JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  December 2006

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER December 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Judging the educational influences

Jack Whitehead <[log in to unmask]>

BERA Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:11:31 +0000

text/plain

Drawing on Mohsen's poetic expression I'm hoping that we can linger longer 'on the
portico of explicitness to watch the ambiguity of elucidation' to see if we can develop a
shared understanding of 'educational' influence in the e-seminar that can contribute to
world leading standards of judgment.

In responding to Mohsen's ideas below I feel their rhetorical power in the sense that I
am persuaded by and agree with the meanings. However, if we are to bring the
embodied knowledges of educational practitioner-researchers into the Academy as
valid and legitimated knowledge won't we have to provide evidence of our educational
influences in learning and express with some clarity and evidence the living standards
of judgement we use to evaluate the validity of our contributions to educational
knowledge?

Mohsen, I have  responded  to your different points below to see if we can develop a
shared understanding of our meanings of educational influence and the standards of
judgement we use to evaluate our contributions to educational knowledge. I have
included urls to the evidence-based accounts of practitioner-researchers that I think
show living meanings of the words and meanings in your rhetoric.

Mohsen - "Richmond and Roach (1992) suggest that social influence is by definition
inherent in the role of a teacher. According to them, in order to have a lasting impact
on student learning, teachers must facilitate academic growth while, at the same time,
creating an environment conducive to learning. That is, we must establish and maintain
positive teacher-student relationships if we hope to have a positive influence on
learning. In this sense, teachers are constantly influencing learners’ learning. Some
may be aware of techniques, skills, knowledge, practices, strategies, classroom
management, their use of power in the classroom, etc. while others may be oblivious
of their influencing prism. Latin root of education, educere, connotes the bringing forth
or leading out of what is inside each child. Heidegger says teaching is to let the
learners learn. I think this act of letting would be of great avail in that it can lead to
learners’ independent thinking instead of forcing them, albeit artistically, to abide by the
prescriptive and proscriptive modes of the teacher."

Jack - I not only agree that this 'would be of great avail in that it can lead to learners'
independent thinking' I think that Ed Hawker in his educational enquiry 'How can I carry
out Masters level educational research without abandoning my own educational
values?' at http://www.jackwhitehead.com/tuesdayma/ehee06.htm , has explored the
implications of holding such beliefs in his educational practice, researched this
practice, and generated educational knowledge from this practice that has been
legitimated in the Academy.

Mohsen "In the meantime, if we look at the educational influences in terms of learning
as people like Peter Senge’s learning organization suggests, that requires a
fundamental change in perspective. That change of perspective is what I call affecting
the quality of life being the highest art. If we go with an ontological system that
translates the learner’s meaning beyond his/her natural self, Do we as educators not
have this mission at the apex of our agenda and in this sense are we not supposed to
influence learning? ( Whether we have the tangible evidence (in the common sense) or
not to prove this, we, having thought of this mission and being ontologically soaked into
that mission, we are influencing the learning of the learners). This influence may unfold
itself, in one level ,at the stage of intentionality where the educator's intention would
embrace the action  and the action, itself, would penetrate those who seek out
connectivity to the sublime self, albeit from numerous avenues of learning: the paths to
influence learning would be as infinite as the number of the people or as extensive as
the number of the breathing."

Jack - I do agree about the fundamental change of perspective. This is why I
emphasise the importance of Alan Rayner's work on inclusionality as a relationally
dynamic awareness of space and boundaries that is connective, reflexive and co-
creative (see http://people.bath.ac.uk/bssadmr/inclusionality/ ). I like your stress on
ontology and am very fortunate in working with practitioner-researchers here in Bath
who are willing to account for their own lives and learning in terms of their ontological
values and beliefs. Marion Naidoo's and Bernie Sullivan's doctoral theses are
particularly impressive for the way they hold themselves accountable to their values of
a passion for compassion and social justice respectively. These accounts can be
accessed from:
http://people.bath.ac.uk/edsajw/living.shtml

I also agree with you that that the paths to influence learning are as infinite as the
number of people. However, aren't there only a few values and understandings that if
lived more fully could contribute to the generation of a world of well-being and
educational quality? Because I think that living a few of these values more fully could
help to create a world of educational quality I like the ethical standards and standards
of practice of the Ontario College of Teachers where they stress the significance of the
values of care, trust, integrity and respect.

(see http://www.jackwhitehead.com/tuesdayma/octstandards.pdf )

I have drafted out a visual narrative for this coming Monday evening's educational
conversation at the University of Bath. It includes a video-clip that may resonate with
your idea of affecting the quality of life being the highest art. The narrative is
accessible from
http://www.jackwhitehead.com/jack/jwecarpaper.htm and the second url takes you to
the clip on You Tube that should start streaming quickly. I am wondering if such visual
narratives that focus on Alan's expression of inclusionality and the living presence and
relationships of ubuntu might contribute to the development of world leading standards
of judgment from our practitioner-research?

Love Jack.