FILM-PHILOSOPHY 1998

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

film-philosophy news 1/2

F i l m - P h i l o s o p h y <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 Dec 1998 16:03:07 +0000

text/plain

| ||| | || |      | |    |||    || ||||| || ||||||||||||||||||||||

        f i l m - p h i l o s o p h y
                salon news

| ||| | || |      | |    |||    || ||||| || ||||||||||||||||||||||

Crossing The Boundaries
Theory@Buffalo
Interactive Frictions
Michigan Academy
ARTMargins
Journal for MultiMedia History
Philosophy In The Contemporary World
In the Embrace of Intelligent Machines
The Genius of the (Other) System
Realities: Images and Interpretations of the Real
Film, Form, and Culture
Networking Moving Images
Researching Culture
MacGuffin Website
The Media and the Political Change in Europe

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Call for Papers
Crossing The Boundaries VII: Fluid
An interdisciplinary graduate student conference March 26-27, 1999
SUNY Binghamton
Binghamton, NY

The theme for this year's conference is 'FLUID.'

The collective of the 7th annual international Crossing the Boundaries

conference invites graduate students from various cultural spaces and
different academic disciplines to explore 'fluid' as a theme in
contemporary academic practice. We invite paper and panel proposals, as
well as visual presentations such as video and performance art. We
encourage submissions that relate to a wide variety of historical periods
and geographic locations.

Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- representations of liquid
- fluid as metaphor
- identities: cyber, gendered, racial, national - Being
- cosmology
- transmission of disease
- medieval humours
- the abject
- bath houses
- public fountains and pools
- aqueducts
- sewage systems, drainage
- travel, immigration, migration
- transnationalism: circuits of communication, circuits of
commodities
- regulation

Submit one page (250 word) abstracts, presentation or panel proposals by
January 15, 1999 by mail to:

Crossing The Boundaries VII
c/o Sarah Bassnett
Art History Department
Box 6000,
SUNY Binghamton
NY, USA
13902

or by email to:

In addition, please include a separate listing of: name, paper title,

institution and departmental affiliation, mailing address, phone number and
email. Any materials you would like returned should be accompanied by a
self-addressed, stamped
envelope.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent February 1, 1999.

Please direct questions to:
Sarah Bassnett - [log in to unmask]
Linda Steer - [log in to unmask]
Cindy Stelmackowich - [log in to unmask]

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Theory@Buffalo, an interdisciplinary journal of graduate student writing,
invites submissions of under 10,000 words for the 1999 issue on : 'The
Practice of Theory: Questions on the Roles and Uses of Theory in the Arts
and Sciences'. Please send essays in triplicate with coverpage, or on disc
in Microsoft Word format by March 1, '99 to: Stacey Herbert
Comparative Literature Dept.
State University of New York-Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260
web site: www.wings.buffalo.edu/theory

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Announcing The Call For Papers And Multimedia Presentations For:

Interactive Frictions: The Conference
Produced At The Pressure Point Between Theory And Practice A National
Conference On Interactive Narrative

Sponsored by The Labyrinth Project, Annenberg Center for Communication,
Organized by Marsha Kinder and Tara McPherson Co-sponsored by the Society
for Cinema Studies

When: Friday, June 4 through Sunday, June 6, 1999

Where: Davidson Conference Center
University of Southern California

Featured speakers include George Landow, Brenda Laurel, Janet Murray, Mark
Pesce, Margaret Morse, Vivian Sobchack, Lev Manovich, Patricia Mellencamp,
Pedro Meyer, Laird Melamed, Marcos Novak and others. The conference will
coincide with the opening of the INTERACTIVE FRICTIONS EXHIBITION featuring
art installations and CD-ROMS by Bill Viola, Sara Roberts, Christine
Panushka, Vibeke Sorensen, Tony Oursler, Agueda Simo, Norman Yonemoto, Nina
Menkes, Pat O'Neill, John Rechy and others.

INTERACTIVE FRICTIONS is part of THE LABYRINTH PROJECT, a 3-year research
initiative directed by Marsha Kinder, that is designed to expand the
language, art, culture and theory of interactive narrative. The project
strives to create experimental story spaces, database narrative networks,
and multiple-user interactive fictions that are emotionally compelling,
that combine filmic language with interactive storytelling, and that
continue to push the envelope of new digital media across multiple
platforms.

CONFERENCE TOPICS WILL INCLUDE:
*PERFORMING INTERACTIVE PLEASURES (Day 1) *EXPANDING NARRATIVE (Day 2)
*SPATIALIZING MEMORY AND HISTORY (Day 3)

We are now accepting proposals for 20-minute presentations -- including
both ‘traditional’ academic papers and the presentation of creative work in
new media. We are particularly interested in proposals that combine theory
and practice. We welcome submissions from artists, media professionals,
academics, curators, and independent scholars.

DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS : JANUARY 1st, 1999.

Send a brief proposal (maximum 300 words) for a 20-minute presentation to
the address listed below. Your proposal should be accompanied by a brief
bio (maximum 1 page) noting any of your previous work related to the areas
of new media, narrative theory, or interactive fiction, as well as a
coversheet containing the following information:

NAME____________________________
INSTITUTION/ORGANIZATION______________________________ MALING
ADDRESS_________________________________________________________
TELEPHONE_______________________ FAX_____________________________
EMAIL____________________________ WEB
URL______________________________

SEND PROPOSALS TO:

or to

Tara McPherson
LUC 404/Critical Studies
School of Cinema-TV
USC
LA CA 90089-2211

Program decisions will be made by February 15, 1999. For additional
information please contact Tara McPherson ([log in to unmask]) or Marsha
Kinder ([log in to unmask]).

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Michigan Academy Of Science, Arts And Letters

Call For Conference Papers

1999 Cinema Studies Section

The Cinema Studies Section of the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts, and
Letters will hold its annual conference on March 12 and 13, 1998 at Grand
Vally State University, Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Paper proposals are invited in all areas of the history, theory and
pedagogy of the moving image. The Cinema Studies Section of the Michigan
Academy is national in scope; scholars throughout the U.S. and Canada
present research at our meetings. The Cinema Studies Section endorses a
policy of informality and creative networking to provide the most
productive atmosphere possible for scholarly exchange. Papers from past
sessions have been published in a variety of scholarly journals.

Two copies of paper/panel proposals in abstract form (200 words) are due no
later than November 6, 1998 to the section chair. Abstract should include
the name of section in which the paper is proposed, author's name, address,
institutional affiliation, telephone and e-mail address.

Please direct all paper proposals and queries to:

Toni Perrine
218 LSH
Grand Valley State University
1 Campus Drive
Allendale, MI 49401
(616) 895-3795
FAX: (616) 895-2700

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

ARTMargins
contemporary eastern/central european and russian visual culture

ARTMargins is a cyber-forum devoted to Eastern/Central European and Russian
visual culture in all its configurations, with an emphasis on contemporary
trends and developments in the visual arts--including the new electronic
media--and film. Apart from providing information and reviews of current
exhibitions and events, ARTMargins will carry feature articles and essays
by artists, critics and curators from Central/Eastern Europe and the West,
as well as interviews and documentary material, bibliographical resources,
and a 'best of the web' component.

Now that the ideological constraints that determined much of art production
in the former Eastern Bloc before the end of the cold war have fallen away,
the question as to whether current Western theoretical models and
curatorial practices can simply be adapted to interpret, catalogue and
collect art from the countries of the former Eastern Block has a acquired
new urgency.

The increasing consolidation of the worldwide web makes it imperative to
revise and problematize the traditional notion that visual culture in
Central and Eastern Europe 'lags behind' developments in the West. While
the (electronic) media play an increasing role in the cultural and economic
life of Central and Eastern Europe, they have not yet found the kind of
theoretical elaboration we are used to in the West. This is in no small
part due to the fact that the critical instruments we bring to the study of
the media in the West may not perhaps without reservation be transferred to
Central and Eastern Europe.

Instead of glossing over these and other problems, ARTMargins wants to
encourage their open discussion. The internet and its multimedia
capabilities offer an ideal context for such a debate, especially in view
of the fact that working with (or through) the 'medium' seems to be one of
the chief characteristics of art production in much of Central and Eastern
Europe today.

The first issue of ARTMargins--slated to appear early next year--will
include featured contributions by Alla Efimova, Boris Groys, Viktor
Mazin/Olesya Turkina, Vladimir Paperny, Lev Manovich, and others.
ARTMargins is being designed by Ivory Tower Productions, a web-design
company based in Santa Barbara/California. The site is produced at the
University of California, Santa Barbara. It is being supported by the
Interdisciplinary Humanities Center at the University of California, Santa
Barbara, and the Department of Germanic, Slavic and Semitic Studies.

Sven Spieker
Editor

Sven Spieker
Associate Professor
Dept. of Germanic, Slavic and Semitic Studies University of California,
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
_____________________
voice mail/805.893.7626
fax/805-893-2374
http://humanitas.ucsb.edu/~spieker/

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

The Department of History at the State University of New York at Albany is
pleased to present the first issue of The Journal for MultiMedia History.
We are the first peer-reviewed electronic journal that presents, evaluates,
and disseminates multimedia scholarship. This free online journal can be
found at the following Web site:

http://www.albany.edu/jmmh

This exciting journal offers a new vision for presenting historical
research. Adhering to the highest research standards and utilizing the most
innovative multimedia technologies, The Journal for MultiMedia History
(JMMH) combines audio, visual, and hyperlinked materials with thoughtful
historical analysis. By exploiting the almost magical potential of digital
code, authors can explore and present a range of scholarly source materials
impossible to incorporate into traditional texts. The journal also provides
in-depth reviews, including audio and visual clips and links, of multimedia
resources such as CD-ROMs, videos, and Web sites.

The first issue includes exciting pieces by accomplished scholars. One item
centers on a radio interview conducted in 1960 with the Nation of Islam's
Elijah Muhammad, accompanied by an analysis by his biographer, Claude A.
Clegg III. This issue also contains the audio and text of a lecture by
Professor Kathy Peiss that focused on her new book about American women and
the making of the modern consumer culture. Tom Kriger explores a labor
strike in New York that took place during the Great Depression. He uses a
dazzling array of photographs and oral history interviews. Adrienne Hood
and Jacqueline Spafford make judicious use of hypertext to demonstrate the
promise and perils of integrating Web construction projects, and Corrine
Blake offers a comprehensive hypertext review of Web-based resources for
students and scholars of Islam and Islamic Civilization.

We are privileged to have a distinguished editorial board that includes
Steven Brier, co-founder of the American Social History Project (ASHP),
City University of New York (CUNY), currently assistant provost
forTechnology and Instructional Media at the Graduate School and University
Center, CUNY; Joshua Brown, creative director of the ASHP and acting
director of the ASHP/Center for Media and Learning, City University of New
York; Mark Kornbluh, director of H-NET, Michigan State University; Carolyn
Lougee, chair, Stanford University History Department; Roy Rosenzweig, head
of the Center for New Media at George Mason University; and Richard Hamm,
University at Albany, State University of New York; and the founding
editors,Gerald Zahavi and Julian Zelizer of the University at Albany. Susan
McCormick, a doctoral student in our department, has offered her expert
guidance throughout this process as the managing editor of the JMMH.

Please forward this announcement to other Internet discussion groups and
post it on the bulletin boards of your institution. We hope you enjoy The
Journal for MultiMedia History and we look forward to receiving your
commentsand scholarly contributions at [log in to unmask]

Gerald Zahavi and Julian Zelizer
Founding Editors, the Journal for Multimedia History http://www.albany.edu/jmmh
Department of History, University at Albany http://www.albany.edu/history
Phone: (518)442-4488
Fax: (518)442-3477
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Call For Papers: Philosophy In The Contemporary World

Reply to: Professor Joe Frank Jones, III <[log in to unmask]>
or Professor James Sauer <[log in to unmask]>

Philosophy In The Contemporary World -- the journal of the Society for
Philosophy in the Contemporary World -- solicits papers which address the
ways in which philosophy might be applied to contemporary problems, or
which use the resources of philosophical thought to help define, analyze,
clarify, or resolve contemporary problems. The articles should be clearly
and concisely written, and should address their subjects in an original and
substantive manner.

Philosophy In The Contemporary World is fully refereed, indexed, and
copyrighted. It is published four times a year by the society, which is a
non-profit organization under IRS code 501(c)3. No member receives pay or
remuneration of any kind from the Society for Philosophy in the
Contemporary World. Journal subscriptions include membership in the society
and vice-versa. Subscriptions are $40 per year.

Articles of two or three thousand words are preferred, but articles of
exceptional quality of any length will be considered. An abstract of the
article should be included and will be published. All materials, including
the abstract, block quotations, and notes, should be double-spaced. Notes
should be used sparingly, numbered consecutively, and placed at the end.
Parenthetical references are encouraged. For guidelines, see any issue of
the journal, the latest edition of Kate L. Turabian's A MANUAL FOR WRITERS,
or the latest edition of the CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE. A brief style guide
is available on request. It is the author's responsibility to make style
revisions, and accepted manuscripts will not be published until style
revisions have been made. Three hard copies should be submitted. The
author's name should not appear on the manuscript copies, which cannot be
returned. Authors should enclose a postcard if they want immediate
acknowledgment of receipt of their manuscripts. Unsolicited book reviews
are not accepted.

Articles accepted for publication should be resubmitted on computer disk
with accompanying hard copy. Submission in Microsoft Word is preferred,
though other software programs are often acceptable. PHILOSOPHY IN THE
CONTEMPORARY WORLD is created in PageMaker 5.0 on a Power Macintosh.
Manuscripts should be sent to:

Professor Joe Frank Jones, III
Editor, PHILOSOPHY IN THE CONTEMPORARY WORLD Religion/Philosophy Department
Barton College
Wilson, NC 27893-5000
USA

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

We are planning a possible session for the American Studies Conference
which will take place in Montreal, Quebec, October 28-31, 1999. Please
include the following call for abstracts. Thank you, Merrill Schleier

In the Embrace of Intelligent Machines: Gender, Technology, and Space in
American Cinema
>From the expressionist cinema of Fritz Lang to the high-tech dystopias of
Ridley Scott, film has revealed a more than passing fascination for the
ways in which humans shape and are shaped by technologies as diverse as the
modern skyscrape and the ATM machine. For this session, we are particularly
interested in papers on film that consider the interaction between
technology and gender and its impact upon a particular social space, such
as the American city, the war zone, the maternity ward, or the eerily
nationalistic 'deep space' of the outer galaxies. We seek a lively
interdisciplinary examination of how technology intersects with various
codes for 'masculine' and 'feminine' identities, identities which become
incorporated, sublimated, or derealized within the spaces of filmic worlds.
Send abstracts by January 10 to Prof. Camille Norton, English
Department,University of the Pacific, 3601 Pacific Ave., Stockton, CA
95211. Send inquiries to [log in to unmask]

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Call for Papers

The Genius of the (Other) System: The Rise and Fall of the Major Soviet Studios

March 12 and 13, 1999
Berkeley, California

'The American cinema is a classical art, but why not then admire in it what
is most admirable, i.e., not only the talent of this or that filmmaker, but
the genius of the system.'
--Andre Bazin

Many of us know Bazin's dictum, or the uses to which Schatz put it in his
monograph on the American studio system. But how much do we know about the
role of the studio in Soviet/post-Soviet cinema?

The Graduate Film Studies Group at the University of California, Berkeley
invites submissions for its spring conference. This two-day conference will
explore the role of the studio in Soviet film production and will feature
papers from American, Russian, and Eastern European scholars on the
development and destruction of the studio system.

We welcome proposals from a variety of theoretical or methodological
approaches. Papers might focus on a number of topics, including individuals
(e.g. Shumiatsky, Stalin, Pyriev), key moments (e.g.
formation/consolidation of the studios, their wartime relocation to
Alma-Ata), relationships (e.g. the studio and raw materials, the studio and
the star, VGIK and the studios), etc. Comparative approaches are welcome.
Submissions from graduate students are particularly encouraged. This
conference is sponsored in part by the Townsend Center for the Humanities.

Featured speakers will include Maya Turovskaya, Alexander Pozdniakov, and
Dina Iordanova.

Send abstract (200-300 words) by email, fax, or post by 1/9/99 to

Sylvia Swift
Film Studies #2670
UC Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2670

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

The Velvet Light Trap
A Critical Journal Of Film And Television Studies

Call For Papers: Realities: Images and Interpretations of the Real

Scholarship has long struggled to come to terms with the ways that moving
images depict the material world. Even as technological, industrial, and
sociohistorical changes have affected the form and content of images,
post-structuralist theory has complicated attempts to interpret
representations of reality. Production, representations, and reception of
'real-life' images has moved in a number of new directions as a result of
such diverse developments as the increasing improvement in
computer-generated images, the rise and popularity of reality programming
and other non-fiction media formats, and the diffusion of home video
equipment. With such shifts in mind, The Velvet Light Trap invites papers
offering new insights on the conception, production, reception, and
interpretation of images of reality within film and television studies.

Possible topics for this issue may include but are not limited to:

* Reality programming
* Documentaries and ethnographies
* Virtual reality and computer-mediated communication
* Tabloid television
* Bio-pics and docudramas
* Pornography
* Talk shows
* Televised sports
* Photography
* Scandal coverage
* Home video
* Specialty cable programs

Papers should be between 15 and 25 pages, double-spaced, in MLA style with
a cover page including the writer's name and contact information. All
submissions will be refereed by the journal's Editorial Advisory Board. For
more information, contact Mary Caudle Beltr=E1n (512-471-4071,
[log in to unmask]) or Karen Gustafson (512-471-4071,
[log in to unmask]). Submissions are due January 30, 1999.

Send manuscripts to:

The Velvet Light Trap

Department of Radio-Television-Film
University of Texas at Austin
CMA 6.118
Austin, TX 78712

The Velvet Light Trap is an academic, peer-reviewed journal of film and
television studies. The journal is published semi-annually in March and
September by the University of Texas Press. Issues are edited alternately
by graduate students at the University of Texas at Austin and the
University of Wisconsin-Madison. The Editorial Advisory Board includes such
notable scholars as Rhona Berenstein, Matthew Bernstein, Manthia Diawara,
Cynthia Fuchs, Herman Gray, Henry Jenkins, Lynn Joyrich, George Lipsitz,
Chon Noriega, Lynn Spigel, and Chris Straayer.

Mary Caudle Beltran
Dept. of Radio, Television, Film
University of Texas at Austin
(512) 232-1556 office

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

McGraw-Hill is pleased to announce a new film studies textbook and the
first ever film studies CD-ROM. Robert Kolker's 'Film, Form, and Culture'
analyses all the elements of film from the shot and the cut to the work of
the director, composer, and production designer. There is a chapter on
television and new media. The analysis is placed in a cultural context that
investigates the social construction of film.

The CD-ROM uses films clips from contemporary and classic films in an
interactive environment to analyse Continuity Cutting, The Long Take,
Montage, Mise-en-Scene, Lighting, Camera Movement, and Music.

For complete contents, point your browser to:
http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/art-film/kolker/

To order, call 1-800-338-3987

David Patterson

Marketing Manager
Art, Music, Film, Theater
McGraw-Hill College Division
ph: 212-904-2012
fx: 212-904-4606

----------------------
Robert Kolker
English Department
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
http://www.otal.umd.edu/~rkolker
301.405.6250

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Places still available at the following 24 hour conference event which will
be taking place next month at the University of Cambridge. This meeting
follows the Network Strategies workshop being organised by UKERNA/ACN.
Space still available for exhibitiors/demonstrators. Call 0171 393 1500 for
further details.

Networking Moving Images for University Teaching and Research Robinson
College Cambridge
17th - 18th December 1998
In December 1996 the British Universities Film & Video Council organised a
consultation day at the National Film Theatre in London to discuss the
potential for the network delivery of moving pictures to support higher
education and research (see the proceedings of this event at
www.bufvc.ac.uk). In January 1997, following a further meeting at the
British Film Institute with members of JISC's Committee on Electronic
Information, funding was agreed to support a joint pilot project which
began work in January 1998. This 24 hour conference meeting, which will
take place at Robinson College Cambridge from 2.00pm on Thursday 17th
December and will end after lunch on Friday 18th December 1998, is intended
to provide interested parties with an opportunity to find out more about
the progress of the project. There will also be a chance to sample the
activities of at least two other similar projects. The meeting, which will
immediately follow the Network Strategies event organised by ACN/UKERNA,
will be of interest to teaching staff with a special interest in the use of
moving pictures, librarians, archivists and academic service providers in
higher education.

Registration fees (includes refreshments, dinner, overnight accommodation -
single room with en-suite facilities - breakfast and lunch): Participants
in UK Higher and Further Education -- £230.00 inc.VAT BUFVC member discount
rate -- £190.00 inc.VAT Participants from organisations outside UK HE/FE
(trade associations, broadcasting and other commercial companies) --
£298.00 inc.VAT
Overnight accommodation limited to 160 rooms. Capacity of the conference
venue 240 or 270. Accommodation will be allocated on a first come, first
served basis.
Non-residential registration rates (with refreshments, dinner and lunch
included) are as follows:
UK HE/FE -- £190.00 inc.VAT BUFVC member discount rate -- £150.00 inc.VAT
Other organisations -- £250.00 inc.VAT There will be exhibition and table
demonstration space available. Please enquire with the organisers for
further details. During the workshop there will be an opportunity to see
and discuss the result of recent work carried out during 1998 in a joint
pilot project under the auspices of the British Film Institute (BFI), the
British Universities Film & Video Council (BUFVC) and the Joint Information
Systems Committee (JISC). Thursday 17th December 1998
1.00 pm Registration desk opens
2.15 pm Welcome and Introduction - Murray Weston (BUFVC) The following two
presentations will feature live on-line delivery of encoded moving pictures
and associated metadata from remote pilot sites using broadband connections
via the JANET backbone: 2.30 pm University of Glasgow/Performing Arts Data
Service This site is a predominantly campus-based development employing
Silicon Graphics server technology
Celia Duffy and Tony Pearson (with support from Steve Malloch in Glasgow)
with Mediabase and Hyperwave software.
3.00 pm South Wales MAN and the University of Glamorgan This site has set
out to serve a newly established Metropolitan Area Network and is employing
NT server technology with Microsoft Netshow and NetTheatre software.
Jeremy Atkinson and Kevin Evans (with support from David Morgan in Glamorgan)

3.30 pm Discussion
4.00 pm Tea/coffee break (demonstration and exhibition area open) Dining
Hall Balcony
The following two demonstrations will be free-standing. 4.30 pm The
Hilversum Pilot for Schools
Pim Slott (Nederlands Audiovisueel Archief) 5.00 pm BFI Online
the pilot public access service of the British Film Institute which has
been developed with IBM in parallel with the joint BFI/BUFVC/JISC pilot for
higher education.
Richard Paterson and Simon Harden
5.30 pm Discussion
6.00 pm Reception with wine in demonstration/exhibition area, Auditorium
Lounge and Back of Stage/Garden Room
7.30 pm Coach transport to Churchill College 8.00 pm Dinner at Churchill
College
9.30 pm Coach return to Robinson College Bar open at Robinson College until
1.00am

Friday 18th December 1998
7.30 - 8.45 am Breakfast
9.00 am Introduction - Murray Weston
9.15 am Lessons learned from the Joint Pilot Project so far Greg Newton-Ingham
Project Manager
9.45 am Implications of Scaling Up for Moving Picture Delivery via the UK
HE National Academic Network
Shirley Wood (United Kingdom Research Network Association - UKERNA) 10.15
am Discussion
10.45 am Coffee/tea break - Dining Hall Balcony 11.15 am The case for a
systematic approach to rights clearances for moving picture media for use
in UK HE. - Murray Weston 11.45 am Moving Picture Delivery for UK HE - the
next step Speakers - Mary Auckland (London Institute), Professor Sir Harold
Kroto (University of Sussex) and Professor Michael Clark (University of
Southampton) 12.15 Discussion
1.00pm Lunch in Robinson College
======================================================= Networking Moving
Images for University Teaching and Research Booking Form
Registration fees (includes refreshments, dinner, overnight accommodation -
single room with en-suite facilities - breakfast and lunch) - all rates
include VAT:
Participants in UK Higher and Further Education £230.00 BUFVC member
discount rate £190.00
Participants from organisations outside UK HE/FE (trade associations,
broadcasting and other commercial companies) £298.00 Overnight
accommodation availability at the college is limited to 160 rooms.
Accommodation will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. Car
parking spaces on-site may be reserved in advance (parking in Cambridge is
particularly difficult) at a cost of £3.00 per vehicle. Non-residential
registration rates (with refreshments, dinner and lunch included) are as
follows:
UK HE/FE £190.00
BUFVC member discount rate £150.00
Other organisations £250.00
Please complete this form and return to the address below with either (I)
credit card payment details, or (ii) an official order, or (iii) payment in
full by cheque (made out to BUFVC).
Please note that there will be no refunds on cancellations received on or
after 7th December 1998.
I wish to book _ residential place(s) at the above event at a cost of
........................... each
I wish to book _ non-residential place(s) at the above event at a cost of
.................... each
I enclose payment/credit card details/official order for a total of £ ........
Name:
Position:
................................................................... Address:
.
............................. Post code: .................................
Tel: .............................. Fax: .............................. e-
Mail: ................................
Credit Card No.:
............................................................... Expiry Date:
.................................................................. There
will be exhibition and demonstration space available. Please enquire with
the organisers for further details. I would like further details of
exhibition and demonstration space available: ..................... _
I would like to demonstrate/exhibit the following:
.
.
.
Signed:
Date:
.

Please return this completed form by post or by fax to: Conference
Administrator, British Universities Film & Video Council, 77 Wells Street,
London W1P 3RE Fax: 0171 393 1555 e-mail: [log in to unmask] If you require
further information or assistance please call: 0171 393 1500

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Researching Culture
An international, multi-disciplinary conference on: traditions, approaches
and methods for analysing culture 10/11/12 September 1999, University of
North London

CALL FOR PAPERS

Today no single discipline 'owns' the study of culture. This is an
expanding field of analysis across philosophy, anthropology, sociology,
cultural and media studies, literary studies, film studies, gender studies,
organisational studies, geography, history, political science, and
economics. Each of these disciplines has contributed to the study of
culture and in the process have produced diverse definitions and methods
for its analysis. What does it mean to study culture in this
multi-disciplinary environment. Indeed should there be a consensus on what
'culture' means?

This conference aims to bring together researchers from a wide range of
backgrounds to discuss the present and future directions of cultural
analysis. We welcome papers that explore the following questions either
from an epistemological perspective or through current research:

Should we decentre the concept of culture? Are disciplinary boundaries
useful when studying culture? Are we asking the right questions?
What are the politics of studying culture? What is at stake in the funding
of cultural research? Text/audience/institutions: what do we mean by 'media
culture'? What ever happened to political economy? Do new methods follow
from new technologies? Are we living in a global culture?
Decentring Europe: how do we ensure internationalist perspectives?.

Proposals, of 300 words maximum, are invited from academics and researchers
in all relevant fields.

Please send proposals by February 8th 1999 to:

Jayne Morgan, 'Researching Culture' Conference Organiser

mail: School of Social Sciences, University of North London, Ladbroke House
62-66 Highbury Grove, London N5 2AD UK

email: [log in to unmask]

Jayne Morgan
EAS RPG
UEA
Norwich NR4 7TJ UK

telephone: +44 1603 456239
email: [log in to unmask]

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

There are two new articles on the Hitchcock Scholars/'MacGuffin' Web site.

One is by Hitchcock himself (writing in 1936), on film and melodrama, the
other is a review by Charles Silet (Iowa State Uni.) of Father Neil
Hurley's 'Soul in Suspense'.

Films and topics recently discussed in 'The Editor's Day' feature on the
same site include THE RING, British vs American humour, THE PLEASURE
GARDEN, food in Hitchcock movies, backstories in Hitchcock movies, (Van
Sant's) PSYCHO, JUNO AND THE PAYCOCK, THE SKIN GAME, John Galsworthy
(including a possible tribute to him in FRENZY), and MURDER!.

- Ken Mogg (Ed., 'The MacGuffin').
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~muffin/news-home_c.html

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

IAMHIST
Internatikonal Association for Media and History

Call for Papers:
International Conference
'The Media and the Political Change in Europe'

>From September 17 to September 20, 1999 in Berlin Organised by
Deutsches Historisches Museum Location: Martin Gropius Bau

One of the most astonishing events in recent history is undoubtedly the
process being described as 'change in Europe'. The increasing dissolving of
the communist systems in Europe in 1989, the voluntary giving up of
dictatureships, the vanishing of states could have hardly be foreseen. At
any rate, the political reaction to the process of dissolving cannot be
understood as consequent enforcement of a strategy having followed up for a
long time. It is, in fact, rather a reaction than an action. The media -
and above all the border passing means being available for radio and
television - in multiple respect have a special significance for the look
at the political change in Europe. In general one can say: the media have
prepared, documented, commented and finally reflected the political change.
However, and this shall not be hided, a great many of the available media
have neglected this subject to a very high extent. The political change in
Europe have not played a part in the majority of all programmes. They have
ignored these processes persistently as they have equally not taken up the
political developments. It is remarkable that nevertheless their
transmissions definitely have had a part in this change, because for the
recipients 'beyond the iron curtain' any information received has been
considered invaluable, above all from the ideological point of view. It is
quite obvious that this extremely high value for those beyond the iron
curtain could not come to mind to those on this side of the border.
Therefore the conference will attend primarily to propagandistic
programmes, news and information programmes, to documentaries, but on the
same time to the reception of any kind of presentation to the recipients in
East Europe.

Main Subjects of the Conference:
- Foundation of anti communist broadcasts (Radio Free Euope, Radio Libery,
RIAS)
- Strategies of programmes of border passing transmissions during the cold
war and afterwards
- Reception of western media (radio, and later television) in East Europe -
Importance of the media for East European dissident movements - Political
crisises and reportings ( 17th of June in 1953, Hungary 1956, Prague 1968,
Solidarnocz, etc)
- Gorbatchew and the offensive 'exploitation' in the (western) media - The
importance of the KSZE final agreement (Helsinki) for the East-West exchange
- The change in Europe nothing more than a media initiated revolution. -
Summer and autumn 1989 in television
- First attempts to summarize: features and documentaries in film and TV on
the occasion of the anniversary of the change.

Contact:
Rainer Rother and/or Eva-M. Baumann
Deutsches Historisches Museum
Unter den Linden 2
D-10117 Berlin

Tel: 030 / 20 30 44 21 (Eva-M. Baumann)
Fax: 030 / 20 30 44 24

e-mail:

Abstracts:
- 1 page at 30 lines and 60 strikes, threefold - Deadline: January 31st, 1999
- Short biography and list of recent publicatations

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0