Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Few Queries[Scanned]

Bernard Doherty <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.

Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:36:42 +0100

text/plain

Karen and John seem to share a misconception: I see no reason why students
should get only one shot at an assessment or making a claim against the DSA.
The award runs for the students' course.  If a new product appears, if
students' conditions or courses changes or if there were errors or
oversights in the initial assessment, amendments and additions can be
considered.  DSA assessments really aren't brain surgery: if a mistake has
been made, it can always be rectified later(particularly if the students
played no part in the making of the error).  It is wasteful and inefficient
to make mistakes, but it is not a matter of life and death and there is no
need for hysterical denunciations of a whole profession, all the members of
which will sometimes perform at less than perfection.

In the same vain, I believe that the temptation to view assessors as
quasi-medical professionals should be resisted: we work in higher education,
not the Health Service or Social Services, and our goal is to assist
students complete their studies to the best of their abilities.  While this
may coincide with the kind of generalised holistic concern for students'
well being that has characterised some recent descriptions of the assessor's
role, it is specifically not the intended purpose of DSA expenditure.  The
recent references to an ever-expanding range of stakeholders perhaps
obscures the fact that the putative £500 comes from the DSA and the primary
purpose of the assessment is to identify legitimate course expenditure faced
by students as a result of disability, a finite and achievable goal.

Regards, Bernard

Bernard Doherty
Assessor
East Anglia Regional ACCESS Centre