JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  December 2006

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER December 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Judging Educational Influences In Terms of World Leading Standards of Judgement

Jean McNiff <[log in to unmask]>

BERA Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:10:28 +0000

Hello Moira, hello Marie, hello all,

I have been deeply impressed by what you are saying, and I am reminded
of the work of Iris Marion Young, who speaks about greeting and
recognition as a form of political action (Young, I., 2000, Inclusion
and Democracy, Oxford, Oxford University Press). She says that greeting
is a kind of public acknowledgement, a form of communicative ethics,
and greeting is an essential aspect of acknowledging the other before
any kind of meaningful discussion or sharing can take place, an
essential condition of inclusive democratic practices. She says (page
90) that a group consists of both the individuals in the group and
their relationships. I have drawn on this concept a lot to help me make
sense of my practice, of what I do. Maybe what we do has the same deep
meaning of how we are. How we are with one another is what we do, our
embodied actions. And how we are makes us who we are. Our identities
are grounded in our actions. We literally create our selves and our
identities. As you, Moira, greet each person I believe you are
explaining publicly how you are, with that person and with yourself in
the world. The intentional way you are, your intentional being in the
world, is for me a form of communicative action. I love the idea that
we can create the way we are, that life is maybe a process of creating
the person we wish to be, not working towards an imaginary given 'end'
but recognising this moment as the end and the beginning, the
everlasting now, and any temporal 'end' is a manifestation of its own
political 'ends'. How do we make judgements about how we are? This is
the issue that is occupying a lot of my thinking at the moment, because
I need to make some decisions about what I do in the next year, so need
to bring some order into my thinking. How do I make judgements about
how I am and what I am doing?

I wonder also whether how we say fare well is also a form of
communicative action? In South Africa, people often say, 'Go well.' So,
on this beautiful Christmas morning, which means so much to me, because
it is a brand new day with its own special immanent promise, I send you
love and joy, and hope we all go well.

Love

Jean