JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  February 2007

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER February 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Child of Reason

Alan Rayner <[log in to unmask]>

BERA Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:50:01 +0000

text/plain

Dear Susie,

As ever, your response is most insightful.

The poem came into my mind whilst waking on Sunday morning. Ted helped me
to soften it a bit before I posted it. It is linked also to another poem
called 'Recreations' (pasted below), which I wrote a few a few years ago,
as well as a painting, recently added to my website at
http://people.bath.ac.uk/bssadmr/art under 'natural inclusion'. 'Play' in
all senses of that word, is very much in the foreground of my thinking
about 'natural inclusion' and evolutionary creativity. I link it to the
much overlooked phenomenon of 'neoteny' (retention of juvenile
characteristics in adult form and behaviour) which has been associated with
such macroevolutionary transformations as the emergence of vertebrates
(from juvenile sea squirts), monocotyledonous (grasses, lilies etc) plants
from dicotyledonous (broad-leaved) plants and, indeed, human beings as
neotenous apes. In 'forbidding', 'belittling' and 'excluding' play
(isolating it in the 'pen' or 'playground') I think there is much potential
for 'child abuse' in our educational systems. And there is also the
connection between my own experience of being 'singled out' as an
academically 'gifted child' and how this relates to my 'Achilles Heel
Syndrome'.

The poem was also, frankly, inspired by abusive treatment to which I have
been subjected whilst trying to share 'inclusionality' with another list,
ironically called 'friends of wisdom'. One member of that list never fails
to demonize my (and Ted's) offerings (most recently the ones about 'climate
change', which I also shared with the b.e.r.a. list, and to which you
responded in 'wise fashion'), accusing me of being an 'inclusionazi'
seeking to dominate the discourse, and describing me publicly as 'silly', a
'lunatic', a 'crackpot', a 'preacher', 'utterly irresponsible' etc. In one
of his more recent epistles, claiming to have successfully critiqued
inclusionality (what he actually critiqued was his mistrustful
misrepresentation of inclusonality), he told me to 'grow up and stop
looking up my own arse' (apologies to members of this list, I am merely
reporting the language actually used). At the heart of his abuse appears to
be a profound attachment to dialectic argument and notions of 'free agency'
and pluralistic 'free association' (a very different kind of 'fragmented
plurality' compared with that envisaged inclusionally in terms of
'complementary differences), along with a dedication to ruthless
attributions of blame, guilt and shame upon others, cast in terms of direct
causation. {aside to Jack - I would love you to put on clear record your
views of inclusionality in relation to propositional and dialectic logic}

It has been difficult for me to 'respond receptively' to such expressions,
without precipitating further abuse and accusations. Silence also is
interpreted as an affront or as evidence of defeat: a real 'no win'
situation. How does one get out of the loop of such vicious circular games
of 'reciprocal denial', at the heart of which is the rationalistic logic of
the excluded middle, which by its own rigid self-definition excludes and
rejects the fluid logic of the included middle (inclusionality). Hence the
deliberate 'teasing' paradox in the poem that you noted where there is an
implicit differentiation (but not absolute demarcation) between
rationalistic and inclusional forms of 'reason'. Inclusional reason can
incorporate and transform rationalistic reason (the 'discrete objectivity'
or 'exclusionality' that still passes in most people's minds for 'reason'
or 'rationality'), but exclusionality, by self-definition, cannot
incorporate inclusionality. Rationalistic reason leads, in my mind, to
child abuse, both literally and metaphorically. Moreover, it doesn't help,
in my mind, to address what appears to be our current global environmental,
social and psychological crisis, by going around finding
objects/individuals to blame.

Already you see how difficult it is to express this in verbal (definitive)
language without getting tied up in knots. Hence the poem, as a form of
not-to-be-taken-literally reflective expression which gives vent to my
feelings without getting caught up in loops of reciprocal denial that seek
to alienate and miscast the other in a burgeoning culture of mistrust.

This is why I think it is so important in 'living theory' to include
accounts of the origin and perpetuation of mistrust, and how we may be
liberated from its powerful loop by holding open and not abusing the
possibility of trusting relationship. In my terms 'all you need is love,
love, love is all you need', but to understand what 'love' means in a
culture of denial that loves to impose barriers to love, takes some
'doing'.

Warmest

Alan

---------------------------------

RECREATIONS OF A PLAYFUL UNIVERSE

Oh, how we laugh!
When Some Thing
Touches Our Spirit
Tickles Our Imagination
Recalling Our Place
In a Playful Space

A common enjoyment
Of a Common Enjoinment
Recreations
Of an Ever Present
Folding

Dynamic Boundaries
Pivotal Places
Incomplete Surfaces
That make distinct
But Never Discrete

Unique and Special Identities
Possibilities Realized
That Can Never Be Bettered
And can never be Severed
>From a Context Within and Beyond
That Makes Us Content
Belonging Together
Adoring Our Differences
Inseparable in Our Incompleteness

Our Self-Insufficiency
That Unites Us in Love
A Receptive Space
A No Thing Place
That Keeps Us Coherent
Within and Without
Enveloped and Enveloping

No Need For Rules
No Need For Rulers
With Space in Our Hearts
To Include Other as Us
A Diverse Assembly
A Joyous Relief
Reciprocating Each Other’s Movements
Dancing in High Spirits

Oh, how we cry!
When Made To Deny
Our Union With Other
No Mother, No Brother
No Sister
To Assist
Our Passage
Through Pain

But a Father Severe
A Tyrant Authority
To Cut Us Off
Within Fixed Boundaries
In Isolation

Pretending Independence
Making Comparisons
Striving To Remove
What’s Not Good Enough
In Pursuit of Perfection, Control, Prediction

A rationalistic Ideal
A Uniform Whole
A Self-Sufficiency
Tolerating No Hole