DIS-FORUM  April 2014

DIS-FORUM April 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: The end of dyslexia in higher education?

Dr M Herrington <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.

Thu, 10 Apr 2014 16:39:41 -0400

text/plain

Julian...Until I have read your work I am loathe to comment but I
suspect your suggestion that colleagues do not welcome dialogue is
rather unfair. As far as I can see they are pointing up the possibility
that in the hands of some policy makers,such a  provocative title may be
used to reduce the 'support 'which a number of students in HE actually
require in order to complete their courses? It is not unthinking to
identify some of the political realities? And you must be aware of how
un-nuanced much public policy is?
As for the academic debates themselves,many of us have ,for many years,
pointed up the competing narratives about dyslexia within education
policy and practice, the social construction of the 'differences' etc
and long ago rejected the medical 'deficit' model.Personally I have
always advocated investigative practice,informed by a radical academic
literacy perspective and working with students as co-investigators. I
look forward to reading your work.
Margaret Herrington

Dr M Herrington
The Old School