DRS_NEWS January 1999

David Durling <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:53:12 +0000

TEXT/PLAIN

                        D R S _ N E W S

    The electronic newsletter of the Design Research Society

                       Volume 4, Number 1

                          January 1999

CONTENTS

o   Editor's space

o   DRS_NEWS - some reflections

o   4th Asian Design conference - Web Site

o   Doctoral Education in Design - Proceedings

o   IDATER 99 - second call for papers

o   Announcements & Calls for Papers

o   Questions, questions

o   Cyber News

o   The Design Research Society: details of membership

o   Electronic Services of the DRS

o   Contributing to DRS_NEWS

EDITOR'S SPACE

Welcome back (for those of you who have just had a break).

Sorry, but due to a lack of email over xmas (my fault in
accidentally erasing some crucial files!) I have not been
able to pick up any emailed late breaking news.  If you've sent
me something in the last couple of weeks I will include it in the
next edition.

DRS_NEWS - SOME REFLECTIONS

As the newsletter is now entering its 4th year, it is perhaps
time for a little reflection.

New readers will perhaps not be aware that the list
'design-research', which distributes this newsletter, started
life as an ordinary discussion list.  It was started by Martin
Woolley, now of Goldsmiths College, London, on behalf of the
Design research Society.  Martin remains as the list owner, and
does a great job in the background sorting out bounced mail etc.
The list was used by various researchers to discuss issues, ask
questions etc. and like most discussion lists, varied month by
month in the volume of traffic it generated.

In January 1996 David Durling started distributing an electronic
newsletter  following a deal of encouragement from Conall O
Cathain, then DRS Chairman.  Initially, the newsletter caused
more people to subscribe, but discussion and announcements then
led to considerable traffic and numbers of people complaining and
pulling out - they indicated that they wanted the newsletter, but
couldn't handle the volume of other email.  In mid 1996 a
decision was taken to use the list only for distribution of the
newsletter, and the list became controlled by a moderator.

Over the years, the number of subscribers has risen steadily.  It
now stands at over 1400 with a truly international membership.
When compared with other well known lists related to design, it
has has over twice the readership.  Content is taken from the
electronic newsletter by Steve Little, Manchester, and forms the
basis, with enhancements, of a paper newsletter which is
distributed only to DRS members each quarter. The total
readership is therefore considerable.

Someone was inquiring the other day as to how this newsletter is
compiled, and what lessons have been learned in distributing it
over the past few years.  This was from someone thinking of doing
something similar in another domain.  I was able to advise that
there were indeed some problems at first, and a number of people
said that either their mailer refused to open the newsletter, or
that all they got was garbage.  After some discussion it
transpired that a few ground rules were needed.  Among these were
that:

- lines should be truncated at 65 characters (otherwise, the
intended format was not repeated on the recipient machine)

- all 'high ASCII' characters should be removed (as these caused
strange things to happen including reformatting of text)

- all tabs should be replaced by spaces (again, in order to
preserve the intended formatting)

- the document be restricted to 30,000 characters (apparently
some mailers choked on larger documents, and refused to open - it
was possible to save the file and open it in a word processor,
but many thought this too tedious).

All these things are now done routinely.

As for the collection of content, the story goes something like
this.  Good folks email me announcements of conferences etc. and
these are supplemented by random copies of things I find on
various discussion lists and web sites.  All these snippets are
stored in a HyperCard stack (remember HyperCard?) and marked for
the newsletter.  Once assembled into a newsletter, the document
is pasted into a word processor for a quick spell check, and then
pasted into BBEdit, a text-only word processor.  BBEdit is
excellent at preparing text for electronic distribution, as it is
able to (un)wrap, (re)format, (un)capitalise and so on.
Crucially, it can strip out unwanted characters such as tabs and
other characters that may cause problems.  It will also truncate
lines and add suitable spaces etc.  Surplus content is cut out
and saved back into the stack for the next edition. What emerges
is, hopefully, a squeaky clean file of the right length.  I
quickly email it to myself to make sure all is well, and then off
it goes to the list...  In writing it out here it sounds more
complex than it really is.

And for those who are concerned about hardware, it is all done on
an Apple Mac laptop.

Here's looking forward to yet another 12 issues.  Just keep
sending the content...

4th ASIAN DESIGN CONFERENCE - WEB SITE

Further to last month's notice regarding the call for papers for
the 4th ADC, there is now a home page for the conference. The
web-site is http://wwwsoc.nacsis.ac.jp/jssd/ADC99/ The site will
be updated as further details of the conference are finalised,
but it is already possible to submit abstracts via the site
rather than by email. (Email submissions are still fine,
however.)

DOCTORAL EDUCATION IN DESIGN - PROCEEDINGS

Proceedings arising from the conference 'Doctoral Education in
Design' held in October 1998, are nearing completion and
publishing by the editors of 'Design Issues'.

The purpose in organising the conference was to focus attention
on the issue of doctoral education in design.  Publication and
distribution is scheduled for January 3, 1999.  Please note that
delegates to the conference will receive a free copy.  Copies
will be available for other interested persons from Carnegie
Mellon University.

Contact Richard Buchanan, Professor and Head, School of Design,
Carnegie Mellon University, USA email: [log in to unmask]

IDATER 99 - SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

This is a reminder that the closing date for outline papers for
IDATER 99 is fast approaching.

This year's theme is broadly concerned with creativity in design.
 This includes, but is not limited to, the following topics:

*   what is creativity in design?
*   are there different kinds of creativity across subject
    boundaries?
*   designerly ways of thinking
*   constraints on creativity eg. through design guidelines or
    standards
*   the management of creativity
*   how creativity can be fostered and supported
*   information which may support creativity
*   design methods and creativity
*   case studies of design creativity in action in teaching
*   case studies of design creativity in action in design
    practice
*   creative collaborations between universities and design
    practices or industry

Authors should initially submit a ONE PAGE OUTLINE of the
proposed paper to the Conference Organiser, shown below. The
outline should indicate the nature and scope of the paper.
Outline papers are being accepted NOW.

The deadline for outline paper submissions is 26 February 1999.
(If the outline is accepted, a full paper will be required by 7
April 1999).

Outline papers (clearly marked 'DRS') must be sent to the
conference organiser from whom application forms and guidelines
are available:

Mrs PM Wormald-Lim,
IDATER Administrator,
Department of Design and Technology,
Loughborough University,
Loughborough,
Leicestershire LE11 3TU
UK

Telephone: + 44 (0)1509 222644 [24 hr answerphone]
Fax: + 44 (0)1509 223999
e-mail address : [log in to unmask]

For further details:  WWW: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/idater

ANNOUNCEMENTS & CALLS FOR PAPERS

*   17-18 January 2000:  INCITE 2000  CALL FOR PAPERS
    INternational Conference on Construction Information
    TEchnology 2000  Implementing IT to obtain a competitive
    advantage in the 21st Century.  Harbour Plaza Hotel, Hung
    Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong

    In the current economic climate, most businesses in the
    construction industry struggle to maintain or enhance their
    competitiveness. Information technology (IT), is becoming an
    integral part of the corporate infrastructure, and has been
    recognised as a tool that can improve an organization's
    performance and competitiveness.  The pace of technological
    change demands a major commitment of company funds to
    planning and acquisition of up-to date equipment and
    expertise. Without this commitment, companies will lose the
    competitive advantage that IT can offer.

    The aim of the INCITE 2000 conference is to investigate how
    organisations in the construction industry can effectively
    implement IT-enabled tools so they can obtain a competitive
    advantage by excelling in their market place, performance and
    services.

    Dr. Geoffrey Q.P. Shen Conference Secretariat Department of
    Building and Real Estate The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
    Hung Hom, Kowloon Hong Kong Tel: (852) 2766 5817 Fax: (852)
    2764 5131 Email: [log in to unmask]

*   Programme for Twenty-Fifth Icograda London Seminar The
    Steering Committee, under the Chairmanship of John Aston, has
    announced that Mervyn Kurlansky will chair the celebratory
    Twenty-Fifth Icograda/Sappi London Seminar which is being
    organised by the Icograda Foundation and will be held on the
    22/23 February 1998.  The programme will premier an Icograda
    Hall of Fame multi-media presentation featuring the work of
    the eminent designers who have spoken at the seminar over the
    last twenty-five years. This retrospective of the great
    designers who shaped the profession for the last quarter
    century will give a context in which other speakers will look
    to the future: they are: David Redhead, Editor Design
    Magazine, UK, Richard Seymour, President D&AD, UK, John
    Turner, Director International Design Body Shop, Alain Le
    Quernec, AGI, France and P. Scott Makela of Cranbrook
    University. Colin Banks will chair a Typographic Workshop
    with an eminent list of guest speakers and the D&AD will
    present a workshop on Editorial Design. Icograda is very
    pleased that this special seminar will be held in association
    with Design and Art Direction (D&AD).  The enhanced programme
    for this twenty-fifth seminar has been made possible by the
    generous sponsorship of Sappi Fine Papers the world's largest
    producer of coated woodfree papers. Craig Halgreen,
    Communication Director Europe has said that Sappi is very
    pleased to join Icograda London Seminar in the promotion of
    creativity, ideas, knowledge and understanding of graphic
    design. For booking forms, reservations and other details
    contact: [log in to unmask] Fax + 44 1737 780160

*   19-24 April, 1999:  Hanover Fair 99, Germany. Theme:
    Advantage design - design excellence enhances market
    opportunities. Information from Karen Gorg Tel: +49 511 89
    31056  Fax: +49 511 89 39695 E.mail: [log in to unmask]

*   30 September - 2 October: ACUADS Conference, Sydney.
    Annual conference of The Australian Council of University Art
    and Design Schools. For further information contact:
    Associate Professor Ron Newman  Fax: +61 2 9385 07 12 E.mail:

*   30 September - 2 October: DECA Conference, Sydney.
    Biennial Conference of The Design Education Council of
    Australia. For further information, contact the Conference
    Conveners: Mr Rick Bennett - Lecturer, School of Design
    Studies, UNSW Fax: +61 2 9385 07 12 E.mail:
    [log in to unmask] Mr Chris Matthews, Lecturer, School of
    Design, UWS Nepean e-mail: [log in to unmask]

*   30 September - 3 October: Design and the Social Sciences:
    making connections, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.
    Major working conference. Information from Jorge Frascara:
    Tel: +1 403 492 3261 Fax: +1 403 492 7870 E.mail:

*   8-13 October, 1999: ICFAD 1999 Conference - "Global Arts
    Beyond 2000" This is an international Conference for Higher
    Education in the Arts Held in Auckland New Zealand on Oct. 8
    - 13 1999. Design, Visual Arts, Theatre, Film, Dance, Music,
    Crafts. This Conference is for Educators, Administrators,
    Professionals, Artists and Students.
    http://www.wcad.ac.nz/icfad99 To the Conference Organising
    Committee Contact: E-Mail: [log in to unmask] Tel: +64 9 360
    1240 Fax: +64 9 360 1242 E.mail: [log in to unmask]

*   22-27 August 1999: HCI International'99, Munich. Special
    Session on Electronic Markets on the Internet (see also
    http://wwwi.wu-wien.ac.at/public/hci/) and for more details
    on HCI International '99 conference, please visit:
    http://hci99.iao.fhg.de/hci99/index.html

*   19 March 1999:  Please note that the date of this meeting
    has changed. Institution of Electrical Engineers Colloquium
    at Savoy Place, London "The Teaching of Engineering Design
    Concepts in Higher Education" Organised by IEE Professional
    Group M1 (Management of Design, Research & Development) For
    further details and registration please contact Katharine
    Hardman Groups Officer, Management Division.  Tel:  +44
    (0)171 344 5426. Fax: +44 (0)171 497 3633. Email:
    [log in to unmask] World Wide Web: http://www.iee.org.uk

*   3 June 1999: 5th Conference on Human Factors and the Web:
    The Future of Web Applications. Call for Papers.  The fifth
    in a series of Human Factors and the Web conferences will be
    held at the National Institute of Standards and Technology,
    Gaithersburg, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, DC.  For more
    information: http://www.nist.gov/hfweb or contact Dr. Sharon
    Laskowski, Conference Chair NIST Fax: +1 301 975-5287 Email:

*   FIVE PhD Student positions.  Applications are invited for
    five PhD. student positions at the faculty of Architecture,
    Building, and Planning at the Eindhoven University of
    Technology, The Netherlands. These positions involve PhD.
    research in the area of Virtual Reality and Design.
    http://www.bwk.tue.nl/bwk/fac_buro/pz/vr-diseng.html

*   3 February 1999:  Announcement and Call for Presentations
    (Deadline 8th January 1999)  EXCHANGE 1999 FACILITATING ART
    AND DESIGN RESEARCH. A one-day conference at the Faculty of
    Art, Media and Design, Bower Ashton Campus, University of the
    West of England, Bristol.  This event, the second Exchange
    one-day conference, will provide those engaged in research in
    art and design with a further opportunity to consider current
    debates, create links between projects and researchers,
    discuss key theoretical issues and describe successful
    practical solutions.  In order to expand the range of issues
    covered in the first Exchange conference, held in October
    1998, the themes for this one-day event will also include
    research supervision and the student experience.

    CONFERENCE THEMES
    Educating the Researcher Good Supervisory Practice Research
    Funding Issues PhD or DFA? Practice-led Research Media
    Research

    Contributions are invited for 20 minute presentations in the
    Parallel sessions. Please send a title and an abstract (300
    to 500 words) to the conference organiser by Friday 8 January
    1999.
    For further information or to book: Suzette Worden, Faculty
    of Art, Media and Design, University of the West of England,
    Bristol, Bower Ashton Campus, Kennel Lodge Road, Off Clanage
    Road, Bristol BS3 2JT Tel: 0117 966 0222 ext 4794  Fax: 0117
    976 3946 email: [log in to unmask]

    For an overview of the first Exchange day see
    http://www.media.uwe.ac.uk/suzette/exchange/title.html

*   22-25 September 1999:  IMPACT UK CONFERENCE, University
    of the West of England, Bristol, UK.  Presented in
    association with the Royal West of England Academy, UK, and
    the Southern Graphics Council, USA.  IMPACT UK is the first
    major printmaking conference exhibition to be held in Britain
    for many years, bringing together practising artists,
    academics and students from the UK, Europe and America, in
    order to discuss pressing issues, concepts and techniques.
    http://www.uwe.ac.uk/research/impact

*   "Educational Technology & Society" journal (ISSN
    1436-4522). Call for Papers: Special Issue. Embedding
    Ubiquitous Use of Educational Technology: is it possible, do
    we want it, and, if so, how do we achieve it?
    http://zeus.gmd.de/ifets/periodical/  Initial proposals
    should be brief and no more than 500 words, and sent to the
    guest editor by Friday April 2nd 1999.  Chris O'Hagan Dean of
    Learning Development, Centre for Educational Development and
    Media, University of Derby, Kedleston Road, DERBY, DE22 1DA
    United Kingdom. E-mail: [log in to unmask]

*   Teaching Innovations Forum: H.E. into the 21st Century
    19th - 21st January 1999 University of Wales Aberystwyth.
    For a conference programme, background information and
    on-line booking form visit our web page, the URL is:
    http://www.aber.inf.ac.uk/services/learningtechnology/forum.html
     Alternatively follow the link from UWA home page
    http://www.aber.ac.uk

*  A new service is offered: TC-Forum mailing lists.  The idea
    is to enable fast and personal exchanges among technical
    communicators world-wide:  tcf-gen (for general)  other lists
    will follow on special topics.

*   13-16 September 1999:  1999 IEEE Symposium on Visual
    Languages.  Waseda International Conference Center Tokyo,
    Japan. The 1999 IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages (VL99)
    will be a forum for theoreticians, users, designers and
    developers of visual languages in all fields.  It will
    present an unparalleled opportunity to develop a common
    language, to exchange ideas, to compare approaches and to
    experiment with cutting edge technology. Leading researchers
    from all fields will present ground-breaking solutions,
    report on innovative uses of visual languages, discuss open
    problems and define new challenges. To facilitate an
    efficient and fruitful exchange centred around the core
    issues in Visual Languages, dedicated tracks will be
    organized which range from theory to applications, from
    special purpose languages to usability issues.
    Conference Website http://www.isl.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/vl99.html
    All submissions due: February 28, 1999

*   25-27 April 1999:  The 4th Conference on Design
    Management in the Digital Environment "Creating, Enhancing
    and Positioning Brands in the Digital Environment", Pasadena,
    California, USA     Art Center College of Design For the
    latest information, visit the conferences section of the DMI
    Web site: <http://www.dmi.org/conferences>

*   9-12 June 1999:  The 9th International Forum on Design
    Management Research and Education "New Structures for
    Design Management in the 21st Century" Pratt Institute, New
    York City, USA For the latest information, visit the
    conferences section of the DMI Web site:
    <http://www.dmi.org/conferences>

*   24-28 October 1999:  The 24th International Design
    Management Conference, Chatham, Massachusetts, USA The
    Chatham Bars Inn For the latest information, visit the
    conferences section of the DMI Web site:
    <http://www.dmi.org/conferences>

*   7-9 September 1999:  CALL FOR PAPERS Engineering Design
    Education Conference 1999: The Continuum of Design Education,
    Glasgow.  Incorporating:  SEED '99 PDE '99
    The Engineering Design Education Conference 1999 will
    incorporate the 21st annual conference on Engineering Design
    Education under the auspices of SEED (Shared Experience in
    Engineering Design) and the 6th National Conference on
    Product Design Education under the auspices of the
    Institution of Engineering Designers. The conference will be
    organized by the Higher Education Institutions in Glasgow and
    supported by the Glasgow 1999 Partnership Fund.

    The Conference will be held at the University of Strathclyde,
    Glasgow between Tuesday 7 and Thursday 9th September 1999. In
    1999 Glasgow will be the City of Architecture and Design. The
    final conference programme will include some exciting events
    and visits associated with the activities of Glasgow '99.

    All papers will be independently reviewed. Papers may be
    submitted for oral or poster presentation. Those papers
    selected for oral presentation will be included in the
    conference proceedings to be published in a bound volume by
    Professional Engineering Publishing (PEP).  PEP intend to
    market the proceedings to libraries around the world.

    The theme of the conference is The Continuum of Design
    Education. Papers are invited from all members of the design
    community involved in the education of the next generation of
    designers: primary and secondary school teachers, university
    and college lecturers and practising designers. The purpose
    of the conference is to share experiences and contribute to
    the body of knowledge of design education. The scope of
    papers will not be restricted as long as they reflect the
    general conference theme. Additional information may be found
    on the conference web site at:
    http://www.strath.ac.uk/Departments/DMEM/EDE99

*   21-24 October 1999:  RUFIS '99:  The Virtual University
    October 21-24, 1999 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff,
    Arizona.

    We would like to invite you to submit proposals for papers,
    panels, and workshops for the annual Role of Universities in
    the Future Information Society (RUFIS) international
    conference which will be held at Northern Arizona University
    in Flagstaff, Arizona, October 21-24, 1999.  The theme of the
    RUFIS '99 conference is "The Virtual University."  For
    detailed information: http://www.nau.edu/rufis99

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS

*   The traditional format for submitting content to most
    conferences has been the written paper, often with fairly
    strict restrictions on the content, formatting, and
    appearance of the paper. The accepted papers are then
    combined into the official proceedings of the conference.

    For a conference that deals with the design process of
    interaction design, what format(s) would you like to see?
    Asked another way, how does one effectively describe design
    process? In a paper, a storyboard, a slide show, a dynamic
    piece, a sound piece, a performance, a demonstration???

    I raise this question to solicit your thoughts, which I plan
    to compile and bring forward to a group that is asking this
    very same question.

    A couple of related questions immediately come to mind: 1.
    Would less formal proceedings be regarded as less scholarly?
    2. Would you (dear reader) submit to such a conference? 3.
    Are such "papers" tied closely to promotion within your
    organization?

    Dan Boyarski, Professor School of Design Carnegie Mellon
    University <[log in to unmask]>

[For anyone who wants to pick up this thread, this message is a
repeat of a recent discussion on VISUAL-L.  Interested?]

CYBER NEWS: snippets from the networks

*   Web site: http://www.ergogero.com has the "Basic Color
    and Design SBFAQ," which discusses basic color vision and its
    application to design; also articles on data visualization,
    design for aging and error analysis.

*   If you are interested in Design Methodologies & Tooling,
    Knowledge Based Engineering, Expert System, Ergonomics and
    Automobile Engineering, a personal homepage maybe a good spot
    for you to visit.  http://fastfreewebs.com/top/kbevps

*   A review article: Jennifer Flemming, _Web Navigation:
    Designing the User Experience_, O'Reilly, 1998, pp.253 plus
    CD-ROM, ISBN 1-56592-351-0  It's a very stimulating book
    which considers the principles of design [or 'information
    architecture'] in relation to large-scale web sites.
    http://www.mantex.co.uk/reviews/flemming.htm

*   A new book and linked web site describing the work of the
    UK Open University's Knowledge Media Institute has recently
    been launched: 'The Knowledge Web: Learning and Collaborating
    on the Net', published by Kogan Page, has a dedicated web
    site at:  http://kmi.open.ac.uk/knowledgeweb

*   A free email newsletter is now available which gives
    details of new developments in computer-based learning
    programs, writing software, web design, language issues, book
    reviews, and 'information architecture'.  It also has regular
    features on free software programs, newsletters, mailing
    lists, and web sites of interest to writers, teachers, and
    students.  <http://www.mantex.co.uk>

DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

The Design Research Society was established in 1967, reflecting a
belief among academics and professionals from different design
communities that the essence of the activity called design was
common to many disciplines.

The Society has facilitated an international design research
network in 35 countries comprising members who maintain contact
through the publications and activities of the Society.  Members
are drawn from diverse backgrounds, not only from the traditional
areas of design, ranging from fine art to engineering, but also
from subjects like psychology and computer science.

The goals of the Society are to:

o   promote communication across the boundaries of all design
    disciplines

o   provide a forum to exchange and communicate ideas,
    experience and research findings

o   promote the improvement of practical design performance
    in all its aspects

o   contribute to the development of a coherent body of
    scholarship and knowledge in design

Membership is open to individuals and costs only UK pounds 15 per
year.  Members are entitled to the following:

o   Newsletter of the Society

o   Reduced rate subscription to the journal 'Design
    Studies', published in association with the Society by
    Elsevier- Butterworth-Heinemann

o   Occasional mailings to members

o   Invitations and reduced admission charges to seminars and
    conferences organised by the Society

For further details and an application form, contact the
membership secretary:

Professor Robert Jerrard, School of Design Research, Birmingham
Institute of Art and Design, University of Central England,
Corporation Street, Birmingham, UK B4 7DX

tel: +44 (0)121 331 7807  fax: +44 (0)121 333 5569

email <[log in to unmask]

ELECTRONIC SERVICES OF THE DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

The full range of services available are:

DRS ELECTRONIC NEWSLETTER

DRS_NEWS is the electronic newsletter of the Design Research
Society.  It communicates news about research throughout the
world.  It is mailed automatically at the beginning of each
month.

To have monthly copies of DRS_NEWS emailed to you automatically,
it is necessary to join the 'Design-Research' mailing list.

Send an email message to:

    (leave the 'subject' line blank ie. press 'return')

Type a message which reads:

    JOIN DESIGN-RESEARCH  yourFirstName yourLastName

Past copies of DRS_NEWS can also be found at
<http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists-a-e/design-research listed
by month.

DRS DISCUSSION LIST

DRS is the discussion list now open for unmoderated discussion on
all matters related to design research.

To monitor and/or join discussions on design research emailed to
you automatically it is necessary to join the 'DRS' mailing list.

Send an email message to:

    (leave the 'subject' line blank ie. press 'return')

Type a message which reads:

    JOIN DRS  yourFirstName yourLastName

Archived copies of these discussions can also be found at
<http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists-a-e/drs listed by month.

GENERAL INFORMATION

Further information about the Design Research Society can be
found at: <http://www.drs.org.uk>

CONTRIBUTIONS

...and finally - for inclusion in future DRS_NEWS please send any
contributions to the editor.  Email is preferred.  Send to
DRS_NEWS editor:

Dr. David Durling, Director of Research, School of Art & Design,
Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 2XN, UK.
Tel: +44(0)1782 294556 [direct, 24 hr.]  Fax: +44(0)1782 294873
Email: <[log in to unmask]