PHD-DESIGN  October 2007

PHD-DESIGN October 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: PHD-DESIGN Digest - 18 Oct 2007 to 19 Oct 2007 (#2007-243)

Mads Vedel Jensen <[log in to unmask]>

Mads Vedel Jensen <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:39:25 +0200

text/plain

Chris, Ken and others

Now that violin playing has turned into hair splitting, I want to unfold the argument that I, without much success, intended to make in my first post. With ordinary user interfaces, such as GUI’s, no matter how skilled one is in button pushing, the quality of one's push rarely has any effect on the outcome. This is highly contrasted with the violin viewed as a user interface; the skill of the user is clearly reflected in the outcome of the interaction. Ullmer and Ishii proposed the abacus as a compelling metaphor to illustrate the seamless integration of representation and control in tangible interfaces (Ullmer and Ishii 2000). We can challenge this, and get a different view at interaction, by choosing the violin as a metaphor and in it find a range of qualities that a number of researchers subscribe to, e.g. Tom Djajadiningrat (with a number of colleagues) who for several years have challenged assumptions like movement monotony and ease-of-use. In an interaction course, taught by Marcelle Stienstra and myself, a group of students succeeded in designing an industrial interface with inspiration from qualities they derived from violin playing. This serves as the background for my outburst.
I boldly stated that the violin has a perfect fit with the human body. Chris Rust rightfully reminded me of the ergonomic problems that the violin pose, problems it shares with any interface that is subject to extreme one-sided activity; just look at the computer mouse. And Chris; feel free to split my hair, although it is grey I still have plenty to share.
Francois-Xavier followed up on Ken’s gentle and knowing lecture on hair splitting and I can only approve of it, I only had eyes for ingrown hairs, sorry!

Best regards,

Mads

Djajadiningrat J.P., W. S. A. G., Frens J. Overbeeke K., (2004). "Tangible products: redressing the balance between appearance and action." Personal and Ubiquitous Computing(8): 294 - 309.
Djajadiningrat, J. P., C. J. Overbeeke, et al. (2000). Augmenting fun and beauty: A Pamphlet. DARE 2000, Elsinore, Demark.
Djajadiningrat, T., B. Matthews, et al. (2006). " Easy doesn’t do it: skill and expression in tangible aesthetics." Personal and Ubiquitous Computing 11(8): 657-676.
Frens, J. (2006). Designing for Rich Interaction: Integrating Form, Interaction and Function. Faculty of Industrial Design. Eindhoven, Eindhoven University of Technology: 224.
Jensen, M. V. and M. Stienstra (2007). Making Sense: Interactive Sculptures as Tangible Design Material. Designing Pleassurable Products and Interfaces, Helsinki.
Overbeeke, K. C. J. and S. S. A. G. Wensveen (2003). From Perception to Experience, from Affordances to Irresistibles, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
Ullmer, B. and H. Ishii (2000). "Emerging frameworks for tangible user interfaces." IBM SYSTEMS JOURNAL VOL 39, NOS 3&4, 2000: 915-931.

Mads Vedel Jensen
Research Assistant, Msc
User Centred Design, Mads Clausen Institute
Web: www.sdu.dk/mci
Alsion 2, 6400 Sønderborg
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN DENMARK