FILM-PHILOSOPHY 1999

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

film-philosophy news 2/2

F i l m - P h i l o s o p h y <[log in to unmask]>

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]

Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:05:29 +0000

text/plain

| ||| | || |      | |    |||    || ||||| || ||||||||||||||||||||||

        f i l m - p h i l o s o p h y
                salon news

| ||| | || |      | |    |||    || ||||| || ||||||||||||||||||||||

The Discipline Formerly Known As...
Renewing Philosophy
Computer Games
Walter Benjamin and Aura
Arguing With Derrida
The British Journal of Aesthetics
Making Wings Of Desire Sing
anamorphosis
Iconics
Visual Culture
INFOG99
Intentionality and the Natural Mind
Terrence Malick
Cultural Turn
Film Reception--Audiences and Spectatorship
The Screening Room
Television Talk
www.theory.org.uk
Asian Cinema Studies Society
Popular Culture Conference
Audiovisions
American Society Of Phenomenology, Aesthetics & the Fine Arts

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Do disciplines morph, shape-shift, redefine themselves? And what happens in
the academy when they do? The truth IS out there. Answers to these
questions (and more!) can be found at 'The Discipline Formerly Known As...'.

The Visual Studies Graduate Program of the University of California, Irvine
is proud to present:

The Discipline Formerly Known As...

A Graduate student conference hosted by the Visual Studies Graduate Student
Association of UCI

KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Michael Anne Holly, Professor of Visual and Cultural
Studies and Chair of the Department of Art History, University of Rochester

The Visual Studies Graduate Student Association of UCI is currently
accepting submissions for its 1999 conference, April 30- May 1. The
conference organizers are seeking scholarly work by graduate students that
is self-reflexive in its interrogation of disciplinary shifts within the
fields of Art History, Film Studies, and Visual Culture, and which moves
towards interdisciplinarity. Topics may include but are not limited to:
debates surrounding visual culture; the intersection of issues of visuality
with modernity, race, nation, gender, and/or sexuality; new and historic
technologies; East/West discourses; vision and textuality. We encourage
submissions reflecting a broad range of historical locations, areas of
study and theoretical positions.

'The Discipline Formerly Known As...'. Graduate Student Conference will
open with a keynote address by Professor Michael Anne Holly on Friday,
April 30, 1999, followed by a full day of scholarly presentations by
graduate students on Saturday, May 1. The event will culminate in a special
screening at the Film and Video Center at UCI that evening. For more
information visit the conference web page at
http://www.humanities.uci.edu/vsgs/

Proposals of 1-2 pages for twenty minute papers should be accompanied by a
brief cover letter. Decisions will be announced in March. Please send
inquiries or abstracts to: [log in to unmask] OR

'The Discipline Formerly Known As..'. Graduate Student Conference
Department of Art History
Humanities Instructional Building 85
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-2785

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS FEBRUARY 15, 1999

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

A new philosophy series is being edited by me for Macmillan?St. Martin's
Press entitled Renewing Philosophy.

It is intended as its name suggests to be a forum for new and imaginative
work which engages with the history of philosophy in order to face the
contemporary challenges of the subject. Philosophical reflection on the
place of the human with regard to the changed position of machines and the
generalization of prosthetics will be particularly encouraged. The series
will also aim to include new work in the areas of aesthetics, philosophy of
biology, eschatology, historicity and meta-philosophy.

Proposals should for a length of 80-90,000 words. Please send all proposals
directly to me and not to Macmillan/ St. Martin's Press.

My email: [log in to unmask]

S-Mail:

Dr. Gary Banham
Flat 2
142 Platt Lane
Manchester
M14 5WH

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Reply to: 'D. Rieder' <[log in to unmask]>

E N C U L T U R A T I O N - > C F P

The editors of _Enculturation_ <http://www.uta.edu/enculturation> seek
papers for a special issue on Computer Games. We are especially interested
in projects/papers that approach computer gaming and the programming
environments in which they are developed from theoretical, philosophical,
and/or rhetorical perspectives. Approaches would include: cultural studies,
semiotics, psychoanalytic theories, feminism(s), hermeneutics,
multimedia/communications theories, composition theories, and narrative
theories. Also encouraged are papers that strive to transform, disrupt, or
otherwise distort established theoretical, critical categories.

IN ADDITION to academic essays, we are interested in original web-based
games, reviews of games, interviews with developers, and analyses of gaming
conventions. Text-based submissions should be no longer than 5000 words.
Please inform Dave Rieder at [log in to unmask], before sending projects
over 20 megs.

Possible topics include but are not limited to:

Theories/Ontologies of Gaming
Histories of Computing/Programming and Gaming Rhetorics of Computer Games
Genders of Computer Games
Play/Chance and Computer Gaming
Studies of PKs (Player-Killers)
Studies of Space in Computer Gaming
Histories of MU*s
Cultural Studies of MU*s
Ergodic/Cyborg Literature
Representational Avatars and Games
Hackers and Computer Games/-ing
Histories of Video/Computer Games
Futures of Computer Gaming

Psychoanalysis as Play *
Critical Approaches to Programming Environments *

* We hope to accept several articles on computing, technology, or concepts
basic to Computer Gaming, like play and computer programming.

All submissions DUE by 1 July, 1999. Please send submissions to:

Dave Rieder

Address:
Dave Rieder
c/o Enculturation
1701 Hidden Bluff Trail #3032
Arlington, TX 76006

Submission Form (text-only)
http://www.uta.edu/huma/enculturation/submit.html

--
_Enculturation_ is a journal devoted to theoretical/rhetorical approaches
to discourse, culture, and society. Please see our website (listed above)

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Reply to: [log in to unmask]

Walter Benjamin and Aura (2/28/99, essay collection)

For an upcoming publication entitled Benjamin's Blindspot we are seeking
1000 - 2000 word essays that address Walter Benjamin's concept of aura. We
are especially interested in works that explore 'blindspots' in both
Benjamin's thinking about aura AND critics' interpretations of Benjamin's
thinking on aura. Areas of interest may include: the place of the artist in
Benjamin's chronology of the decline of aura; The relationship of aura to
the creative epiphany, including the dark or destructive epiphany; The
relationship of Benjamin's aura to ritual and why he condemns them both;
The confusion in both Benjamin and his critics about the 'site' of aura;
The future of aura after Benjamin.

We are also interested in essays that do not address Walter Benjamin
directly but that refer to the artist's relationship to aura, epiphany, or
ritual in ways that are outlined above. Deadline: February 28, 1999.

The Institute of Cultural Inquiry, 1708 Berkeley Street, Santa Monica, CA
90404 or [log in to unmask]

Thank you.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

The RATIO one-day conference

ARGUING WITH DERRIDA

Saturday 22nd May 1999
Lecture Theatre, Faculty of Letters & Social Sciences Building, University
of Reading

Speakers:

JACQUES DERRIDA
Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris

A.W.MOORE
St. Hugh's College, Oxford

GEOFFREY BENNINGTON
University of Sussex

THOMAS BALDWIN
University of York

STEPHEN MULHALL
New College, Oxford

The full registration fee is £20, which includes refreshments and lunch. A
limited number of subsidised places are available for students, at a charge
of £10. Please register as early as possible. Make cheques payable to The
University of Reading, and send them to: Jean Britland, Philosophy
Department, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6AA.

Enquiries via e-mail to Conference Organiser Simon Glendinning,

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

CONTENTS
THE BRITISH JOURNAL OF AESTHETICS

VOLUME 39, NO.1, JANUARY 1999

ARTICLES

Feeling the Musical Emotions PETER KIVY

Counting Fragments, and Frenhofer's Paradox PAISLEY LIVINGSTON

Three Kinds of Recording and the Metaphysics of Music ARON EDIDIN

The Objectivity of Aesthetic Judgments M R ROWE

Dickens and the Cratylus CARROL CLARKSON

What a Musical Forgery Isn't CHRISTOPHER JANAWAY

BOOK REVIEWS

Rethinking Architecture: A Reader in Cultural Theory: Edited by Neil
LeachCLIVE CAZEAUX

Artworks: Definition, Meaning, Value: Robert Stecker
R A SHARPE

Constructive Dissonance: Arnold Schoenberg and the Transformation of
Twentieth-Century Culture: Edited by Juliane Brand and Christopher Hailey
ANDY HAMILTON

Aesthetics: Colin Lyas MARY MOTHERSILL

Emotion and the Arts:
Edited by Mette Hjort and Sue Laver EDWARD GRON

Introduction to Aesthetics: An Analytic Approach: George Dickie STEPHEN DAVIES

The Rhetoric of the Frame: Essays on the Boundaries of the Artwork: Edited
by Paul Duro RUDOLF ARNHEIM

International Yearbook of Aesthetics. Volume 1, 1996: Edited by Göran
Hermerén JEFFERY PETTS

Photography and Its Critics: A Cultural History 1839-1900: Mary Warner
Marien PAUL S. MacDONALD

Professor Peter Lamarque

Department of Philosophy Tel: (+44) (0)1482 465620 / 465995
University of Hull Fax: (+44) (0)1482 466122
Hull E-mail: [log in to unmask]
HU6 7RX
UK Editor - The British Journal of Aesthetics

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

>From the Boston Phoenix, Thursday, January 21, 1999

Making Wings Of Desire Sing

It's one thing to provide live music as accompaniment to silent films, as
the Alloy Orchestra has done for the likes of Metropolis and Strike and
Steamboat Bill, Jr. It's quite another to integrate live music into a movie
that already has a score. But that's what the vocal art ensemble the Boston
Secession is going to attempt next weekend when it performs music ranging
from Beethoven and Rossini to Arvo Pärt and Philip Glass while the Coolidge
Corner screens Wim Wenders's 1987 touching-an-angel film Wings of Desire.

It's not as odd an idea as you might think. Apart from the Berlin nightclub
performances -- Crime and the City Solution's 'Six Bells Chime', Nick Cave
and the Bad Seeds' 'The Carny' and 'From Her to Eternity' (the film, of
course, goes from eternity to her) -- Jürgen Knieper's score is
intermittent and most discreet: a snatch of cello here, a little ambient
synth there. Boston Secession artistic director Jane Ring Frank explains,
'Whereas with orchestras like the Alloy, the music is brought in to
revitalize the cinematic experience, we're using the movie to revitalize
the concert experience'. 'Bach Again', the Secession's first major
presentation (in January of 1998), 'showed where Bach got his ideas and
then showed what composers have done with them since, and that culminated
with the Arvo Pärt Credo'. Not to mention the Carpenters' Christmas album.
'This is very very weird', Frank admits, 'but in my youth, however it
happened, I sang back-up for the Carpenters'. Bach . . . Pärt . . .
Carpenters -- clearly Frank, who is chapel musician at the Episcopal
Divinity School in Harvard Square and a visiting scholar at Brandeis (she
also teaches at Emerson), is no mean musical historian.

But why Wings of Desire? 'My colleague Bob Fink and I were kicking around
how much fun it would be to score a cartoon, or even a whole movie. What we
were looking for was something with poetic imagery'. So how often has she
watched the film over the past year? 'Hundreds of times. And we perused
hundreds of scores'. The result reflects Frank's centuries-spanning musical
range. Philip Glass's Einstein on the Beach for the camera's opening
discovery of angel Damiel atop Berlin's Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche,
Ligeti's Lux Aeterna in the Staatsbibliothek, the Kyrie from Rossini's
Petite messe solennelle for the motorcycle accident, the Chorus of the
Exiled Jews from John Adams's The Death of Klinghoffer during Homer's
search for Potsdamer Platz, Ligeti's Aventures for Cassiel's 'death leap'
off the Siegessäule, Saint-Saëns's Le cygne for Marion lying on her bed,
the last part of Beethoven's String Quartet Opus 132 when Damiel takes the
plunge, and Bruckner's sublime motet Christus factus est for Marion's
'Jetzt oder nie' monologue in the bar.

The Secession performers, including instrumentalists as well as vocalists,
will sit in front of the screen, but you'll still be able to read the
subtitles. And you'll hear parts of the original soundtrack (Nick Cave is a
good bet), as well as some of the original silences. Some might call this
messing with a classic, but exploring is, after all, in the spirit of Wings
of Desire, and who's to say that the Secession's performance won't lift
Wenders's film -- whose German title is Der Himmel über Berlin -- even
higher into the heavens.

The Boston Secession will accompany Wings of Desire at 7:30 p.m. next
Friday and Saturday, January 29 and 30, at the Coolidge Corner Theatre,
Brookline. Call 734-2501 for further information, 617/931-2000 (or stop by
the box office) for tickets.
-- Jeffrey Gantz

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

From: Australian Network for Art and Technology <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: invitation to: anamorphosis - the 1999 ANAT National Summer School
forum

The Australian Network for Art & Technology
and Metro Screen Inc.

Invite you to attend:
*************
* anamorphosis *
*************

the Reception and Forum for the 1999 ANAT National Summer School in Science
and Art

5 - 8pm Wednesday 27 January, 1998
Chauvel Cinemas, Sydney Film Centre
Paddinton Town Hall
cnr of Oatley Road and Oxford Street
Paddington, Sydney

and online at
http://www.anat.org.au/projects/99nss/

You are invited to join the 14 artists from across Australia who have been
selected to participate in the 1999 National Summer School in Science and
Art, coordinated by the Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT) at
Metro Screen in Paddington, Sydney, NSW from 11-29 January, for an evening
of discussion and dialogue.

The artists' presentations and ANAT's 1999 program of activities will be
offically launched by STELARC, one of Australia's most internationally well
recognised performance artist whose work explores and extends the concept
of the body and its relationship with technology. Stelarc was also a
participant of the second ANAT National Summer School in 1990.

anamorphosis, a satellite event of the National Summer School, will provide
artists with a forum to exchange ideas and experiences with their
colleagues from around Australia. The evening will combine a series of
artists' presentations, with an opportunity to meet the summer school
participants.

PAULA DAWSON, internationally renowned Holographic artist, will give the
keynote artist's presentation. Dawson is best know for her large scale
installations which incorporate laser transmission images of architectural
interiors and was also a previous participant of the National Summer School.

Sydney based artist RODNEY BERRY will discuss his recent project, 'Feeping
Creatures', an artificial ecology that generates music and graphics through
the evolution and behaviours of synthetic organisms. A project Berry
describes as being 'in search of the elusive perpetual variety engine'.
<http://www.proximity.com.au/~rodney/soundworks.html>

YONAT ZURR and ORON CATTS, artists from Perth, will discuss 'Tissue Culture
and Art' a research project into the use and representation of tissue
culture and tissue engineering as a medium for artistic expression.
<http://www.imago.com.au/tca/>

anamorphosis will also give the public and media an opportunity to view
work-in-progress being produced by participants at the school as well as
works demonstrating the work of previous summer school participants.

In a vivid example of the cultural significance of the Summer School, the
1997 participants in the school have continued to work together under the
collective name, nervous_objects <http://www.imago.com.au/nervous>,
receiving critical acclaim for their totally networked synaesthetic
environments. The nervous_ objects are currently developing a new work,
which will be broadcast live on the internet from Pekina, South Australia.

In 1998 ANAT commissioned Sydney artist, Lloyd Sharp, to develop a CD Rom
documenting the diverse history of the ANAT National Summer Schools. This
CD will also be available for viewing.

Artists attending the 1999 National Summer School are:

Rodney Berry, Sydney, NSW
Liz Hughes, Sydney, NSW
Geni Weight, Adelaide, SA
Melinda Burgess, Werri Beach, NSW
Solange Kershaw, Sydney, NSW
Jordan Wynnychuk, Melbourne, VIC
Lea Collins, Canberra, ACT
Gordon Monroe, Sydney, NSW
Yonat Zurr, Perth WA
Adam Donovan, Brisbane, QLD
Stephen Poljansek, Hobart, TAS
Jeremy Yuille, Brisbane, QLD
Chris Fortescue, Sydney, NSW
Rea, Sydney, NSW

The National Summer School is supported by: the Federal Government through
the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body; the Queensland
Government's Office of Arts and Cultural Development through Queensland
Artworker's Alliance; the New South Wales Film and Television Office; and
the Minister for Education and the Arts through Arts Tasmania. This year's
School also receives support from Metro Screen, the University of Sydney's
Vislab and the University of New South Wales' College of Fine Arts.
Stelarc's attendance has also been assisted by dLux media arts and Casula
Powerhouse.

RSVP:
mailto:[log in to unmask] or 02 9361 5318

and for regular updates check out
http://www.anat.org.au/projects/99nss/

>FROM THE DESK OF THE AUSTRALIAN NETWORK FOR ART AND TECHNOLOGY
postal address: PO Box 8029 Hindley Street, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
web address: http://www.anat.org.au/
telephone: +61 (0)8-8231-9037
fax: +61 (0)8-8211-7323
Director: Amanda McDonald Crowley (tel: 0419 829 313) Administration and
Information Officer: Honor Harger Web and Technical Officer: Martin
Thompson Memberships: $A12 (unwaged), $A25 (waged), $A50 (institutions)

ANAT receives support from The Australia Council, http://www.ozco.gov.au
the Federal Government's arts funding and advisory body

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

From: [log in to unmask] 'Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow' 27-JAN-1999
06:59:05.09

_Iconics_, the international edition of the journal of the Japan Society of
Image Arts and Sciences, has recently come out with its 4th issue (1998)
featuring articles in English, French, and German on Japanese and world
cinema, photography, and digital images.

Contents:
- Old and New: Image, Indexicality and Historicity in the Digital Utopia
(Philip Rosen)
- Histoire sans passe: film et construction de temps historique (Michele Lagny)
- Seeing Holocaust Films
(Kato Mikiro)
- Cinemaphobia in Taisho Japan: Zigomar, Delinquent Boys and Somnambulism
(Hase Masato)
- Madame de Melancholy
(Saito Ayako)
- Die eigenartige Faszination des Regisseurs Naruse Mikio (Susanne Schermann)
- Modernism and Mythicality in the Films of Satyajit Ray (Chidananda Dasgupta)
- Essai sur la peinture moderne et la photographie (Nishizawa Emiko)

Price: 2000 yen, plus postage (variable by region).

Back issues are also available: Number 1 (1987: articles by Kondo Masaki,
Asanuma Keiji, Michel Colin, David Wills, Takeda Kiyoshi, Jacques Aumont,
Iwamoto Kenji, Yamamoto Kikuo, Sato Tadao, Hirano Kyoko); Number 2 (1992:
Dudley Andrew, Jacques Gerstenkorn, Yabu Toru, Nada Hisashi, Susanne
Schermann, Gideon Avivi, Hamaguchi Koichi, Koga Futoshi, Kitano Keisuke);
Number 3 (1994: Marc Vernet, John Belton, Nada Hisashi, A. A. Gerow, Yuji
Oniki, Usami Shozo).

Payment by credit card is preferred (VISA, Master Card, DC), so inform the
JASIAS office of the issues and number of copies desired and a credit card
payment form will be sent. Libraries and institutions interested in
_Iconics_ and _Eizogaku_ (ISSN 0286-0279), the Japanese domestic edition of
the journal of the JASIAS, can order through Japan Publications Trading
(JPT).

Contact: Japan Society of Image Arts and Sciences, c/o Department of Film,
College of Art, Nihon University, 2-42-1 Asahigaoka, Nerima-ku, Tokyo
176-8525, Japan. Fax: 81-3-5995-8209.

Aaron Gerow
Chair, Editorial Board
IconicsDate: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:22:12 -0600

From: [log in to unmask] 'Sarah Baeckler' 28-JAN-1999 13:06:50.00

Just a reminder that the Pacific Northwest Festival of Fictional and
Anthropological Cinema is accepting entries postmarked by February 15.

There are two categories, fictional and anthropological, and we are taking
all lengths and formats. Email for complete details to [log in to unmask] or
call (509) 933 2286

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

From: [log in to unmask] 31-JAN-1999 04:01:44.14

The Graduate Association for Visual Anthropology at Temple University is
sponsoring a day long forum during the American Anthropological Association
meeting in Chicago, Illinois, Saturday, November 20, 1999, 10:00 am -4:00
pm.

Title: Visual Culture: A Future for the Anthropology of Visual
Communication Purpose: A forum for graduate students to present and discuss
their works-in-progress.
The program will be chaired by Irma Preikschat and John Jackson as
representatives of the organizing body, The Graduate Student Association of
Visual Anthropologists (GAVA-T) at Temple University. The Conference
planning committee includes: Kimberly Dukes, Stephanie Takaragawa, Jason
Berman, and Gretchen Leuszler.

Proposals are being solicited from any student engaged in research about
the anthropology of visual communication/visual anthropology. Preference
will be given to those who are either currently engaged in the planning of
a research project or in the analysis of work completed. This event will be
a place where constructive criticism and discussion will be of use to the
researcher. 'A Future for the Anthropology of Visual Communication' seeks
to cultivate a community of young scholars interested in all facets of the
discipline; possible areas to be covered include, but are not exclusive to,
visual and pictorial media, for example photography, ethnographic film,
dance, the body, and the plastic arts. The format of the presentations may
be paper, performance, or video/film clips. As the time is limited and the
organizers wish to give as many people time to present and have discussion,
presentations will be limited to no more than 20 minutes. As this event is
not an official function of the American Anthropological Association,
participants will be able to present their work here and still present
papers at the AAA meetings.

The program, abstracts and papers from the 1998 Futures Conference are
available at http://astro.ocis.temple.edu/~ruby/aaa/.

Please send a presentation proposal with: your name, address, email
(include addresses where we can reach you after July 1), institution
affiliation, title of presentation, 100 word abstract, list of equipment
needed, and required performance space to Futures Conference, Irma
Preikschat via email at [log in to unmask] or surface mail at:
Futures Conference, Irma Preikschat, Temple University, Department of
Anthropology, Gladfelter Hall 2nd. Floor, 11th. And Berks Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19122.
Deadline for submitting proposals is April 15, 1999. Participants whose
work is selected will be notified by July 15, 1999.

The program will be circulated by September 15, 1999.

For further information contact: John Jackson at [log in to unmask]
or Irma Preikschat at [log in to unmask]

Please post on any relevent listservs and send to anyone interested.

JAY RUBY - Temple University - PO Box 128, Mifflintown, PA 17059 USA
fax - 717-436-9559 voice - 717-436-9502

My Web page is http://www.temple.edu/anthro/ruby/jayruby.html

Call for Participation for A Future for the Anthropology of Visual
Communication Conference in Chicago, November 20, 1999 is at
http://nimbus.ocis.temple.edu/~jruby/futures.html

'Of course in this you fellows see more than I could see. You see me'.
Marlowe in Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

From: [log in to unmask] 'Chris Brophy' 3-FEB-1999 00:22:47.68

INFOG99: A CONFERENCE ON THE LATEST DIGITAL DEVELOPMENTS IN SCREEN CULTURE
AND RESEARCH
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Dates: 15-16
July 1999 Venue: Treasury Theatre, Melbourne, Australia

The INFOG99 steering group invite you to submit proposals for papers or
presentations to be considered for inclusion in the 1999 conference
program. Proposals should address the main conference themes listed below.

DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS:
A summary of your proposal (maximum of 200 words) together with a brief
personal resume should be emailed to the INFOG99 steering group by:

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 26th 1999
Please send you proposals to Chris Brophy at the Australian Film Institute
at: [log in to unmask]

MORE ABOUT INFOG99:
INFOG99 (Information Gathering 1999) is an initiative of Australian Film
Institute Research & Information Centre presented in association with
Cinemedia (Victoria), ANSPAG at Monash University and RMIT University
Department of Communication Studies.

MAIN THEMES FOR INFOG99:
1. Access - latest developments in the digital delivery of screen products
and services
2. Strategies and issues for screen education in a digital environment 3.
Who is using the new technology? - the audience factor

International guests at INFOG99 will include: Members of the research team
of the Glasgow University Performing Arts Data
Service (PADS) project, and,
Dr Steven Ricci, Head of Research and Study at the UCLA Film and Television
Archive.
The PADS project, based in the Faculty of Arts at Glasgow University,
collects and promotes the use of digital data resources to support research
and teaching in the performing arts, including film and the broadcast arts
(http://www.pads.ahds.ac.uk).

Dr Steven Ricci directs the UCLA Archive's education, publications and new
media initiatives and is responsible for developing computer applications
to facilitate access to the huge UCLA collection of archival film and
television, which includes the very large Hearst newsreels collection
(http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/archive.html). He is also a specialist in
Italian film history.

Topics to be covered in INFOG99 will include: *developments in delivery and
access systems for digital media
libraries
*electronic screen and broadcasting publications and associated
issues of archiving and plagiarism
*copyright considerations for consumers or creators of electronic
screen products and services
*digital projects/techniques for teaching screen studies at tertiary
and secondary levels, and,
*audience uptake of, and response to, delivery and consumption of
screen products and services in a digital format

A selection of the proceedings from our last conference, INFOG97, can be
viewed on the AFI website at:
http://www.cinemedia.net/AFI/infog97/infog4.htm)

Chris Brophy
Information Services Manager
Australian Film Institute
Tel: 613 9695 7217
Fax: 613 9696 7972
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.afi.org.au

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

From: William Bechtel <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Conference
Announcement: Intentionality and the Natural Mind Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999
09:11:47 -0600 (CST)

Conference Announcement:

Intentionality and the Natural Mind

A Workshop Sponsored by the Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology Program
Washington University in St. Louis
March 19-20, 1999

Friday, March 19

Session I: Intentionality and Neural Representations Speakers:
David van Essen, Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University
Title: 'Translating the neural code: neurons as detectives, not detectors'
Kathleen Akins, Department of Philosophy, Simon Fraser University
Title: 'More than Mere Colouring: The Neural Encoding of Spectral Information'
Discussant:William Bechtel, PNP

Session II: Intentionality and Situated Cognition Speakers:
Lynn Andrea Stein, MIT AI Laboratory
Title: 'Bodily Intentions'
Brian Cantwell Smith, Cognitive Science and Computer Science, Indiana
University
Title: 'Rehabilitating Representation'
Discussant: Andy Clark, PNP

Saturday, March 20

Session III: Intentionality and Mental Imagery Speakers:
Stephen Kosslyn, Department of Psychology, Harvard University
Title: 'Mental Images and the Brain'
Daniel Reisberg, Department of Psychology, Reed College
Title: 'Internal representations, external representations, and the
advantages of 'thinking out loud''
Discussant: Mark Rollins, PNP

Session IV: Intentionality and Concepts
Speakers:
Frank Keil, Department of Psychology, Yale University
Title: 'The End of Science at the Personal Level: Coping with necessary
limits on concepual understanding' Georges Rey, Department of Philosophy,
University of Maryland
Title: 'Philosophical Analysis and Cognitive Psychology' Discussant: Jesse
Prinz, PNP

All sessions will be held Room 216 A&B of the Psychology Building,
Washington University. As space is limited, we request that those not
affiliated with Washington University please register in advance through
Tamara Casanova ([log in to unmask]).

-------

William Bechtel, Professor
Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology Program Department of Philosophy
Washington University in St. Louis
Campus Box 1073
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130-4899

(314) 935-6873 or 6670 (dept.)
Fax: (314) 935-7349
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~wbechtel/

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

If any film lovers/scholars are interested in discussing particularly the
films of Terrence Malick you can subscribe to an email discussion list at:

http://199.117.52.229/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=malick-films

T.G. Rouse

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

***CULTURAL TURN 2: POWER AND MEANING
ELECTRONIC CONFERENCES
February 2-8, 1999

WWW.CULTURALTURN.COM

-Produced by The Cultural Turn, SPEED and University of California, Santa
Barbara.

-The Cultural Turn conferences are bi-annual meetings seeking to explore
and expand the analytic zone shared and contested between the social
sciences and the humanities.

-The Electronic Conferences will extend the reach of interdisciplinary
cultural analysis by incorporating the perspectives of
intellectual communities spread across the globe. Please join us.

***FEATURED PARTICIPANTS:

-Christine Boyer (Architecture, Princeton) -Katherine Hayles (English,
U.C.L.A.)
-Bruce Lincoln (History of Religions, Chicago) -Orlando Patterson
(Sociology, Harvard)
-James Scott (Political Science, Yale)
-Michael Taussig (Anthropology, Columbia)

***OTHER PARTICIPANTS INCLUDE:

-Jeffrey Alexander, Charles Bazerman, David Brain, Ronald Breiger, Craig
Calhoun, Thomas Carlson, Swati Chattopadhyay, Jon Cruz, Avery Gordon, Giles
Gunn, Dick Hebdige, Richard Hecht, Wolf Kittler, Chandra Mukerji, Charles
Perrow, Richard A. Peterson, Maria Pia Lara, Michael Schudson, Margaret
Somers, John Sutton, Ann Swidler, Diane Vaughan, Robin Wagner-Pacifici and
Mayer Zald

***JOIN THE ELECTRONIC CONFERENCE:

-Those who can’t make it to Santa Barbara for the second Cultural Turn
conference are invited to participate in the electronic version of the
conference at www.culturalturn.com

-Authors’ texts are now available at the web site. Linked to each is an
electronic web forum where conferencees from around the world will engage
each other and the problematics of culture signaled by each text.

-There is no charge for joining the Electronic Conferences, and no special
software or internet expertise is required.

-Many new texts are available exclusively to Conferencees. Video and audio
archives of main talks, book seminars, discussion groups and e-panels will
be made available to conferencees.

-The full proceedings, including the electronic conferences, will be
published by SPEED, the award-winning electronic journal of
media technology and social culture.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

The Film Section of the South Atlantic Modern Language Association invites
abstracts for a panel entitled 'Film Reception--Audiences and
Spectatorship'. The SAMLA conference will be held November 4-6, 1999 in

Atlanta. Papers should address film reception by focusing on the
consumption practices of actual audience groups and/or on the theoretical
concept of the implied spectator.

Possible topics include:
--ethnographic studies of film audiences, including methodological problems
and challenges raised by ethnography --issues of gender, sexuality, class,
and race as they affect film reception and consumption
--the 'male gaze' debate and feminist spectatorship theory (Mulvey's
'transvestitism', Mary Ann Doane's concepts of the masquerade and
masochistic identification)
--applications and re-evaluations of identification theory --complications
posed by homosexuality and gender deviance to the psychoanalytic dyad of
identification/desire and to spectatorship theory

in general
--case studies of the influence of film reviews and marketing upon audiences
--reception controversies, such as public protests against a film

Please send an abstract (or completed paper) by APRIL 10, 1999 to:

Kim Chabot Davis
3723 W Street NW
Washington, DC 20007
Email: [log in to unmask]

For further information about the SAMLA convention, see http: //www.samla.org

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Screening Room Electronic Cinemas (of Buffalo) and Digi-Flicks
Entertainment (of Chicago) have formed an alliance to develope the nation's
first electronic / digital cinema network- BEGINNING NOW !!

Electronic Cinemas provide a very LOW COST method of cinema development,
eliminating many of the financial and operational barriers associated with
traditional
theatres.

We are looking for potential cinema operators AND are working directly with
independent movie producers (movie can be on any digital/video/film
source). For more info, please contact:
The Screening Room, INC
3131 Sheridan Dr Century Mall Amherst, NY 14226 (716) 837-0376 E Mail:

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

From: [log in to unmask] 'Lucy Mazdon' 4-FEB-1999 05:40:34.99

Television Talk

Programme and registration details are below. The conference will take
place in Lecture Theatre C of the Avenue Campus at the University of
Southampton.

A One-Day Conference at The University of Southampton, February 13, 1999.
Programme 9.30 Registration 10.15 Introduction 10.30 Talking About the
Nation 'Confessional Talk in Video Nation' (Nicole Matthews, Liverpool John
Moores University) 'Media and Migration: The Case of Albania' (Paolo
Tripodi, Nottingham Trent University) 11.45 Coffee 12.00 The Talkshow Genre
'Myths in the Making: Talk Television, Talk Radio and the Transformation of
Irish Society' (Sara O'Sullivan, University College, Dublin) 'Confessional
Talk on The Oprah Winfrey Show' (Sherryl Wilson, University of the West of
England) 13.15 Lunch (own arrangements) 14.30 Histories of Talk 'Coming
Soon to a Cinema Near You: Film Programmes on 1950s' British Television'
(Susan Holmes, University of Southampton) 'Television and the Construction
of Political and Social Information in France, 1949 - 1959'
(Marie-Francoise Levy, Institut d'histoire du temps present, Evelyne Cohen,
Paris VII) 16.00 Tea 16.15 Discussion (European Media Research Group) 17.15
Conference ends

Registration stlg12 (stlg8 students and unwaged). Please send cheques made
payable to The University of Southampton to: Dr. Lucy Mazdon, School of
Modern Languages, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton, SO17
1DX. Tel: 01703 595435 e-mail: [log in to unmask] If you require a
receipt please enclose an SAE.

The conference is organised by Dr. Lucy Mazdon of the University of
Southampton, Lyn Thomas and Maria Esposito of the University of North
London. It emerges from the foundation of the European Media Research Group.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

From: David Gauntlett <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

I thought you might be interested to know about a popular new website of
resources and reviews, covering media / cultural studies / gender /
sexuality / identity:

http://www.theory.org.uk

The site has attracted media attention and has been visited by over 4,000
different people in the four weeks since its launch.

The site should be worth a visit if you have interests in any of the following:

* Cultural studies
* Media influences
* Gender & sexuality
* Use of the internet in teaching, learning
and communication
* Michel Foucault
* Queer theory, Judith Butler
* Adorno, Gramsci
* 'Role models', identity

As well as information resources and links, the site has an ever-growing
number of book reviews, plus our much celebrated interactive multimedia
critical theory QUIZ!

It would be great if you would visit this site, and if you like it,
recommend it to students, friends and webmasters.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Dr David Gauntlett
Institute of Communications Studies
University of Leeds

[Any feedback about this website is very welcome]

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

you to join the Asian Cinema Studies Society.

We are an international group of academicians, scholars, filmmakers and
filmenthusiasts etc who have come together to give voice to an interest in
Asian Cinema. We raise and discuss issues pertinent to the same through our
journal and at the conferences that we host. We are very interested in
maintaining the mix of filmmakers and scholars and so far have succeeded in
doing so. We sponsor a journal _Asian Cinema_ and invite you to send in
articles, film/bookreviews etc for consideration for publication in the
journal and films/videos for screening at the conference.

We invite you to visit the last conference website @
http://www.trentu.ca/academic/cultstudies/cinema97/ and
http://www.trentu.ca/academic/cultstudies/cinema97/inbrief.shtml

The 1999 conference is scheduled in November at the University of NSW,
Kensington, NSW, Australia. Please visit the conference website @
http://www.unsw.Edu.au/50th/asiancinema/

The 1999 price structure has been raised from earlier years with Institutions
paying $35; Individual members paying $25 and Students/Part-time employed
paying $10. Members outside the U.S.A. please add an additional $5 for
shipping.

Membership of the Asian Cinema Studies Society entitles each member to the
biannual issues of the journal _Asian Cinema_ and an opportunity to meet
other members
and share work at the annual conference. Membership can be initiated at any
point and each new member will receive the subsequent two issues of the
journal. Back issues of the journal are also available for purchase.

All correspondence should be addressed to: Asian Cinema Studies Society
c/o Uma Magal
303 Pemberton Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147, USA
email<[log in to unmask]>
All checks should be made payable to:
Asian Cinema Studies Society
c/o John Lent

Please contact me for any other information that you might require. Sincerely,
Uma Magal

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

From: Wendy B Perkins <[log in to unmask]>

I am putting together a panel for the upcoming International Popular
Culture Conference at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, August 1-7, 1999.
Papers exploring any aspect of cinematic adaptations of literary works are
welcome.

Please submit a 250 wd abstract by March 30 to

Wendy Perkins
105 Hickory Lane
Annapolis, MD 21403

or

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

From: Alex Adriaansens <[log in to unmask]>

Audiovisions
Cinema and Television as Entr'actes in History

By Siegfried Zielinski

november 1998, isbn 90 5356 303 2, 16 x 24 cm, hardback, illustrated, ca 275
pages, Fl. 69,95 / 1395 bfr

november 1998, isbn 90 5356 313 x, 16 x 24 cm, paperback, illustrated, ca 275
pages, Fl. 39,50 / 790 bfr

Amsterdam University Press - Prinsengracht 747 -751 - 1017 JX Amsterdam.
Tel: +31-10-4200050 fax: 4203214. email: [log in to unmask]

check: http://www.uva.nl/aup/aup.html

The production, distribution, and perception of moving images are
undergoing a radical transformation. Ever-faster computers, digital
technology, and microelectronic are joining forces to produce advanced
audiovision -the media vanishing point of the 20th century. Very little
will remain unchanged.

The classic institutions for the mediation of film - cinema and television
- are revealed to be no more than interludes in the broader history of the
audiovisual media. This book interprets these changes not simply as a
cultural loss but also as a challenge: the new audiovisions have to be
confronted squarely to make strategic intervention possible.

Audiovisions provides a historical underpinning for this active approach.
Spanning 100 years, from the end of the 19th to the end of the 20th
century, it reconstructs the complex genesis of cinema and television as
historically relative - and thus finite - cultural forms, focussing on the
dynamics and tension in the interaction between the apparatus and its uses.
The book is also a plea for 'staying power' in studies of cultural
technology and technological culture of film.

Essayistic in style, it dispenses with complicated cross references and,
instead, is structured around distinct historical phases. Montages of
images and text provide supplemental information, contrast, and comment.

Siegfried Zielinski is founding director of the Academy of Media Arts in
Cologne, Germany and Professor of Media and Communication Studies. He is a
member of European Film Academy (EFA), the British Film Institute and the
Magic Lantern Society of Grat Britain.

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 10:30:43 +0200
From: MEET Factory <[log in to unmask]> Subject: ANNOUNCE: 'Conversations
with Angels' Book + CDrom

'CONVERSATIONS WITH ANGELS', THE WORLD'S FIRST INTERACTIVE NARRATIVE SET
WITHIN A 3D MULTIUSER VIRTUAL WORLD ON THE INTERNET IS NOW RELEASED AS A
PICTURE BOOK AND CD ROM!

Flirt with Princess Anne, the sensual lesbian who grows plants! Dare you
dive into Fat Bob's pool? Can you get out of Carl's room alive? What about
the kids, for ever having a party, dude! Yes, MEET Factory's 'Conversations
with Angels' is something totally new on the Net - a fully interactive
multiuser narrative - provocative, funny, cutting edge media! Get online
with these wild and wicked characters. If you don't laugh they'll make you
cry! As Anne would say: 'I love the culture of victimhood'

Modelled in VRML, the Web standard for 3D graphics, and with specially
created textures and audio, 'Conversations with Angels' is visually and
technically superb. MEET Factory's avatar and character design is second to
none, with a string of international awards already under their belt. Now
at last their worlds are available to the digitally challenged in picture
book form - pocket sized, perfect for beach or boardroom.

Don't waste time - experience 'Conversations with Angels' for yourself at

http://meetfactory.com

For more information or to order a review copy of the book please contact

'With Conversations with Angels we see the birth of a new art form for this
and the next century'
- Bruce Damer, author 'Avatars, Exploring and building virtual worlds on
the Internet'

'Conversations with Angels is an important contribution to the rethinking
of representation and aesthetic possibilities in the virtual realm'.
- Steve Kurtz, Critical Art Ensemble

'I beg your pardon..?!'
- Super Activo, Saviour of the Universe

'Conversations with Angels' is created and produced by MEET Factory (Media
artists Andy Best & Merja Puustinen) in collaboration with the Banff Centre
for the Arts (http://www.banff.org) and Kiasma (http://www.kiasma.fng.fi)

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

From: Patricia Trutty-Coohill <[log in to unmask]>

CALL FOR PAPERS

FIFTH ANNUAL MEETING

AMERICAN SOCIETY OF PHENOMENOLOGY
AESTHETICS & THE FINE ARTS

l6-l8 April 1999

Harvard Divinity School
Cambridge, Massachusetts

The Theater of Life on the Stage of the World: Theatrum Mundi in
Literature, Drama, Poetry, Music, Opera, Fine Arts, Aesthetics, Philosophy,
Architecture & Landscape Gardens

I. ALL THE WORLD IS THE STAGE: festivities and celebrations; the visual
language of all the arts dominated by that of theater; ritual and masks;
mirror reflections; unity in diversity on stage or in celebrations created
by the symbiosis of all the arts.

II. IDEAS OF WORLD HARMONY: Democritus: the essence and the happiness of
mankind consists in harmony; Pythagorean cosmology: the harmonious
combination of four elements; the microscopic soul of man and the gran
teatro del mundo; How can the world soul (a religious concept), the
regulation of the cosmos (a concept of physics), world harmony (a musical
concept) and the soul of man (a psychological concept) be fused?

III. THE GLORIFICATION OF MUSIC BY MUSIC; THE GLORIFICATION OF MUSIC BY ALL
THE ARTS: synaesthesia; echo poetry. How can music express the inner depths
of human and cosmic nature? Hymns echoing the music of the universe.

IV. LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE: Gardens: Mirrors of Infinity; William Chambers:
The Gardeners are not only Botanists but also Painters and Philosophers;
the relationship of gardens with philosophy in the East and/or West; the
infinite roof the sky that encompasses the gran teatro del mundo and its
connection with the microcosmic soul of man.

V. THE MICROCOSM REFLECTING THE MACROCOSM: landscape architecture,
sculptures, fountains, architecture, music, myth, masks, etc.; a mythical
universe.

VI. A ROUND TABLE ON A. T. TYMINIECKA, LOGOS AND LIFE, CREATIVE EXPERIENCE&
THE CRITIQUE OF REASON, Book 1, Analecta Husserliana, 1988:
The Primary Conditions of Human Existence.

Abstracts by 15 February; papers by 15 March. Send to

Professor Marlies Kronegger, President of ASPAFA Old Horticulture Bldg 313,
Michigan State University East Lansing, Michigan 48824 - 1112 U. S. A.. FAX
517 - 432 - 3844. kronegge @ pilot. msu. edu

To subscribe to H-NEXA
the Science-Humanities Convergence Forum supported since 1994 by the (U.S.)
National Endowment for the Humanities and serviced under auspices of H-Net,
Michigan State University point to <http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~nexa> or
write to co-editor Katherine Branstetter Maya ethnolinguist at

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0