PHD-DESIGN  April 2007

PHD-DESIGN April 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

FW: Legitimate Interests, Stakes, and Ethics -- Long Post

jacqui <[log in to unmask]>

jacqui <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:02:05 +0100

text/plain

Hi all,

I am interested in your definitions of stakeholders, not the least because I
have been doing the revisions to my thesis and this is one of the things I
have been modifying and finding quite difficult due to the very issues Ken
describes. I have never considered stakeholders to be people who have only a
financial interest in a design but rather everyone who is involved. Having a
background in both psychology and social science, I work very much on the
perspective that everyone involved in a design and indeed the use of the
final artifact/environment/system brings to it their own values and belief
systems which influence how they perceive both the design and its usage.

This brings me to the interesting topic of ethics and the reason why, though
I am in comparison to most of you, a novice in the design research field,
that I wanted to step in and mention my perspective as perhaps it is one
that most of you may not come across.

My work is in an interdisciplinary field and my PhD was also interlinked
with a collaborative project so there were many issues involving most of the
topics you are all covering, particularly the issue of ethics.

My work and personal experience is with autistic people and my Phd and work
is regarding design and research for this population. All too often, this
user group gets 'designed for' and decisions are made by designers and other
stakeholders based on perceived needs rather than actual needs. In my humble
opinion, the issue of non malificence has always been paramount in any
design, particularly when it is for a 'vulnerable user group' and although I
work in the field of disability, I believe this also applies to other
populations. However, beneficence is often far more ambiguous in that is
very much dependent on each stakeholders viewpoint. In my own personal
experience, this is often where problems occur.

On a slightly lighter note I do find that the term ' tame problem' seems
rather a juxtraposition!

Thanks all for your interesting information and apologies for errors. I tend
to write as I think!

Jacqui