PHD-DESIGN  March 2020

PHD-DESIGN March 2020

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Response to Jürgen Faust about HCD -- and his proposal for WDR, World Design Responsibility

"Prof. Dr. Juergen Faust" <[log in to unmask]>

PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Mar 2020 10:31:58 +0000

text/plain

Thank you Don,
this is a nice comment from you, which shows that you are a great design thinker! My appreciation is a given.
What happened with HCD happened with DT (Design Thinking) as well.

When we started to use DT (again 2002) at the intersection between management and design, at the conference in Cleveland, we have never thought that it would take off as a trend in management and would spread like a virus (:-) in the world. But when I look around how it is now taken by management consultants, by agencies, even by design educators as a 'new religion' I start to freeze, because it is the opposite what we intended. But it seems that we need to live with these side effects.

I do remember a reference from a great teacher I had, he pointed me to a little book from Rudolf Steiner, The Philosophy of Freedom. I do remember that in this book Steiner said, as long as people are not independent thinkers, they need to believe.
This happens in HCD and DT, many people( even the most) are believers. Remembering this quote kept me in many instances appreciative.

So what I think is the base in a design curriculum in the 21st century is the ability to foster a discourse in design, or in other words, iteratively test and revise and redesign thoughts they read, preventing believes... or, shaping own believes.

How can we make sure that students learn to maintain discourses, since discourse acting is designing?
Don I would even add this to your systemic challenges in your paper.
Your initiative, you outlined the base in your paper, is highly interesting:

You stated:
A variety of tasks will call upon the designer’s skills and creativity: interpreting the vast quantities of information that will serve to define the problem; ensuring that root causes are addressed; monitoring implementation; and developing strategic modifications or even making significant changes when implementation is not  generating the expected result.

For me that is discourse as Klaus Krippendorff has framed it as well.
Klaus Krippendorff (1995), Redesigning Design, An invitation to a Responsible Future
https://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1046&context=asc_papers

Bringing a group of experts together to maintain a open discourse is a great idea. But what I did learn so far, there is always the need to deal with the issue of power. Who speaks, how long can she/he speak, from which institution she/he comes etc.
See as well:
Foucault, Michel (1972), The Archeology of Knowledge & the Discourse on Language.
Translated by A M. Sheridan Smith. New York: Pantheon Books
or
Jurgen Faust (2015) Discursive Designing Theory - Towards a Theory of Designing Design
https://pearl.plymouth.ac.uk/handle/10026.1/3210

Don, I was wondering whether you have seen the publication of B Colomina, M Wigley, Are we humans?
B Colomina, M Wigley (2016) Notes on an archaeology of design, Lars Müller Publishers

Regarding the 21st century design curricula I would always put this publication on a list of readings.
To get a first glimpse, there is an interview on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43lDV6_jJd8

By the way, I have been retiring from my president job of the University after 7 years. Therefore I have more time again to contribute to such a discussion.

Thank you

Prof. Dr. Jurgen Faust
Macromedia University, Munich

This is a response to Jürgen Faust. But it is not actually a response in
the usual sense. It is a wholehearted agreement.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 6:01 AM Prof. Dr. Juergen Faust <[log in to unmask]>