DATA-PROTECTION  May 2012

DATA-PROTECTION May 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Can we ever control our digital persona or is the DPA only an illusion?

Lawrence Serewicz <[log in to unmask]>

Lawrence Serewicz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 May 2012 18:08:32 +0000

text/plain

Ian,

Thanks for a thoughtful post in response. I appreciate the distinction between public and private can be blurred at times.  We give information privately that is made public without our knowledge and control.  It happens because life is messy or we just forget that this was intended.  I include my telephone number on a warranty card without reading the fine print.

The lifespan issue is understandable. I would expect that when court case finishes the information changes context. I would not expect that before my statement has been considered by the court, the reason why it was taken, that it would be disclosed, or accessed.

On the PHD issue, I cannot agree. The PhD is a public document because it is a public evidence that the person is qualified.  The examination, of which the thesis is part, is a public examination. For many PhDs the thesis is the first and only publication.  There is nothing private about the public examination.  Nor does it ever return to the private sphere.

If someone were to glean private information from that public document, someone favours a certain word pattern that suggests they have a dialect, then that would not be unexpected. Surprising yes, but not unexpected given the public document can be accessed for any purpose.

I agree that protections are limited. My point was to focus on private individuals.  Public organisations can and do have access. I would expect the CPS to access my witness statement. I would not expect private individual X to have access just because they asked.  I would expect the DPA to stop that.  Moreover, I would not expect that private investigator YY would have access because they asked or because they are part of a wider public safety net.  If a third party had a need to know, then it should be within the wider context of a public activity not a private activity.  In other words, a private investigator (or private individual) working to obtain the private information (witness statement) from a public organisation, is not acting in the public interest.  They are doing the bidding of a private individual.  As such, I cannot see a public interest in that disclosure (or access or sharing).

Perhaps there is one, I just cannot see it. Moreover, I cannot see how anyone giving a witness statement would have that expectation of such sharing or access. However, if such information is available just by asking, then it raises the question about the purpose or promise of the data protection act.  After all, how will I ever know that police force x or public body y is giving my information to person XX?

What this means is I have no control over my digital persona. Perhaps this is only right given that control, on many levels is an illusion fostered by our ego and identity.  Then again, in the future we may have the capacity to control our digital persona if only by a negative means.  For example, I could see the possibility where I can, instead of submitting an SAR, make a request (perhaps the equivalent of the big blue button) and see what personal information has been processed up to date in real time. For example, I can check my last transaction on my bank account. Why can I not check access to my personal information as easily? To be sure, I could not necessarily spot the illegal sharing, but I could have a better idea of where it may have come from especially if the output shows the last time the data was accessed.

Some interesting thoughts, thanks for the stimulating post.

Best,

Lawrence