PHD-DESIGN  January 2018

PHD-DESIGN January 2018

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Help needed: question about the history of sketching?

Alma Hoffmann <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:56:08 -0600

text/plain

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the detailed reply!
Very much appreciate it.

I used to teach in Chicago. I taught at Wheaton College and Harrington College of Design. I loved it.
I also used to be a member of the STA (Society of Typographic Arts) and met a lot of great people there. Maybe we have some people in common? Jack Weiss, Joseph Michael Essex?

You mentioned that it may not be worthwhile to spend time on the history of sketching? I understand the concern but it is something I would like to learn about. Both personally and for the purposes of the book I am writing. There is a chapter on it. I realize it may not need to be lengthy but I believe that understanding the foundation of something does help with its practice. I mean this is partly why we know art history and its beginnings. It helps us remember that visual abstractions are an important part of our mental processes and it helps establish precedent, especially for skeptics who may devalue the importance of the study of art and design.

The other question you asked was about my audience. The book is intended, after much conversation with my publisher, for professors and yes students too. I believe that while some may not be as interested, there will be some who will want to learn the theory and context of why we sketch. I find it fascinating that students, especially beginning students, sketch for pleasure or doodle as a way to think on their own or just because. But, often, not always, but often they resist sketching for a project in class or an assignment wanting to skip the preparatory process to jump in the computer and come up with something. I have found that if I take time to explain why this is important and sometimes add a bit of historical information, they are less resistant. They still groan but they do it less.

I came to design later in life. I had been a Jr. High School educator for 5 years. I was, of course, behind, on the design curve. Very behind. Moreover, computer programs were a foreign land to me. Talking to the computer became a favorite thing to do. But two things I understood from the get go, research and sketching. It made sense to me. I could research and sketch and sketch. I started to understand the nuances and the intangibles of design. Critiques did not help as much. It was that process of sketching something in many ways that helped me grow in my understanding. But even back then I wondered how did this come about? What if anything, does cave paintings have to do with sketching as a thinking tool, a playground, a sandbox if you will, for designers. Since then I carry a notebook everywhere I go. I am digressing perhaps.

I have accumulated some information about sketching as a thinking tool but not enough on its evolution and history. So, I was hoping to find some directions and I have thanks to you and everybody else. I had learned about the myth of the maiden who wished to keep a trace of her lover before he went to war. And I had also learned about the influence of ship building in the development of sculptured surfaces drawings or lines curving simultaneously in two directions. This piece of information is what got me thinking that the history of sketching as a problem solving tool was probably richer than we suspect. Add to that, the influence of math and science graphs, dance notation, music notation, and I think there is an interesting case to be made for sketching beyond design, for sketching as a tool to see and observe and be taught as Jonathan Fish and Nigel Cross state in their writings.

In short this is partly why I am interested in the history. :-) Thank you for the resources and the discussion. :-)

Alma

Alma Hoffmann

Assistant Professor
VAB 348