DRS_NEWS February 1999

David Durling <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 01 Feb 1999 12:26:19 +0000

TEXT/PLAIN

                        D R S _ N E W S

    The electronic newsletter of the Design Research Society

                       Volume 4, Number 2

                          February 1999

CONTENTS

o   Editor's space

o   Design Studies

o   Proceedings of conference

o   Exchange 99 - a few places left...

o   IDATER 99 - Final Call

o   Announcements & Calls for Papers

o   Questions, questions

o   Cyber News

o   The Design Research Society: details of membership

o   Electronic Services of the DRS

o   Contributing to DRS_NEWS

EDITOR'S SPACE

It is perhaps worth me mentioning briefly that as there is
consistently too much copy to go into the restricted format of
this email newsletter.  Some things can wait until the following
month, but Stephen Little, the editor of the paper-based DRS
newsletter (which takes some of its content from this one) is
now publishing further items of interest that I will not be
covering here.  In particular, if your paper needs graphics or
is a long article, send content direct to him at

The paper newsletter is only available to DRS members, so if you
would like to join, either read the details below, or go to the
DRS website at www.drs.org.uk

DESIGN STUDIES

This year, the twentieth volume of Design Studies  starts with a
significant change in the pattern of publication: the frequency
of issues rises from four to six per year. Design Studies will
now appear every two months. This change will enable us to serve
better both our readers and our contributors. A more frequent
appearance provides the convenience of regularity and the
benefit of up to date publication for our readers, and the
advantage for our contributors of helping to reduce the
timescale from submission to publication. The change to more
frequent publication also indicates the quantitative increase in
quality submissions that we are now receiving from contributors.
It is very encouraging for the design research community.

The publisher's web-site for Design Studies is
http://www.elsevier.nl:80/inca/publications/store/3/0/4/0/9/

Editorial from Volume 20, Number 1 (January 1999) One of the
main drivers of the growth of design research has been the
introduction of computers into design activity. Many
varied aspects of this technological development have been
covered throughout the history of the journal, and no doubt will
continue to be so in the future. A good example opens this issue
- the paper by Kristina Shea and Jon Kagan ('The design of novel
roof trusses with shape annealing'). They apply new
computational methods based on shape grammars and simulated
annealing to seek novel, optimum-directed roof truss designs.
But they also compare and contrast their automatic designs with
those produced more 'intuitively' by architects and by
engineers. Their intention is not simply to automate structural
design but to help meet the needs of designers in generating and
exploring a range of designs in the conceptual design stage.
Their shape annealing algorithm finds some unusual design
concepts, and helps to further understanding of the relations
between structural form and function.

Shea and Cagan's paper thus apparently presents a strong
exemplar of the value of developing computer applications in
design. But the case is not universally accepted. The question,
'Can a machine design?' is still debated as strongly in design
as the question 'Can a machine think?' used to be debated in
philosophy, prompted by concepts of artificial intelligence. A
conventional view of the value of computational modelling of
design activities is included in the paper by Nigel Cross
('Natural Intelligence in Design'), who suggests that we might
learn more about the 'natural intelligence' of design from
AI-design research. But Terry Liddament's paper ('The
computationalist paradigm in design research') argues strongly
that such a 'computationalist paradigm' is fundamentally flawed.
>From an analysis of the ontology, epistemology and methodology
of the computationalist paradigm, Liddament concludes that there
are severe limitations in this paradigm as a driver for design
research. His arguments help to give voice and clarity to doubts
that many share, and this fundamental level of debate is
necessary if the design research community is to avoid naivete
and epistemological confusion.

The paper by Per Galle ('Design as intentional action') is also
a theoretical, philosophical contribution, which also addresses
underlying paradigms and may prove to be fundamental for
design research. Galle proposes a 'simplifying paradigm' for
understanding designing - a paradigm in which designing is
a sequence of human actions with the intention of artefact
production. Central to this paradigm is the notion of
designing as creation of a design representation. Throughout,
Galle challenges 'obvious' views of designing, whilst
maintaining an explicit analysis acceptable to common sense and
yet deeply philosophical.

The final paper, by Arthur Stamps ('Architectural Detail'), is
another excellent piece of empirical work - this time
addressing difficult questions of subjective judgement in
aesthetic evaluation and their interpretation in objective
measurements. Stamps is concerned with design detail, often
regarded as a vital factor in architectural aesthetics. His work
provides an objective way of measuring detail in building
facades that correlates with subjective impressions.

Looking forward to the more frequent publication of Design
Studies, special issues and themes that will be appearing in
the near future include design education (in the next issue -
March 1999), automotive design, ethnographic approaches to
design research, and collaborative design on the Internet. As
usual, it is one of the strengths of Design Studies that we are
able to publish such variety in such good formats: carefully
argued theoretical papers alongside well-researched empirical
studies, and always with the underlying concern of promoting and
progressing design research.

Nigel Cross

DOCTORAL EDUCATION IN DESIGN - PROCEEDINGS

The Proceedings of the Ohio Conference on Doctoral Education in
Design focus on the nature and current state of doctoral
education in design around the world.  This volume explores the
foundations of design as a field of inquiry, the role of
research in alternate models of doctoral education, the
relationship between doctoral education and professional
practice, and other issues that are central to the development
of design as an emerging field of investigation. Included are
discussions of many existing and planned doctoral programs
around the world.

The volume (400 pages) presents papers by 25 respected design
educators, researchers, and writers.  The editors are Richard
Buchanan, Dennis Doordan, Lorraine Justice, and Victor Margolin.

Copies of "Doctoral Education in Design:  Proceedings of the
Ohio Conference, October 8-11, 1998" are available from Design
Issues, School of Design, Carnegie Mellon University, Margaret
Morrison 110, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890, USA.  Copies may be
purchased by check or money order for $25 (U.S.).  Cost includes
shipping and handling.

A reminder that there are a few places left on
EXCHANGE 1999 FACILITATING ART AND DESIGN RESEARCH
to be held on Wednesday 3 February 1999

Bookings: Suzette Worden, Faculty of Art, Media and Design,
University of the West of England, Bristol, Bower Ashton Campus,
Kennel Lodge Road, Off Clanage Road, Bristol BS3 2JT Tel: 0117
966 0222 ext 4794  Fax: 0117 976 3946 email:

For an overview of the first Exchange day see
http://www.media.uwe.ac.uk/suzette/exchange/title.html

IDATER 99 - FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS

The closing date for OUTLINE paper submissions is 26 February
1999.

The website has been updated updated and on-line applications
can now be made, all details being found at
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/idater.

Outline papers (clearly marked 'DRS') must be sent to the
conference organiser from whom application forms and guidelines
are available:

Mrs PM Wormald-Lim,
IDATER Administrator,
Department of Design and Technology,
Loughborough University,
Loughborough,
Leicestershire LE11 3TU
UK

Telephone: + 44 (0)1509 222644 [24 hr answerphone]
Fax: + 44 (0)1509 223999
e-mail address : [log in to unmask]

ANNOUNCEMENTS & CALLS FOR PAPERS

*   1999 INTERNATIONAL HEAVYWEIGHT DESIGN CHAMPIONSHIP
    Concept Only Design Competition Deadline: March 20 1999
    Organized by Core Design Network - http://www.core77.com
    Sponsored by Coroflot Design Job Site -
    http://www.coroflot.com For more information contact: Eric
    Ludlum (+1) 212-965-1998 tel. (+1) 212-965-1838 fax

    1999 INTERNATIONAL HEAVYWEIGHT DESIGN CHAMPIONSHIP
    http://www.core77.com/competition Deadline: March 20, 1999

    Core77 invites you to participate in our first annual
    Concept Only Design Competition.

    Eligibility: Any designer or student, worldwide. Any
    conceptual project or product designed between January, 1998
    and the deadline of the competition, March 20, 1999.

    Entry Forms and Contest Rules are available on-line at:
    http://www.core77.com/competition

*   Automation in Construction CALL FOR PAPERS

    Special Issue on NUMERICAL-CONTROLLED MODEL MAKING AND RAPID
    PROTOTYPING IN BUILDING DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION

    Automation in Construction is scheduling a special issue on
    the role of numerically controlled and rapid prototyping
    systems in building design and construction. We are inviting
    papers from those in research, practice and education who
    are using digitally created physical models to submit papers
    on their experiences and findings. Papers are invited which
    address all aspects of using these systems in engineering
    applications as well as architectural.

    Four copies of the manuscript, following standard guidelines
    for the Automation in Construction journal, should be mailed
    to the guest editors by June 30, 1999. Specific guidelines
    on the preparation of papers can be accessed at
    www.elsevier.nl; please follow the links to Automation in
    Construction's guide for authors.

    Guest editors of this special issue are Branko Kolarevic
    ([log in to unmask]) and Thomas Kvan ([log in to unmask]) at
    the Department of Architecture, University of Hong Kong,
    Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, tel. ++(852) 2859-2133, fax ++
    (852) 2559-6484.

*   WORKSHOP MORPHOGENETIC DESIGN

    The workshop will be held at the Institute for Higher
    Education in the Sciences and the Arts, Institute for
    Architecture Sint-Lucas, Paleizenstraat 65, b-1030 Brussels,
    Belgium on the 10th of April 1999 in the afternoon between
    14.15 and 18.00 hour at the end of the Second International
    Conference on Added Value of Computer Aided Architectural
    Design (AVOCAAD). We would be happy to see you participate.

    The workshop is about the possibilities of evolutionary
    designing, not only as a way of designing forms inspired by
    evolutionary thinking but also as an ongoing process instead
    of the conventional way of designing a product. Evolutionary
    designing might be useful for creativity support, dynamic
    planning and collaborative designing and many other purposes
    as well. Evolutionary designing might be done in
    collaboration 'by hand' or with special developed genetic
    software.

    Abstracts or other contributions about your work, ideas and
    opinions should be one page long and send to me by email
    ([log in to unmask]). If you send your contribution before the
    first of March it will be published in the conference
    proceedings of AVOCAAD.

    Date of workshop: April 10th 1999, 14.15 - 18.00 in Brussels

    Hoping to read from you as soon as possible, Roel Daru,
    Associate Professor of Design Morphology in collaboration
    with the organising and scientific committees of the AVOCAAD
    conference E-mail: [log in to unmask], Fax: +31- 40 - 2480794,
    Phone: +31- 40 - 2423814

    see also the AVOCAAD conference web page
    http://www.AVOCAAD.org

*   CALL FOR PARTICIPATION Eurographics Workshop  GVE'99
    -COMPUTER GRAPHICS AND VISUALISATION EDUCATION '99 Charting
    the Future for Computer Graphics Education 3-5 July,
    Coimbra, Portugal

    URL http//www.ccg.uc.pt/GVE99/

    This Eurographics workshop, co-sponsored by ACM SIGGRAPH,
    seeks participants with ideas about the future in computer
    graphics and visualisation education.

*   CALL FOR PARTICIPATION:  ENSURING USABLE INTELLIGENT
    USER INTERFACES, March 10. 1999 in conjunction with the i3
    Spring Days'99
    http://www.dfki.de/imedia/workshops/i3-spring99/ at Hotel
    Calipolis, Sitges, Spain

    WHAT THE WORKSHOP IS ABOUT:

    The workshop will review existing methodology of user
    centred design and usability engineering in the light of
    innovative intelligent information interfaces (the central
    mission of i3 related initiatives and projects).

    The deadline for submitting abstracts is February 10. 1999.
    Please send your abstract via email to: [log in to unmask]

*   DRAMA (Design RAtionale MAnagement) is a software
    application for recording and managing design rationale. We
    believe that the reasoning behind design decisions is a key
    item of knowledge that is often neglected. Recording and
    managing design rationale can lead to: * More open and
    rigorous decision making * Improved
    auditability/traceability/accountability * The ability to
    justify designs to regulatory bodies * Improved
    communication of intent throughout the life cycle and
    between disciplines * Ordered response to new information
    and improved management of change * Long term storage of
    design rationale * Creation of a library of best practices *
    Repeatable and consistent use of corporate know-how and
    design experience

    The new release of DRAMA includes multiple project
    searching, consistency checking and impact analysis.

    We are currently marketing DRAMA primarily for engineering
    design, particularly in the process industries. However, the
    approach is generic enough to be used in any design or
    decision making process.

    More information about DRAMA, a white paper and a fully
    functional 30 day evaluation copy are available from our web
    site at http://www.quantisci.co.uk/drama .

*   Call for Papers  AVI 2000  ADVANCED VISUAL INTERFACES
    International Working Conference May 24-26, 1998  Palermo,
    Italy

    http://www.ing.univaq.it/avi2000/

    The 5th International Working Conference on Advanced Visual
    Interfaces (AVI 2000) will be held in Palermo, Italy, May
    24-26, 2000. This edition will be the fifth of a series
    initiated with AVI'92 in Rome, and continued with AVI'94 in
    Bari, AVI'96 in Gubbio and AVI'98 in L'Aquila. The
    Conference has the aim of bringing together experts in
    different areas of computer science who have a common
    interest in the conception, design and implementation of
    visual interfaces.

    Detailed information on electronic submission will be
    provided at the AVI 2000 web site under
    http://www.ing.univaq.it/avi2000/Submission/

*   CREATIVITY & COGNITION 3, 1999 Intersections and
    Collaborations : Art, Music, Technology and Science An ACM
    SIGCHI International Workshop

    CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

    IMPORTANT DATES The event : October 11-13th, 1999 Deadline
    date for submissions : March 26th 1999 - 5 pm local time
    Notification of Acceptance : May 28th, 1999 Final Copy Date
    for Proceedings: June 25th, 1999 -5 pm local time

    There will be an ACM publication which documents the papers
    presented and the events that take place. All submissions
    should be in the SIGCHI standard format

    Topics and themes:-  Theories and studies of creativity and
    cognition  Computers as creativity machines  Computers as
    catalysts for human creativity  Initiatives in fostering
    creativity in the community  Intersections and
    correspondences between art, music, science and technology
    Interactions between artists, musicians and scientists
    Impact of new technology on thinking and action in art,
    music and science  Scenarios for the future in the creative
    arts

    Event proposals and paper submissions should be sent to the
    Program Chair: Linda Candy email : [log in to unmask]
    Creativity and Cognition 1999 International Workshop LUTCHI
    Research Centre, Loughborough University, Ashby Road,
    Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU. UK Direct line:  +
    44 1509 222328 LUTCHI Office : + 44 1509 222789 Fax + 44
    1509 610815

*   INTERACT '99 incorporating HCI 99 The Seventh IFIP
    Conference on Human Computer Interaction supported by the
    British HCI Group

    30 August - 3 September 1999 Edinburgh, Scotland

    http://www.bcs.org.uk/hci/i99

    You are invited to participate in INTERACT '99, a major
    international conference presenting leading-edge research
    and development in all aspects of interactive computer
    systems and technology. This is the last major HCI
    conference of the millennium. It will review more than
    thirty years of pioneering work which has shaped the
    discipline, and highlight the trends, discoveries and
    innovations which will shape a new era of HCI in the
    twenty-first century.

*   DESIGN CULTURES CONFERENCE This Sheffield Hallam
    University / European Academy of Design conference will be
    held on 30th March 1999 for three days. So far it has
    attracted considerable interest from design researchers
    worldwide and we expect over 160 participants. We have
    established a home page for the conference. This includes:
    downloadable booking forms, abstracts of papers, a
    pre-conference discussion forum and other information:

    http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/ead/

*   ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS 2nd INTERNATIONAL
    WORKSHOP ON STRATEGIC KNOWLEDGE AND CONCEPT FORMATION
    October 20-22, 1999 Venue:Iwate Prefectural University,
    Japan. For information
    http://www.hamid2.soft.iwate-pu.ac.jp/skwshop

    The theme of the workshop will be strategic knowledge and
    concept formation in design. The emphasis will be on
    relevant issues in computer-based design support. This is
    the continuation of the SKW'97 workshop held in Loughborough
    UK in 1997.

    DATES Deadline for papers :  April 1st 1999 Notice of
    acceptance :   June 1st 1999 Send Final copy : August 1st
    1999 to: Professor Koichi Hori RCAST, University of Tokyo
    4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku Tokyo 153-8904 Japan Fax: +81 3 3481
    4585 Email: [log in to unmask]

*   International Conference on Smart Homes & Telematics On
    February 22 and 23, 1999, an international conference on
    smart homes & telematics will take place in Eindhoven, the
    Netherlands. The conference is organised by the new
    foundation Smart Homes,  in co-operation with the Province
    of North Brabant. The European Union (TAP) and COST 219bis
    (Access to telecommunications for disabled and older people)
    support the conference.

    Smart home technology or domotics is the integration of
    technology and services inside the house with the purpose of
    enhancing the quality of life of the resident through better
    safety & security, comfort, technical management and
    communication.

    For more information and registration:
    http://www.smart-homes.nl tel. +31 497514984 or fax +31
    497518542 email: [log in to unmask]

*   We are looking forward to your participation in the
    organisation of the EuropIA2000 International Conference on
    the theme of Design Science and Technology: setting the
    agenda for the 21st century. You can join the EuropIA2000
    Discussion Forum by sending us your views, comments and
    suggestions on the theme of the conference, the title, the
    Basic Matrix, etc. Please visit (and bookmark):

    http://cci.ct.tudelft.nl/EuropIA2000

    Reza Beheshti and Peter van der Veer email:

*   INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON UNIVERSAL DESIGN: The
    overall dates are: June 14-18, 2000 in Providence, Rhode
    Island. Conference sponsors are Adaptive Environments,
    Center for Universal Design and the Universal Design News.

    This will be on the conference website,
    http:www.adaptenv.org/21century/ by mid February, 1999.

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS

*   As a staff member of the Centre du Design Rhone Alpes
    (France), I am working on a survey about design and design
    in small & medium sized enterprises. The aim is to know
    better the behaviours of industrialists concerning the new
    product development (NPD). The main topics are : - the NPD
    and the external consultancies (design, ergonomics, value
    analysis), steps, links, partnerships, - the difficulties
    encountered during NPD, - the industrial/product design in
    high-tec sectors (i.e. captors, electronics, software),

    If you are involved in any of these area of research, I
    would be very pleased to exchange with you, best regards,
    Bertrand

    Visit our industrial design cases on line database (French
    and English ): http://www.designentreprises.com

*   I would like to tell  you about a Web site describing my
    PhD and research project that is now on-line to multimedia,
    learning technology and related academic and professional
    communities. The URL is:
    http://caiia-star.soc.plym.ac.uk/starproductions/tomwww
    /index.html

    The project explores the issues and process of creating
    interactive drama based multimedia learning environments
    (MLEs). The outcome of the project is a model that lays out
    constituents of interactive media design and the skills and
    knowledge involved in its creation. I would now like some
    feedback and criticism of the work. You can do this through
    adding your thoughts via feedback pages.

    You will need to use the username & password to get past the
    main menu:

    User Name: narrative Password: transform

    I look forward to hearing your comments. If you have any
    colleagues who would be interested in this work, please feel
    free to pass on the URL, username and password.

    Best wishes and thanks, Tom Rogers.

    CYBER NEWS: snippets from the networks

*   Katie Bunnell's PhD thesis: The Integration of New
    Technology into Ceramic Designer-Maker Practice, is now
    published on CD ROM and available for UKP10:

    The Centre for Research in Art and Design Gray's School of
    Art The Robert Gordon University Garthdee Road Aberdeen AB10
    7QD

    For further information please contact [log in to unmask]

*   'Oscars of the Internet', according to the San Franciso
    Chronicle. The press release below tells you more -- or
    check out http://www.webbyawards.com

    DOORS OF PERCEPTION WEBSITE NOMINATED FOR AN OSCAR

    Doors of Perception has been nominated for a 1999 Webby
    Award. The Webby Awards -- described as 'the Oscars of the
    Internet' by the San Francisco Chronicle -- are the leading
    honours for digital media. Nomination for this award
    signifies the highest standard of excellence on the part of
    a web development team.

    In addition to http://www.doorsofperception.com, Webby
    nominees for 1999 include Amazon.com; The Global
    Schoolhouse; The Wall Street Journal; New York Times Online
    ; CNN Interactive; Scientific American; Travelocity; and
    FedEx. Among the smaller sites nominated are: jodi.org;
    ShockRave; Suck; Absurd.org; and Unamerican Activities. A
    complete list of nominees, judges, and past winners may be
    seen at the official Webby Awards site
    http://www.webbyawards.com.

*   And for the spiritual in design:
    http://smitch.home.mindspring.com

*   Just to let you know that at Sunderland we've been
    developing some web pages aimed to help researchers using
    art practice as a method.
    http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/~as0bgr/learnmat.html (that's a
    zero between s and b)

*   The Department of Psychology at Carleton University in
    Ottawa Canada is hiring to fill two positions. - a Full
    professor to serve as a prestigious funded Research Chair in
    User Centred Design. - an Assistant Professor in HCI.
    http://www.carleton.ca/psychology/cure/

*   The 1998 GOOD DESIGN Awards have been published on the
    Chicago Athenaeum's Web site  http://www.chi-athenaeum.org

*   The Netherlands Design Institute, a partner of the
    Design for Ageing Network (DAN), has created a new website
    called Obstacle. You can reach it through the Homepage of
    the DAN website at http://dan.interact.nl/

DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

The Design Research Society was established in 1967, reflecting
a belief among academics and professionals from different design
communities that the essence of the activity called design
was common to many disciplines.

The Society has facilitated an international design research
network in 35 countries comprising members who maintain
contact through the publications and activities of the Society.
Members are drawn from diverse backgrounds, not only from the
traditional areas of design, ranging from fine art to
engineering, but also from subjects like psychology and computer
science.

The goals of the Society are to:

o   promote communication across the boundaries of all design
    disciplines

o   provide a forum to exchange and communicate ideas,
    experience and research findings

o   promote the improvement of practical design performance
    in all its aspects

o   contribute to the development of a coherent body of
    scholarship and knowledge in design

Membership is open to individuals and costs only UK pounds 15
per year.  Members are entitled to the following:

o   Newsletter of the Society

o   Reduced rate subscription to the journal 'Design
    Studies', published in association with the Society by
Elsevier- Butterworth-Heinemann

o   Occasional mailings to members

o   Invitations and reduced admission charges to seminars and
    conferences organised by the Society

For further details and an application form, contact the
membership secretary:

Professor Robert Jerrard, School of Design Research, Birmingham
Institute of Art and Design, University of Central England,
Corporation Street, Birmingham, UK B4 7DX

tel: +44 (0)121 331 7807  fax: +44 (0)121 333 5569

email <[log in to unmask]

ELECTRONIC SERVICES OF THE DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

The full range of services available are:

DRS ELECTRONIC NEWSLETTER

DRS_NEWS is the electronic newsletter of the Design Research
Society.  It communicates news about research throughout the
world.  It is mailed automatically at the beginning of each
month.

To have monthly copies of DRS_NEWS emailed to you automatically,
it is necessary to join the 'Design-Research' mailing list.

Send an email message to:

    (leave the 'subject' line blank ie. press 'return')

Type a message which reads:

    JOIN DESIGN-RESEARCH  yourFirstName yourLastName

Past copies of DRS_NEWS can also be found at
<http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/design-research listed
by month.

DRS DISCUSSION LIST

DRS is the discussion list now open for unmoderated discussion
on all matters related to design research.

To monitor and/or join discussions on design research emailed to
you automatically it is necessary to join the 'DRS' mailing list.

Send an email message to:

    (leave the 'subject' line blank ie. press 'return')

Type a message which reads:

    JOIN DRS  yourFirstName yourLastName

Archived copies of these discussions can also be found at
<http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/drs listed by month.

GENERAL INFORMATION

Further information about the Design Research Society can be
found at: <http://www.drs.org.uk>

CONTRIBUTIONS

...and finally - for inclusion in future DRS_NEWS please send
any contributions to the editor.  Email is preferred.  Send to
DRS_NEWS editor:

Dr. David Durling, Director of Research, School of Art & Design,
Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 2XN, UK.
Tel: +44(0)1782 294556 [direct, 24 hr.]  Fax: +44(0)1782 294873
Email: <[log in to unmask]