Re: Interaction between DPA and FOI

Ian Welton <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:29:01 +0100

text/plain

In my opinion it would have been far simpler to rely on an 'acting in a
public capacity' type argument, which could have been simpler and more
flexible in the relevant area without creating the additional difficulties
of finely re-focusing the personal data definition in all spheres.

But then I suppose that public servants who may have wished to maintain
their 'organisational privacy' by using posts or numbers instead of names,
would have increased the depersonalisation of social groups and caused much
personal responsibility/accountability to be lost.

Although the current situation could be seen to remove some personal
responsibility/autonomy from the shoulders of data controllers and certainly
within the private sector does seem to have wider affect.  Simpler than a
separate private sector DPA, and, if one is to believe most corporate
publicity, private sector organisations are far less likely to abuse data
subjects privacy rights when protecting the corporate assets.

Contentiousness and Employment laws/RIPA aside, scepticism must creep in
when a complete area of a widely protective mechanism is removed without
public discussion or consultation.

Ian W