PHD-DESIGN November 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Tribute Signatures

Stephen Matthew Wisniew <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:56:00 -0500

text/plain

Dear Team,
 I am disturbed that students feel they do not have a voice to air their
concerns at their universities. We have several policies and organizations
within the Army that deal with issues of this nature. We have an
investigator general and equal opportunity programs that help to form a
dialogue about issues of perceived or real abuse from within the ranks. I
assume that universities also have these programs. My recommendation, and
that which I have trained for so long in, is to first address the issue at
the lowest level; face to face and in person, and then when unable to make
headway, then seek the various university resources that are there to serve
the best interests of students and professors. No doubt, this is tough
stuff to deal with. Some people are just unapproachable or seem to be, or
they were brought up in the same system you are in, or this is how business
as usual is conducted. Those who feel harmed or abused have to find the
courage to address these issues, and have faith that the university will
listen and not abandon them. Absolutely report violations of university
honor codes or ethical standards, as I think this topic falls into those
areas. This can seem like a huge risk. I realize these are real concerns
for certain graduate students who are in a foreign university working for
their advisers and perhaps not knowing what to do or worried about keeping
their visa or finishing the program. The fear of retaliation cannot be
overlooked. These are hard choices indeed, but ultimately, I recommend to
meet it head on and address it by name and in person--but act.
Confidentiality is always an important consideration, but understand that
there are some limitations and certain reporting doesn't allow for it. At
least in U.S. we have whistle blower protections against fraud, waste, and
abuse and I am sure our universities have a legal office or somewhere for
students and the administration to deal with these issues. As an example, I
just looked up the SUNY Canton, New York and they have a SUNY System Fraud
Policy with procedures and broad definitions of fraud and it also addresses
the confidentiality portions (
http://system.suny.edu/compliance/fraud-reporting/fraud-policy/#sunyresources).
UCSD, from my home town, has a policy on this as well:
http://adminrecords.ucsd.edu/Notices/2014/2014-6-26-1.html . I empathize
with those who are struggling now and hope that you can educate yourself on
how to address the situation in productive way.

Sincerely,
Stephen Matthew.

*Stephen Matthew. WISNIEW*
*Transitioning Army Officer*
*Design Consulting and Design Innovation*
www.stephenmatthewdesign.com  <http://www.stephenmatthewdesign.com/>