PHD-DESIGN  October 2007

PHD-DESIGN October 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Bridges -- and gaps -- between research and practice

Stephen Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Stephen Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:22:03 +0100

text/plain

Hi Charlotte,
I think you are right in saying that accessibility/usability is often
considered too late and that it is not generally a sales argument, even
though it could and should be.  But Im not sure that your first guess
about mismatch between research methods and industrial requirements is
valid. All products are usability/accessibility tested, but this may not
happen until after the product has been launched and the public start to
try to use it, at which point the product might fail completely or may
at least do less well than if it had been designed for usability.  This
is expensive in terms of reputation, lost sales and potentially
re-design and manufacture costs. Sometimes usability problems are
discovered before launch but after significant manufacturing set up
costs have been incurred.  This is also very expensive and potentially
time-consuming to fix.  Generally speaking, the earlier usability
testing is carried out the quicker and more cheaply it can be done.
Also frequent testing reduces rather than increases development time, by
eliminating the amount of time required to make extensive and costly
design changes late on in the development cycle. For a very readable
approach to lightweight (ie fast and cheap but effective) user testing,
see Krug, S. (2000)Don't Make Me Think. Indianapolis: New Riders. Its
written in the context of web design but the concepts apply to product
deign more generally.

Another common cause of inaccessible design is unthinking application of
not very well thought out guidelines and standards.  For example, the
Web accessibility initiative Web content accessibility guidelines
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/ are widely acknowledged to be
out-of-date and inappropriate for the technical environment and ways in
which the Web is used today. Yet the British government has recently
proposed to mandate WCAG AA for all government Web sites, with failure
to do so resulting in a loss of the .gov.uk domain. I and others have
argued (Kelly, B., Brown, S., Sloan, D., Petrie, H., Lauke, P., Ball,
S., Seale, S. 2007 'Accessibility 2.0: People, Policy and Processes' Web
2.0 and the Semantic Web: Hindrance or Opportunity?, The 4th
International Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility, 7-8
May 2007, Banff, Canada.  http://www.w4a.info/2007/prog/15-kelly.pdf
)that design for accessibility needs to reflect the context of usage,
including the aims of a service (informational, educational, cultural,
etc.), the users' and the services providers' environment and that a
'one size fits all' standards based approach is demonstrably impractical
and inappropriate. In other words, unthinking adherence to standards is
a poor substitute for genuine user centred design.
Regards Stephen