Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Right to reply

COLETTE EATON <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:41:53 +0100

text/plain

Well said

>>> "Skeates,St.John DEAL Awards Tm"              <[log in to unmask]> 04/26/02 12:38pm >>>
Hmmm - so now by implication I'm racist and disabilist (?) too?

OK - I was quite happy to let this one die since I was out of the office
on Wednesday and only caught up on the furore yesterday. However since it
refuses to go away I think it's only fair that I have the right to reply.
This will, however be my last comment on the subject. And boy am I p*ssed
off!

It has been suggested that I apologise and make a commitment to keep my
sexist comments to myself. I will do neither. To do so would be the
height of hypocrisy. In fact I will go further and suggest that it is I
who deserve the apology from those who have derided me as sexist on the
basis of a single sentence. How dare you label me without knowing me or
my values and beliefs. To do so simply exposes your own despicable
prejudice and complete lack of tolerance for anyone who may hold
different views to your own.

If anyone was genuinely offended by my comment, rather than seeking to
opportunistically jump on the politically correct band wagon, come up to
Bedford and I will show you something to get offended about. I, like so
many others on this list I'm sure, live in a town steeped in poverty,
homelessness, violence, racial hatred, religious intolerance, and abuse.
Yet what really offends you? Words! If that really is the limit of your
social conscience, it's high time you took a walk in the real world
rather than dispensing your holier-than-thou missives in the mistaken
belief that it will somehow atone for your cosy middle class values.
You'd do more good by going and buying a copy of The Big Issue.

I don't believe in sexual equality. I don't believe in racial equality.
In fact I don't believe in any form of exclusionist equality who's prime
concern is to fight it's own corner, safely blinkered from any other
issues that may confuse things and paint the world as anything other than
black and white, right and wrong. I believe in equality - pure and
simple. I don't care if you are disabled, black, homosexual, Muslim,
homeless or whatever. All I care about is if you are getting a raw deal
from our so called caring society.  The minute you fight for one set of
rights at the expense of another, you are no better than those you look
down on with such relish.

And there can be no right more fundamental than that of free speech! Even
if I were the worlds greatest bigot, my right to express my views should
be paramount, as is your right to refute them. You may debate with me but
you may not silence me. You may disagree with me but you may not
patronise me. You may despise me but you may not label me. So no, I will
not keep my comments to myself irrespective of how they may be
interpreted by the petty minded and intolerant.

Finally let's consider the specifics of the comment that has caused so
much moral outrage. I'm sure Ms Minogue is a wonderful, free thinking,
independent woman who would no more be tethered to a cooker than I would
sit though an entire episode of Michael Barrymore's My Kind of People.
However, she (or her record label if you want to be cynical) has chosen
to use her sexuality as a means of self promotion and therefore, I
assume, accepts the attitudes which it will inevitably evoke. Had I made
the comment about a work colleague, you would have every right to be
outraged. I didn't. I made it about an image, an icon, a phantom even and
a self-created one at that. In fact my quip simply goes to prove the
success with which Ms Minogue has reinvented herself over the last 5
years and I'm not sure she would thank you for leaping to her defence.

OK I'm done. As I said it was my intention to let sleeping dogs lie but
certain remarks made that quite impossible as far as I am concerned. And
yes I do have better things to do - tilting at windmills is not one of
them.

Happy Friday everyone :)

St.John Skeates
Individual