Re: Interview notes

Tim Trent <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:21:52 -0000

text/plain

The solicitor, based on what we know, behaved in a very silly way.

Now look at the list of prosecutions in the UKIC's 2004 report on the last
page:

http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/cms/DocumentUploads/annual%20repor
t%20summary%202004.pdf is the document or http://tinyurl.com/62e7a

Eight individuals and one corporation.  Hmm.  Nine prosecutions.  So two of
these were obviously not solicitors then :) We can check this if we care by
the law Society's website that has all the solicitors in the UK.  There
should be seven matches from the list with solicitors.  Out of 11,644
completed cases of which they state 1,197 had no assessment made or were
declined (that is 10% or so adjudged to be frivolous, presumably?).  So, 9
prosecutions out of 11644 minus 1197, or 0.08614%.

Educate me some more when I next get a parking ticket.  I would like to get
away with that ratio of parking fines.

They say (and it is better formatted in the report):

Recorded Outcomes
Advice given (including telecoms) 5690 57.0%
Request for assessment declined 628
Threshold criteria not met 569
Sub total 1197 12.0%
Compliance unlikely 1588 16.0%
Compliance likely 1469 15.0%
(percentages calculated to give 100% of outcomes listed)
TOTAL 9944 100%

So what has happened to the 1,469 where compliance is unlikely?  What will
happen?  Shall we see the list in the next annual report of 1,469
prosecutions?  And will that sensitive data be published on the UKIC's
website, arguably against the law he regulates?

I am now going to stop ranting.  It’s pretty boring to read, after all.