Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Realist informed research

Sam Porter <[log in to unmask]>

Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards" <[log in to unmask]>, Sam Porter <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 Mar 2017 07:32:00 +0000

text/plain

I agree Gill,

I think that if we look at Pawson and Tilley’s stuff in comparison to Bhaskar’s early  ‘Realist theory of science’ and set to one side the narcissism of small differences, we can see fundamental commonalities in relation to their celebration of the effectiveness of scientific method and their rejection of the notion of causation as simply one damn thing after another. Both realisms are depth realisms in that they refer to the reality of underlying generative mechanisms that in their various combinations cause events to occur.

While this sort of realism is ‘critical’ in the Kantian sense (it’s asking Kant’s transcendental question of what must exist for things to happen in the way that they are seen to), critical realism (as opposed to depth realism) didn’t really get going until Bhaskar turned his attention from natural to social sciences in 'The possibility of naturalism’. If I remember right, it was at this point that Bhaskar adopted the term critical realism, ‘critical’ being used in a similar way to the way the Frankfurt School of critical theorists used it – it involves critical analysis of social mechanisms for the purpose of understanding how they either promote or inhibit human needs. This is where the values issue that Gill refers to comes in, with Pawson and Tilley being loath to move in this direction because they regard it as compromising scientific neutrality.

I think there are a couple of other major differences between critical realism and realist evaluation that have important methodological consequences. The first relates to how social mechanisms are conceived. Pawson and Tilley regard them as a combination of reasons and resources, whereas critical realists, and especially Margaret Archer, argue strongly that reasons and resources have to be separated – that you have to treat the social structures that enable and constrain human action separately from the people who experience them. Where you come down on this issue will have significant consequences for the focus of your research.

While I am with Archer on the explanatory confusion that results from eliding social structures with human agency, I would take Pawson and Tilley’s side in the second difference. In ‘the possibility of naturalism’, Bhaskar was very sceptical about the possibility of social sciences ever being able to generate the sort of predictive knowledge that the natural sciences can (a predictive knowledge that depth realists see as identification of tendencies rather than constant conjunctions). He argued that while the experimental method in natural science can effect closure so that the powers of specific natural mechanisms can be examined, because the social world is intractably open, social science cannot progress much beyond post hoc  explanation. I think that the major contribution of realist evaluation is that it has shown how it is possible for social science to identify how things will tend to occur in the future in certain given circumstances.

So, to go back to Gill’s point about the philosophical positions and the uses to which they are put, while there are significant differences in the philosophies here, in practical terms it is possible to combine their insights in practice by, for example, performing a realist evaluation designed to identify future tendencies (Pawson and Tilley) that analytically separates the mechanisms contained in the intervention and the context from people’s responses to those mechanisms (Archer), and interrogates the experiential consequences of the intervention on those affected by it (Bhaskar).

Best wishes, Sam

Sam Porter
Professor of Nursing Sociology
Head of Department of Social Sciences and Social Work
Bournemouth University