JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  July 2005

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER July 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

the value of my experience for the future - an inquiry?

Yaqub Paul Murray <[log in to unmask]>

Yaqub Paul Murray <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:12:06 +0100

text/plain

the value of my experience for the future - an inquiry?

Hi Francis, Hello All,

I'd like to know more about this open source development model when I have
my thesis written.

I like your idea about how your values in your practice can be experienced
ostensively by colleagues around you. I am intrigued by your interest in
'affecting' future teachers through your values. I liken this to Jack
Whitehead's encouragement of me to frame my practice as a contribution to
evolving postcolonial social formations. There is something similar here,
but its beyond my reach of words for the moment. It could have something
do with how your 'research story' as a teacher could influence the
evolution
of future social formations of teachers for 'good'.

I don't know if you have seen James Finnegan's doctoral thesis. There
could
be a connectivity here. It is on Jack's web page www.actionresearch.net

Your ideas about collective memory and tacit knowledge embodied in your
practice is a powerful framing for your research.

I relate to 'collective memory' because it is often enacted and shared
through communal story telling. There is a link here to the knowledge of
indigenous peoples. Though to extend the idea of indigene, figuratively,
perhaps you would see yourself as an 'indigenous teacher'.

'Collective teacher memory' as knowledge, as expertise, as insight, and as
wisdom I suspect.

I work in a context of agricultural people, especially people associated
in
some way with farming. Farmer's have an incredible tacit knowledge, and a
profound 'collective memory' in a community of practice.

Okay - I am really absorbed by your idea:

"There is a considerable analysis to be done over the
effects of institutionalised oppression of rural communities and
particularly the denial of educational opportunity through policy. (My
school is in a very rural area and has suffered immensely due to political
policies.  The suffering is  personal, collegiate, humanitarian,
educational and institutional.)"

This has rich, multiple layers of significance, Francis. You point to them
powerfully.
Let's not be sanguine about the effects of institutionalised oppression of
rural communities and the denial of educational opportunity through
policy.
This is framed with huge energy for special justice and expresses the pain
of injustice, felt personally, not merely in the abstract.

As I craft my own 'Live Theorising' what excites me is the way that the
wider social an political context of oppression. When oppression is
institutionalised Joy James refers to it (in another context, that of the
institutionalised oppression of racism)  as 'state violence'.  In the
excerpt from your posting above I can see a most powerful way of placing
your phenomenal enquiry into values, existence, quality of work-life
balance
within a wider social and political context. This makes great sense to me.
The nature of the educational research that you could craft would have a
better self-socio-political balance. I am disappointed by those living
educational theory accounts that seem to have a 'self balance', not a
'self~socio-political' balance (to borrow your phrase).

 I am riveted by your grasp of an emergent self study~institutionalised
oppression balance. Your research enquiry framed in this way would have
such
significance, and could make such a difference within the Academy. As well
as enabling you to fulfil your values concerning work-life balance, too.

I really am drawn to the sub-text emerging as text as commitment to social
justice.

But what is fascinating about the questions you are trying to bring about
is
that the questions you have already brought about are so pertinent, so
urgent. In the Action Masters I convene, an MSc in Management Studies by
action research, this complex and muddy mix of what is profoundly
personal,
professional, social, political is what participants seem to be working
with. It is the clay of their life sculpting, the clay from the grounds of
their own lived experience that they use to sculpt possibility. The
contradictions, the managerialism, the organizational imperatives, the
rhetoric of care, and the abandonment of a duty of care in law. This
encounter with oppression masquerading as 'quality management' or
'leadership',  or whatever in organizations seems to fuel my pleasure in
both Critical Theory and Critical Management Studies (CMS)
http://aom.pace.edu/cms/Competition/Dissertation%20Award.htm

Just read through this web page until you get to the Critical Management
studies domain statement...I think it could resonate with you.

http://www.rac.ac.uk/~paul_murray/Documents/Tescoisation%20and%
20Walmartization38.doc

This was written in conversation with a business management student, James
Staples, who has achieved a 2.1 in his degree I learned today!

I am struck by the desire permeating your writing to do this messy but
incredibly important and delightful kind of research enquiry, Francis. A
self of values and relationships, and a self of socio-political
commitment.
Not a dualistic separation, but a synthesis held in your life, threaded
through your teaching and your social analysis.

I lecture in Human Resources, Organization Studies and Action Research at
the Royal Agricultural College (Cirencester, Gloucestershire).

Yes, I imagine a space, a public policy space, for your teacher self
study, which incorporates a socio-political analysis of the effects of
institutionalised oppression of rural communities. Yet what would give
this a live dimension is that your research would be held in the first and
second person grounds of your own lived, subjective experiences.

What I can imagine is a psycho-social doctoral self study of your teaching
practice that would be a carapace to explore your inextricable personal,
professional and wider contextual questions. I can imagine the delight of
life fulfilled, as well.

Best
Yaqub