PHD-DESIGN  November 2015

PHD-DESIGN November 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Composing Conferences: New special issue of Constructivist Foundations

Peter Jones | Redesign <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 22 Nov 2015 10:44:29 -0500

text/plain

Ben - I just saw this special issue show up in the Constructivist journal email. Scanning through several of the articles, it’s a timely theme, and so many useful insights and contributions from the (well known) contributors. The discussion follows the Research through Design conference in particular, which I don't know well as an event.

I can say these very issues and conversations are raised in the planning and choices for our 150-200 person RSD event, held in Oslo and then Banff this year.  http://systemic-design.net/  With Harold Nelson as one of our founders and planners, he's inspired our team to propose forms of dialogic engagement within the conference to create opportunities for shared inquiry.  We've experimented every year with different arrangements of knowledge and story sharing, paper presentation and discussion management, and plenary approaches.  I can't say we've perfected the process, but we plan, review "do" and debrief with a second-order mindset.

One of the inspirations for the constructivist approach to convening intellectual meetings emerged as the observation that the breaks and discussion periods were experienced as among the most fruitful engagements. The assumption seems to be that this unplanned space allowed for a serendipitous emergence of something new among participants. This very observation at a 1982 organizational development conference is what led Harrison Owen to propose a "conference of coffee breaks" known as Open Space. One of my OD colleagues was at that meeting and remembers that was exactly how it happened, and Harrison has done Open Space ever since. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Space_Technology   (Good OST is as constructivist as it gets)

I've participated in a self-organized conference called The Overlap on and off since 2007, and that might be a good example of a successful, radically "semi-structured" meeting. Its limited to 50 people interested in a theme, meeting in a circle, for two days, with a lightweight structure and self-organizing activities.  I haven't yet seen a good "radically constructive" academic conference yet, but I have attended many self-organized workshops, some good, some experienced as disorganized perhaps. Once you entertain a group larger than 50 or so, it seems that the multiple purposes that draw people to conferences cannot all be met with an open format. People with research to share want an audience and feedback. Academics want breaking insights. Practitioners want methods and approaches tested by research they might lead in projects. People come for the keynote talks, and to meet with each other (on breaks and dinners, ...). And there are always a good percentage of new people who don't share the concepts in language. RSD considers all these interests and tries to balance them. But we do feel we fall short on the space for open dialogue, as the time allocation just isn't supportable when we are also committed to paper sessions.

You and I have also met and delivered talks at ISSS http://isss.org , and I think these are among the more open conferences to changing formats and delivery modes. I'd be interested in your observations regarding these points and your suggestions for design conferences perhaps, whether any general principles are emerging for you after coordinating the essays and proposals in the special issue.

Best, Peter

PETER JONES, PH.D.
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
OCAD UNIVERSITY