RADSTATS  2004

RADSTATS 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: social value of racial classification

Dave Gordon <[log in to unmask]>

Dave Gordon <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:13:14 +0000

text/plain

I could not agree more with Robert Moore - this debate with John Baker
appears to be futile. I wish Richard Dawkins luck should he be unwise
enough to reply to this 'scientific racist' drivel

Best wishes

Dave

Robert Moore wrote:

> [...]
>> resources to other aspects of reproductive effort” .Whether or not one
>> accepts this argument, based on twin frequency, he claims that his
>> Chapter 8 discussion, on reproductive effort and sexual investment,
>> shows
>> Mongoloids and Negroids were consistently at opposite extremes, with
>> Caucasoids intermediate. This applied to:
>>
>> 1.Intercourse frequencies (premarital, marital, extramarital)
>>
>> 2.Development precocity (age of first intercourse, age of first
>> pregnancy, number of pregnancies)
>>
>> 3.Primary sexual characteristics (size of penis, vagina, testes,
>> ovaries).
>>
>> 4. Secondary sexual characteristics (salient voice, muscularity,
>> buttocks, breasts).
>>
>> 5. Biological control of behaviour (length of menstrual cycle,
>> periodicity of sexual response, predictability of life history from
>> onset
>> of puberty).
>>
>> 6. Sex hormones ( testosterone, gonadotropins, FSH)
>>
>> 7. Attitudes (permissiveness to pre-marital sex, expectation of
>> extramarital sex).
>>
>> (This tabulation is given on page 214 in his later Chapter 10 on
>> life-history theory).
>>

>> Apart from Intelligence, perhaps the most controversial variables are
>> connected with “Law Abidingness” and Crime, dealt with in Chapter 8.
>>
>> In an earlier Behavioural Genetics chapter he had reviewed evidence on
>> criminality based on twin and adoption studies, some of it done by
>> Eysenck and collaborators (this was not about racial differences). He
>> concludes that these studies do show a strong genetic influence.
>>

>> Now in Chapter 8, pages 157 -160, he reviews evidence bearing on
>> possible
>> racial differences, and concludes that such differences do exist, but he
>> specifically point out that there is nothing here to support the idea of
>> pure races, and there is a great variation within races.
>>

>> Conclusion relating the matters I have discussed in this r-K section of
>> my e-mail.
>>

>> Quite simply, if there is any truth in the analysis I have very briefly
>> reviewed, racial classification has got a social value”.
>>

>> ****************************************************** Please note that
>> if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender
>> of this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use your
>> mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to
>> *******************************************************
>

> Professor Robert Moore
> Department of Sociology,Social
> Policy and Social Work Studies
> University of Liverpool
> L69 7BZ
>
> 44 (0) 1352 714456

> Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
> message will go only to the sender of this message.
> If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
> 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically

Dave Gordon
Townsend Centre for International Poverty Research
University of Bristol
8 Priory Road
Bristol BS8 1TZ, UK

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]