PHD-DESIGN  August 2012

PHD-DESIGN August 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Hurrah! Re: Design Education - Rethinking the role of Design History

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:42:52 +0800

text/plain

Dear Ken,

First, before saying anything more, I wish to apologise if the comment about
Ferraris appeared harsh or critical. I did not intend it to be - rather I
intended it to be the simplest mental picture I could imagine of where an
issue is investigated using a framework that appears to apply but does not.
Second, I'd like to emphasise that my interest is in better design outcomes.
The educational formation of professional designers has a strong ethical
dimension because of the way that their decisions can significantly affect
large numbers of people's lives for the worse as well as better.   This is
significantly different from committing energy to  support the ecological
survival of academic activities.

Between us (you and me) we appear to be  in a strange communication
situation. Here is how I see it. It may be you see things differently.

To date, for many in Design education, Design history very strongly
influences how issues  of Design are viewed, discussed, interpreted and
theorised about. Shifting the focus onto historiography (in its modern
meaning) simply shifts the focus on to the mechanics of the historical
analysis: the frame and lens of viewing things through the lenses and
cultures of historical analysis  remains.

I am arguing the viewing of design as an activity  through the lenses of
history is a problem, and suggesting we should look at  Design activity from
other viewpoints  in which design history is either excluded or minimised.
To say it differently, I'm suggesting we view and  analyse design activity
from a non-history-based perspective, and validate everything about that way
of seeing and interpreting Design issues outside the validation and
interpretations  of design history perspectives.  I've pointed to some of
the reasons why other disciplines have found this useful and why it appears
to be of significant benefit for the future of Design as a field. I
appreciate this is culturally difficult for those who have been immersed in
ways of thinking in which design and design history have been seen as
contiguous, overlapping or interdependent.

Your reply seems to be that I must be mistaken because, viewing things
through a design history perspective, the world looks differently from what
I am suggesting.

 I think that is making my point.

Three  additional issues may be relevant to the discussion more broadly.

The first is that other design fields act as exemplars in that they have
already been  through the same process. One is the Engineering Art that
became Engineering Design. Another is the Islamic Arts of the middle ages
from which emerged Natural Philosophy and then  Science as we now know it
(apparently in part through insulting criticism by Natural Philosophers of
those who ignored the history dimension and were interested more  in the
'physical behaviour of phenomena' and were nicknamed  the 'physicalists' -
which became shortened to 'Physics').

The second, as I've written about earlier, is the problem of complex
situations involving 2 or more feedback loops influencing the behaviour of
design outcomes.  Observation indicates that individuals cannot  'in mind'
understand or predict the dynamic behaviour of situations with  2 or more
feedback loops.  In this situation, there are  several typical classes of
response.  None of them work, but their appearance is diagnostic  of failure
of organisation, design outcomes and understanding. One is to simplify the
understanding about the situation until it is reduced in complexity to the
level it can be thought about. This is common in Design and fails because
the complexity of the 'understanding' is insufficient to match the real
complexity of the situation. Another way is to view things from
'perspectives'. This fails for similar reasons. A diagnostic of this
approach is where a field  or group suggests 'understanding a situation
depends on the perspective that one uses'.  A third way, is when designers
attempt to use group think to address situations that are too complex for an
individual to understand.  This fails because all that occurs are
combinations of the above two: i.e. rather than a single person that doesn't
understand and is incapable of predicting outcomes, there is a group of
people who all individually  do not understand  and are incapable of
predicting outcomes.

Historical analyses undertaken in the ways outlined above would be expected
to  have the same failures and same relative irrelevance to design practice
and theory making.

Most of the interesting and socially important kinds of design situations
are typified by the  outcomes being influenced by two or more feedback
loops.  It is these that require a different approach.

The solution for Design (as Herb Simon identified in the 50s) is to create
computer models and understand and predict outcomes through modifying the
models - the role of historical analysis is primarily to provide the data
for calibrating the models.  Simon simply distinguished between more and
less complicated/complex design situations. I've found that the 2 feedback
loop boundary is an important differentiator  between simple design
situations and   omplex (in Don's terms, 'complicated')  design situations.

A third issue understanding and theorising about design activity involves
distinguishing  between design *outputs* and design *outcomes*.  There are a
number of reasons: the most obvious are typified by the application of
program models to theorise and manage design.  Ethel  pointed to this
difference between  design *outputs* and design *outcomes* in her post that
referred to Maldonado and  refrigerators. The design that specifies how to
make a particular kind of refrigerator is a design output. In contrast, the
ability for people to have better food is a design outcome. The distinction
is conceptually essential for developing improved design outcomes.
Currently, it design history appears to privilege its focus on design
outputs.

Viewing things in a slightly different light, I'm suggesting there are other
reasons for rethinking the relationship between design education and design
history and these  include that a) design historical analyses are a long way
from being well suited for complex/complicated design situations, and b)
most of the design situations of interest are complex/complicated design
situations for which it appears at the moment that design history methods of
analysis are not yet sufficiently developed to address or choose not to
address using the tools necessary. I'm open to correction on this. If so,
please point me to appropriate material.

On a more concrete level. It's unclear how design history really helps. For
example, it  looks like the world is likely to have an epidemic of damaged
hearing due to power levels in designed devices delivering music  direct to
the ear (iPods and the like).  Historically, I know in the late 70s, many of
us developing such devices halted design and production because it was
obvious that the devices exceeded industrial occupational health and safety
maximums for noise levels. Where were, or are, the design historians drawing
on the experiences of this past  and  advising designers  to not create such
devices and making the design problems known to the public? Practically, I
feel it's necessary to ask how input from Design History can be better
realised.

I feel understand your comments and the traditional understanding of the
role of design history in design education. Please advise if you think it is
not so.  To me that kind understanding seems insufficient, and 'more of the
same' in the development of Design education does not appear to be the best
way forward.

Regards,
Terence
---
Dr Terence Love
BA(Hons) PhD(UWA), PGCEd, FDRS, AMIMechE, PMACM, MISI
Director,
Love Services Pty Ltd
PO Box 226, Quinns Rocks
Western Australia 6030