SIMSOC  March 2020

SIMSOC March 2020

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: How can disease models be made useful?

"Penn, Alan" <[log in to unmask]>

Penn, Alan

Fri, 20 Mar 2020 16:20:27 +0000

text/plain

There are about 4000 ICU beds in England, the plan is to provide about 15000 (I think). What is ICU? It is a nursing/medical team that has the training to handle very poorly people plus the key equipment  such as the ventilator and monitors and an oxygen supply. The whole aim of the modelling is to implement social distancing and behaviour changes that can help reduce the peak ICU demand below that kind of number.  This will be done by stretching the epidemic curve over a longer time. Meanwhile people are working very hard to test antivirals to help treat people, and to develop a vaccine - but that takes a longer time because of the need for human testing. The ICU number is difficult to achieve mainly on account of staff, given that many will themselves get ill. Factories are being  retooled to build ventilators. We have about 12 weeks to go before the peak.

If you need hospitalisation you will be isolated from the rest of the population in any event. If you need ICU and do not get it you may well die. The higher estimates you may have seen in the press on possible mortality numbers are based on a ‘do nothing’ scenario in which the epidemic peaks rapidly and completely swamps the number of ICU available - the Italy experience.

Alan