DRS_NEWS March 1999

David Durling <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:18:34 +0000

TEXT/PLAIN

                        D R S _ N E W S

    The electronic newsletter of the Design Research Society

                       Volume 4, Number 3

                           March 1999

CONTENTS

o   Editor's space

o   Multi-Viewpoint,Shaping the Human Computer Interface

o   Conference: Useful And Critical

o   Announcements & Calls for Papers

o   Questions, questions

o   Cyber News

o   The Design Research Society: details of membership

o   Electronic Services of the DRS

o   Contributing to DRS_NEWS

EDITOR'S SPACE

The DRS website is being updated this week, so in a few days
time there will be a bit more content at http://www.drs.org.uk

If Bertrand from the Centre du Design Rhone Alpes would like to
send me his email address, I will pass it on to someone who has
inquired about his letter in last month's 'Questions Questions'.

MULTI-VIEWPOINT,SHAPING THE HUMAN COMPUTER INTERFACE

We would like to thank all those people who attended
"Multi-viewpoint, Shaping the Human Computer Interface" at the
Centre for Design Research.  The event, which focused on the
many implications of the digital on the design profession, was
well attended and proved to be an exciting and informative day.

In particular, we would like to thank all the guest speakers
including Professor Harold Thimbleby (Middlesex University),
Kim Fisher (BT), Dave Roberts (IBM), Walter Penndorf (aka design
visualisation), Steve Bailey (octo design), Nina
Warburton (Random Product Design), and Kevin McCullagh
(Freelance Design Strategist), for their valuable contributions.

The conference was part of an on-going series of events
concerned with furthering design practice by looking at the way
designers use computers to design three dimensional interfaces
in Virtual Reality, Computer Aided Design and 3D modelling.
This research initiative has been formed into a project called
'Visualise', which is motivated by the desire to expand our
understanding of the potential of three dimensional virtual
forms to make communication more intuitive and empathic.

Those with an interest in the themes of the conference and other
events in the 'Visualise' project can search the web pages
which are located at http://vision.unn.ac.uk/visualise.  This
site represents a forum to discuss the role of three dimensional
digital form, and charts past and future events as well
as providing general resources and information about the
Visualise project.

We will be continuing the themes of the day with our next event
entitled "Envisioning the future of interface" to be held
in Autumn 1999.

"Multi-viewpoint, Shaping the Human Computer Interface"-
included the following presentations.

"What is the Computer Medium?"
Professor Harold Thimbleby

 "Can Three Dimensionality Reveal New Knowledge?"
Andrea Cooper

"Using 3D, A Practitioners Perspective, the Pitfalls &
Potentials." Kim Fisher

"Choosing the Real World as your Metaphor"
Dave Roberts

"Representing Reality"
Walter Penndorf

"How Real?"
Steve Bailey

"The Integration of the Digital in the Design Process"
Nina Warburton

"Industrial Designers: The New Craftsmen of Media?"
Tobias Misera

"How Can Theory Assist Practice?"
Kevin McCullagh

Robert Young
Centre for Design Research, University of
Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

DESIGN STUDIES

Volume 20 Number 2 (March 1999) is a special issue on Design
Education, guest edited by Chuck Eastman, Wendy Newstetter and
Michael McCracken of Georgia Institute of Technology, USA.

Contents:

Educating the designerly thinker
R Oxman

To design vs to understand design: The role of graphic
representations and verbal expressions
Z Ulusoy

A comparison of freshman and senior engineering design processes
CJ Atman, JR Chimka, KM Bursic, HL Nachtmann

Expertise and the use of visual analogy: Implications for design
education H Casakin, G Goldschmidt

Types and instances: A paradigm for teaching design with
computers L Madrazo

"Stuckness" in the design studio
A Sachs

Walking on a thin line
A Heylighen, JE Bouwen, H Neuckermans

CONFERENCE: USEFUL AND CRITICAL - THE POSITION OF RESEARCH IN
DESIGN - CALL FOR PAPERS.  9-11 September 1999: International
Conference, Tuusula, Finland.

The University of Art and Design Helsinki UIAH is organising an
international conference on design research focusing on the uses
of research in design, its industrial and commercial
utilisation, and its both proactive and critical role in the
design system in general. The conference is intended for
researchers, doctoral students and design practitioners.  The
Useful and Critical -conference will follow up the discussion
and topics of the No Guru, No Method? International Art and
Design Research Conference held in Helsinki three years ago.
This time, however, we will be focusing on the uses of research
in design, its industrial and commercial utilisation, and its
both proactive and critical role in the design system in
general.

The organisers are now calling for proposals for papers related
to the issues listed below. Papers may reflect these topics on a
general level or present illustrative cases that demonstrate
their use in practice.

THEME National programs for design, and for using it to gain a
competitive edge in international trade and commerce, are
currently being drawn up worldwide, including in Finland and the
other Nordic countries, as well as in Brazil, South Korea and
the UK. These programs view research as a prime mover, and a key
instrument in producing the knowledge that fuels the development
of design and the related fields.

In the increasingly global market economy, what is the role of
design research in product development, product differentiation,
mass customisation, and the cultural profiling of products? Does
it mean locating niches of potential consumption, or
company-based, regional and national efforts to promote design?
How can research generate new knowledge and skills in agencies
that provide design services?

On the other hand, what is the critical role of research in this
context? Can research remain autonomous or is it no more than a
mute servant or a proactive tool for advancing a greater cause -
design and its commercial utilisation?

TOPICS
- research and national agendas for design

- the position of research in design promotion (micro, meso and
macro-level efforts)

- research and the practice of design agencies

- design, product development, manufacture, research

- the position of the "design system" in relation to national
systems of innovation

- design, research and modes of consumption: only new market
shares count, or do ethics come into it?

- producing culture-based knowledge to serve design-based
industries and trade

- research on design in a cultural context: what can it
contribute?

- design and gender - research and critical theory: sharing the
mission, or constructive critique?

Submission of abstracts: Abstracts should preferably be sent by
e-mail to [log in to unmask] or by regular mail on diskette
(3.5") with a paper copy to: University of Art and Design
Helsinki UIAH, Hameentie 153 B, 00560 Helsinki, Finland.

DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS IS MARCH 31, 1999.

For further information visit our Web site:
http://www.uiah.fi/conferences/summeracad/

Pekka Korvenmaa Chairman of the Organising Committee

ANNOUNCEMENTS & CALLS FOR PAPERS

*   Keep up to date with themes and issues in ergonomics
    research and practice.

    Global Ergonomics is the complete proceedings of the
    ergonomics conference held in Cape Town, South Africa, 9-11
    September 1998. Jointly hosted by the Ergonomics Society of
    South Africa (ESSA) and the International Ergonomics
    Association (IEA), it represented the largest and most
    prestigious gathering of eminent international ergonomists
    in the history of Africa.

    The conference examined international advances, problems and
    trends and evaluated their application to both industrially
    developed and developing countries.

    For further information about Global Ergonomics, please
    visit our web site at:

    http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/isbn/0080433340

    *   Final Call for Papers

    Special Issue on Digital Technologies in Theatre &
    Performance

    Deadline for the receipt of all material - 30 April 1999

    Digital Creativity is an international journal which
    publishes peer-reviewed articles concerned with the
    relationship of digital technologies to traditional creative
    practices.  Articles are relevant to both practitioners and
    those engaged in education. The journal will accept full
    articles reporting significant achievements (5000-7000 word
    papers), descriptions of work in progress (2000 word papers)
    and expressions of important points of view (2000 word
    papers).  Authors are encouraged to use graphical
    illustrations to accompany their text wherever appropriate.

    This special issue will contain articles that relate to any
    aspect of theatre, drama or performance.  Of particular
    interest will be articles which explore new forms of
    performance or new processes within theatre made possible by
    digital technologies (both computers and communications).

    If you would like to submit material, or wish to discuss a
    possible submission, then please contact:  Colin Beardon,
    University of Plymouth,  Earl Richards Road North, Exeter
    EX2 6AS, UK.  Tel +44 1392 475028  Fax +44 1392 475012
    email: [log in to unmask]

    Digital Creativity 10(3) will be published October 1999

    For more information on the Digital Creativity' journal see
    <www.swets.nl/sps/journals/dc1.html>

*   CALL FOR PROPOSALS  -  Deadline 9 APRIL 1999 Association
    for Learning Technology 6th International Conference
    THE LEARNING TECHNOLOGY LIFE-CYCLE
    Tuesday to Thursday 21 - 23 SEPTEMBER 1999 University of
    Bristol, UK

    CONFERENCE PROGRAMME

    ALT-C 99 will examine the entire life-cycle of learning
    technology, from initial design through to implementation
    and outcome evaluation. Effective use of learning technology
    depends upon  integration within traditional academic and
    curricular frameworks, and ALT-C 99 will focus on
    discipline-base implementation and address associated issues
    of policy and staff development.
    Deadline for submission is 9 APRIL 1999.
    For all details and on-line submission:
    http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/alt-c99/
    Please complete and email/post your submission to: CTI
    Support Service ALT-C99 Proposal University of Oxford 13
    Banbury Road Oxford  OX2 6NN UK Email: [log in to unmask]

*   REMINDER! REMINDER! REMINDER! CALL FOR PAPERS Engineering
    Design Education Conference 1999: The Continuum of Design
    Education Glasgow 7-9 September 1999 Incorporating:  SEED
    '99 PDE '99

    The Engineering Design Education Conference 1999 will
    incorporate the 21st annual conference on Engineering Design
    Education under the auspices of SEED (Shared Experience in
    Engineering Design) and the 6th National Conference on
    Product Design Education under the auspices of the
    Institution of Engineering Designers. The conference will be
    organized by the Higher Education Institutions in Glasgow
    and supported by the Glasgow 1999 Partnership Fund.

    The theme of the conference is The Continuum of Design
    Education. Papers are invited from all members of the design
    community involved in the education of the next generation
    of designers: primary and secondary school teachers,
    university and college lecturers and practising designers.
    The purpose of the conference is to share experiences and
    contribute to the body of knowledge of design education. The
    scope of papers will not be restricted as long as they
    reflect the general conference theme.

    Additional information may be found on the conference web
    site at:

    http://www.strath.ac.uk/Departments/DMEM/EDE99

*   7 April 1999:  Royal Society of Arts, London: Patricia
    Moore, eminent gerontologist and designer will be giving a
    lecture 'Ageing - a Lifespan Challenge'. Contact the RSA
    Lecture Programme Office at 00 44 (0) 171 930 9286 or
    E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>. Richard Wilson, actor
    most famous for his role in the UK television programme 'One
    foot in the Grave', will be chairing the lecture.

*   10 March 1999: ENSURING USABLE INTELLIGENT USER INTERFACES
    at Hotel Calipolis, Sitges, Spain.  The workshop will review
    existing methodology of user centred design and usability
    engineering in the light of innovative intelligent
    information interfaces (the central mission of i3 related
    initiatives and projects). The workshop will happen in the
    course of the i3 spring days, which will establish and
    maintain connections of different projects that are dealing
    with innovative design methods. Especially this workshop
    shall help designers, user interface engineers and usability
    engineers to exchange experiences and to think of improved
    and new methodological approaches.

    Institute for Applied Computer Science Department for
    Advanced Computer Engineering University of Vienna
    lenaugasse 2/8, a-1080, Vienna, Austria, Europe tel:
    +43-1-4086366-21   fax: +43-1-4080450 mail to:[log in to unmask]
    http://www.dfki.de/imedia/workshops/i3-spring99/

*   3 June 1999: 5th Conference on Human Factors and the
    Web: The Future of Web Applications.  PAPER and PANEL
    SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MARCH 8, 1999.  National Institute of
    Standards and Technology Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA

    The fifth in a series of Human Factors and the Web
    conferences will be held on Thursday, June 3, 1999 at the
    National Institute of Standards and Technology,
    Gaithersburg, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, DC.

    The purpose of these conferences is to provide a forum for
    sharing information among a community of human factors
    engineers, designers, and developers who are interested in
    producing web sites that are more useful and usable. The
    first four conferences were sponsored by Sandia National
    Laboratories (March 1996), Microsoft Corporation (October
    1996), US West Communications (June 1997), and AT&T Labs
    (June 1998). This year's conference will be hosted by NIST
    and sponsored, in part, by AT&T Labs.  We are still seeking
    additional sponsors.

    Web Site: http://www.nist.gov/hfweb

*   25-27 April 1999:  THE 4TH CONFERENCE ON DESIGN
    MANAGEMENT IN THE DIGITAL ENVIRONMENT "Creating, Enhancing,
    and Positioning Brands in the Digital Environment", Art
    Center College of Design Pasadena, California, USA.  Web
    site at <http://www.dmi.org>

*   29-30 June 1999:  Workshop Call for Participation Towards a
    Framework of Interaction and Experience As It Relates To
    Product Design.  Usability Professional's Association
    Conference Scottsdale, Arizona

    While experience has long been a topic of interest to
    philosophers, it has only recently come into vogue among
    designers and business people. The ACM/interactions Design
    Award criteria, published in 1996 by Alben, was one of the
    first articles to articulate to the HCI community an
    explicit position on the possibility of designing
    experiences. More recently, an article in the Harvard
    Business Review argued that the world is transitioning from
    a service economy to an experience economy.

    However, we seem to be in no better position to understand
    human experience or how to design for it. The interactions
    criteria, while providing some direction to the design
    community, were preliminary; the HBR article doesn't offer
    any new insights into how to design for this new economy.
    What seems to be missing is a clear idea about what
    experience is; what its components or elements are; and,
    perhaps more importantly, whether it even can be designed or
    scripted, or whether we must be content to facilitate it or
    to keep from hindering it. In addition, we need to
    understand better the principles of how people interact with
    various types of artifacts, and how those interactions
    affect the experiences people have. Finally, these theories,
    to be useful, need to find expression in design processes,
    materials, and forms.

    This workshop will explore these questions, with two goals:
    first, to gather together a small community of people
    interested in this topic, and second, to make some progress
    in mapping out the theoretical space as it stands today; to
    gather some data to help us begin to think about what we
    kinds of experiences we can facilitate and how interaction
    styles might affect these experiences (a taxonomy of sorts);
    and to begin to understand implications for product design
    and usability testing processes.

    We are looking for participants who are currently working
    with theories of experience (for example, putting activity
    theory into practice), are actively involved in trying to
    define user experiences and to design for them (for example,
    trying to produce "flow" experiences in computer games), or
    have a serious interest in what interaction design and
    design for experience means. To apply, send us a brief
    description of your area of interest and work as it relates
    to these topics (1-3 pages). For the workshop, we will ask
    participants to bring some examples with them to the
    workshop (images, magazine clippings, artifacts, etc.) that
    for them represent different types of interaction and/or
    experience. These examples could be software, hardware, or
    any other artifact or natural object. We will also ask
    participants to share their "top 10" references on the
    workshop topic.

    Registering for a Workshop Workshops are closed sessions;
    you may register for a workshop only with permission of the
    workshop organiser. To participate, send your application to
    one of the following addresses by March 15, 1999:

    Shannon Ford E-Lab, LLC 213 W. Institute Place, Suite 509
    Chicago, IL 60610 +1 312 640 4459 [log in to unmask]

    Jodi Forlizzi E-Lab, LLC 213 W. Institute Place, Suite 509
    Chicago, IL 60610 +1 312 640 4438 [log in to unmask]

    For more information: http://www.upassoc.org

*   The Role of Product Design in Post-Industrial Society.
    In the midst of debates on globalisation, this book attempts
    to depict the theoretical topography of product design at
    the turn of the century. The wide spectrum of ideas, variety
    of approaches and controversial viewpoints explored by well
    established writers and designers in this book, portray a
    terra inferma from where a contemporary philosophy of design
    is being derived.

    Edited by: Tevfik Balcioglu Published jointly by: Kent
    Institute of Art & Design and Middle East Technical
    University.  For enquiries please contact Julie Ross,
    mornings only. Tel: 01634 83 00 22 ext: 401 Fax: 01634 82 03
    00 Email: [log in to unmask]

*   5-7 July 1999:  Matrix Conference.  The United Kingdom
    is acknowledged as world leader in research in design and
    art practice [..it says here - Ed.].  The fourth symposium
    in the successful Matrix series is to be held  at Central
    Saint Martins College of Art and Design, London.  It will
    examine the position of research in design and art practice
    at the millennium with keynote speakers on major themes
    affecting these disciplines and bringing together examples
    of successfully completed research degrees. In the UK a
    'critical mass' of research degrees has been achieved and
    the symposium has parallel strands on research in design,
    art (both including practice-based), cross-disciplinary art
    and design, and theory and history.  Sessions are to be
    chaired by experienced supervisors with a total of thirty
    presentations that will later be published as a 'handbook of
    models for research degrees.' The fee for the three day
    symposium is around 250., and 100 for students and those
    giving papers.  Tea and coffee are included, meals and
    accommodation are not.  There will be a reception at the
    exhibition opening on the first day. As with earlier
    symposia in the Matrix series, overall direction is shared
    through an advisory panel representing significant research
    groupings from across the UK including Carole Gray of Gray's
    School of Art, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen and Martin
    Woolley, Goldsmiths College, University of London.
    Organization is under the direction of Stuart Evans and
    Malcolm LeGrise at Central Saint Martins. The deadline for
    presentation proposals is Friday 23, April and should not be
    longer than 2 sides of A4.  Proposals should be sent to:
    MATRIX 4 Attn: Stewart Evans or Trish Lyons Central Saint
    Martins College of Art and Design Southampton Row London
    WC1B 4AP tel: 0170 514 7109 fax: 0171 514 7024 Please
    contact us if you have any questions or would like to book a
    place at the symposium.

*   13-14 March 1999:  CROSSCURRENTS: KEY ISSUES IN
    CONTEMPORARY CREATIVITY, Exeter Phoenix, Bradninch Place,
    Exeter. Further info & block booking: 0117 9043427

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS

*   Hello, I am a design consultant in Chicago, originally
    from UK and with a background in engineering and design.
    Some people in England may remember my first commercial
    success the GEC plastic jug kettle. My recent work is based
    around the principles of Coherent Research, a method of
    helping companies achieve consensus on product development,
    then integrate resultant market and design research
    activities.

    You can read about CR on my website and in the Forum page at
    http://www.dhadesign.com/forum.htm The work is somewhat
    radical in it's attempt to challenge the language barriers
    between established disciplines, but remember it's focus is
    integration and consensus.

    Please let me know what you think or consider contributing
    an article for the forum page on CR or a new topic

    David Harris David Harris Associates 689 N Milwaukee Ave
    Chicago Il 60622

CYBER NEWS: snippets from the networks

*   Its called "picturespace.com." It's a new site that's
    just being developed but that promises to be "Your Online
    Photo Album." Holy slide show, what will they think of next?
    http://www.picturespace.com

*   Creativity Routemap is an interactive web-book that
    highlights quality internet sites on creativity and
    innovation. A comprehensive evaluation process has
    highlighted over 50 sites. Each site has an short abstract
    with a hot button-link direct into internet to access
    information immediately. Creativity Routemap provides an
    essential resource for busy executives, consultants and
    educators who need to develop new ideas under pressure!.
    Cost: 15 uk pounds (diskette- cross platform)
    To order please email to [log in to unmask]

*   "A Call for Universal Design Exemplars" Universal Design
    Exemplars is a project jointly sponsored by the National
    Endowment for the Arts (NEA), NEC Foundation of America, and
    The Center for Universal Design in the School of Design at
    North Carolina State University. Up to 50 projects that
    demonstrate universal design excellence from across the
    design disciplines will be included in a CD ROM of Universal
    Design Exemplars. The full application package is online at:

http://www.design.ncsu.edu/cud/center/projects/ud_exemplars.htm

*   The revised edition of the Universal Design File:
    Designing for People of All Ages and Abilities has been
    printed and orders are being accepted.  It sells for $24.00.
    Contact the Center for Universal Design at <[log in to unmask]>.
    The publication is also available online at:
    http://www.design.ncsu.edu/cud/pubs/ud_file/toc3b14.htm

*   There is a very good emailed newsletter about universal
    design.  E-mail Elaine Ostroff at [log in to unmask] to be
    included on the list.

*   You might want to check out the NetG page at:
    http://www.netg.com/evaluate.htm

*   The new DESIGN-ENGINE.COM has been unveiled
    http://www.design-engine.com

*   JSTOR is a web-based electronic archive collection of
    core research journals. Subject categories incl economics,
    sociology, education, statistics etc.  Over 70 of the
    journals listed can be accessed online.  The full list is
    available at: http://www.jstor.ac.uk/about/field.list.html

*   For anyone who has been receiving the paper-based IBM
    Ergonomics Update newsletter since 1993, it's now gone over
    to the web.  From the Winter 1998 edition, it is published
    only at IBM's Healthy Computing website at
    http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/healthycomputing.  Just click on
    'news' and you'll find the current edition.

DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

The Design Research Society was established in 1967, reflecting
a belief among academics and professionals from different design
communities that the essence of the activity called design
was common to many disciplines.

The Society has facilitated an international design research
network in 35 countries comprising members who maintain
contact through the publications and activities of the Society.
Members are drawn from diverse backgrounds, not only from the
traditional areas of design, ranging from fine art to
engineering, but also from subjects like psychology and computer
science.

The goals of the Society are to:

o   promote communication across the boundaries of all design
    disciplines

o   provide a forum to exchange and communicate ideas,
    experience and research findings

o   promote the improvement of practical design performance
    in all its aspects

o   contribute to the development of a coherent body of
    scholarship and knowledge in design

Membership is open to individuals and costs only UK pounds 15
per year.  Members are entitled to the following:

o   Newsletter of the Society

o   Reduced rate subscription to the journal 'Design
    Studies', published in association with the Society by
Elsevier- Butterworth-Heinemann

o   Occasional mailings to members

o   Invitations and reduced admission charges to seminars and
    conferences organised by the Society

For further details and an application form, contact the
membership secretary:

Professor Robert Jerrard, School of Design Research, Birmingham
Institute of Art and Design, University of Central England,
Corporation Street, Birmingham, UK B4 7DX

tel: +44 (0)121 331 7807  fax: +44 (0)121 333 5569

email <[log in to unmask]

ELECTRONIC SERVICES OF THE DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

The full range of services available are:

DRS ELECTRONIC NEWSLETTER

DRS_NEWS is the electronic newsletter of the Design Research
Society.  It communicates news about research throughout the
world.  It is mailed automatically at the beginning of each
month.

To have monthly copies of DRS_NEWS emailed to you automatically,
it is necessary to join the 'Design-Research' mailing list.

Send an email message to:

    (leave the 'subject' line blank ie. press 'return')

Type a message which reads:

    JOIN DESIGN-RESEARCH  yourFirstName yourLastName

Past copies of DRS_NEWS can also be found at
<http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/design-research listed
by month.

DRS DISCUSSION LIST

DRS is the discussion list now open for unmoderated discussion
on all matters related to design research.

To monitor and/or join discussions on design research emailed to
you automatically it is necessary to join the 'DRS' mailing list.

Send an email message to:

    (leave the 'subject' line blank ie. press 'return')

Type a message which reads:

    JOIN DRS  yourFirstName yourLastName

Archived copies of these discussions can also be found at
<http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/drs listed by month.

GENERAL INFORMATION

Further information about the Design Research Society can be
found at: <http://www.drs.org.uk>

CONTRIBUTIONS

...and finally - for inclusion in future DRS_NEWS please send
any contributions to the editor.  Email is preferred.  Send to
DRS_NEWS editor:

Dr. David Durling, Director of Research, School of Art & Design,
Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 2XN, UK.
Tel: +44(0)1782 294556 [direct, 24 hr.]  Fax: +44(0)1782 294873
Email: <[log in to unmask]