epitomizes 'living theory' and 'inclusionality', though he does not as yet explicitly make that connection. I edited the piece (by
changing just two words!) in preparation for publication in our journal, 'Transfigural Mathematics'. At the end of the piece I was
moved to add:

"After editorially checking through this piece, Alan Rayner responded:-

Harvey, I  must say that I found your piece an immensely evocative read and source of personal solace as I encountered and
recognized so many thoughts and feelings that I have experienced myself whilst 'seeking the truth' of 'inclusionality'. I laughed
out loud several times in recognition, and was moved close to tears in other places. In me, at least, your words resonated deeply.

Increasingly, it seems to me that it is indeed the 'poetic' in us who serves as the 'isthmus' or  'corpus callosum', bringing the
articulate and analytical into natural communion with the silent and intuitive - the transfigurer of words and worlds, who finds
each in the other, through the figure who naturally loves self as neighbourhood and neighbourhood as self."

Warmest

Alan