DATA-PROTECTION  1999

DATA-PROTECTION 1999

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

RE: [Fwd: Re: Exam scripts - Personal Data Exempt - Marks Not]

"Street, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Oct 1999 18:11:31 +0100

text/plain

As requested here is more info re FOI & DPA
firstly a snip from recent article about FOI based on Freedom of Information
Consultation Document (Cm 4355).
Relationship to Data Protection
I highlighted in issue 68 the links drawn between these two areas of
legislation, it is established that the FOI Act will link to the Data
Protection Act in that if disclosure of personal information is permitted
under the DP Act then there will be a right to it under the FOI Act, and the
converse is true.

The paper confirms the view that the roles of Information and Data
Protection Commissioner will be combined. This is a change from the original
White Paper and is based on the fact that many requests for information may
involve elements of personal information and authorities will need to
co-ordinate the data protection issues and balance access and privacy
rights.  The Bill contains revisions to the Data Protection Act 1998 in
relation to public authorities and extends the coverage in respect of
accuracy and of subject access to all manual or non-automated files even if
they are not part of a "relevant filing system". Subject access is also
changed in that  relatively structured information will be treated as now
but the residual information will not be disclosed if it is not expressly
described in the request or if the cost to provide it would exceed the
prescribed cost ceiling.-

secondly extracts from FOI bill showing amendments to DPA 1998.
--------------------

Public Bodies & Data Protection Act 1998
Amendments proposed in the FOI Bill 1999
Several amendments are proposed in the Freedom of Information Bill, that
only apply to public bodies. They are detailed below,

Section 7(1)
substitute for "sections 8 and 9" the words "sections 8, 9 and 9A"
Insert section 9A
(1) This section "unstructured personal data" means any personal data
falling within paragraph (e) of the definition of "data" in section 1(1),
other than information which is recorded as part of, or with the intention
that it should form part of, any set of information relating to individuals
to the extent that the set is structured by reference to individuals or by
reference to criteria relating to individuals.
(2) A public Authority is not obliged to comply with subsection (1) of
section 7 in relation to any unstructured personal data unless the request
under that section contains a description of the data.

(3) Even if the data are described by the data subject in his request, a
public authority is not obliged to comply with section (1) of section 7 in
relation to unstructured data if the authority estimates that the cost of
complying with that request so far as relating to those data would exceed
the appropriate limit.
(4) Subsection (3) does not exempt the public authority from its obligation
to comply with paragraph (a) of section 7(1) in relation to the unstructured
personal data unless the cost of complying with that paragraph alone in
relation to those data would exceed the appropriate limit.

(5) in Subsection (3) and (4) "the appropriate limit" means such amount as
may be prescribed by the secretary of State by regulations, and different
amounts may be prescribed in relation to different cases.

(6) Any Estimate for the purposes of this section must be made in accordance
with regulations under section 12(5) of the Freedom of Information Act
1999."

There are also revision to Data Protection Act regarding Manual data held by
public authorities this involves these changes

Section 33
	 insertion of a new clause 33A

33A.-(1)
Personal Data falling within paragraph (e) of the definition of "data" in
section 1(1) are exempt from:-
(a) First, second, third, fifth seventh and eighth data protection
principles.
(b) The sixth principle in so far as it relates to rights conferred on data
subjects by sections 7 and 14.
(c) sections 10 to 12.
(d) Section 13, except so far as it relates to damage caused by a
contravention of section 7 or of the fourth data protection principle and to
any distress which is also  suffered by reason of that contravention.
(e) Part III.
(f) Section 55.
(2) Personal Data which falls under paragraph (e) of the definition of
"data" in section 1(1) and relate to appointments or removals, pay,
discipline, superannuation or other personal matters, in relation to:-
(a)Service in any armed forces of the crown
(b)service in any office or employment under the crown or under any public
authority, or
(c)service in any office or employment, or under any contract for services,
in respect of which power to take action, or to determine or approve the
action taken, in such matters is vested in Her Majesty, any minister of the
crown, or any public authority,

Is also exempt from the remaining data protection principles and the
remaining provisions of part II.
In section 55
In subsection (8) after "section 28" insert "or 33A"
In Section 16(1)
		Before the word "and" inserted
"(ff) where the data controller is a public authority, a statement of that
fact,".
In section 34
		After the word "enactment" insert
 "other than an enactment contained in the Freedom of Information Act 1999"