PHD-DESIGN  November 2013

PHD-DESIGN November 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Footnotes: Commentary, Voice, and Reference

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:21:00 +0000

text/plain

Dear Gunnar, Don, and All,

From last week’s thread, I thought a few more words on footnotes might be useful. The matter of footnotes is more than a matter of technology. Nevertheless, understanding the technology of footnotes in different eras will clarify the fact that technological evolution and change did not drive the evolution or form of footnotes.

Footnotes and other forms of reference serve important purposes. These are not mythic customs of a quasi-religious nature, but useful tools in research communication.

First, let me address the issues that came up here regarding technology. While I appreciate the intention of Gunnar’s two comments on footnotes, I am going to take mild exception to his comments on the technology of the hand-set letterpress footnote [1, below]. I will also comment on the second note with respect to voices. I agree on the concept of multiple voices, but I think a key nuance on referencing needs clarification [2, below].

Terry’s description with respect to hammering footnotes in would, as stated, lead to a physical disaster. But even were it generally possible in the way that Gunnar rephrased it, it is not plausible. Authors did not manage footnotes this way in the letterpress era [see 1].

Authors delivered a complete manuscript to a publisher or printer. The manuscript included the material to appear in the footnotes. Authors did amend the text when editing and proofreading the typeset manuscript – they did not generally add footnotes at that stage. Whether or not a page had wide margins with room for added notes, most authors prepared their notes at the time of writing.

A review of footnote practices shows that even wide margins or space at the bottom of a page would not generally have been enough for serious annotation of the kind that accompanied a manuscript. Many footnotes required too much space. And the space used at the sides, top, and bottom of a printed page was generally uniform. Letterpress typesetting placed footnotes within the printing space. When a page had no footnotes, the printer filled the available space with ordinary narrative text. There was no leftover space for type to be set as an afterthought.

It may sometimes have been technically possible to insert brief footnotes to typeset manuscripts in fields that used short notes and citations. Short citations are common in fields typified by well-established discourse communities in which everyone knows the text well. This is common for Biblical references in theology – for example, 1 Kings 14:10 or 1 Kings 14:10 KJV. Another case is references to Shakespeare – Henry V, IV, 3, lines 112-119. Legal research developed in a similar way. Much of this had to do with the basis of law in precedent that requires reference to court reports or in codified law and legislative documents. Most law offices required a law library, and aspiring lawyers worked for lawyers or judges in the days before law schools, learning to practice law by clerking and by reading law. Like Bible references, law citations have a common short form. American examples are, for instance: U.S. CONST. art. VI, §2; 103 S. Ct. 2017 (1983); Fed. R. Civ. P. 56 (c); British examples are: Pepper v Hart [1993] AC 593 (HL) or R (Roberts) v Parole Board [2004] EWCA Civ 1031, [2005] QB 410; and Scottish examples are: Hughes v Stewart 1907 SC 791; or Corcoran v HM Advocate 1932 JC 42.

Law journals also use short-form citations -- 97 Harv. L. Rev 4 (1983); 17 Yale J.L. & Human. 18 2005. These kinds of references refer to common sources in the sense that all members of a community know and use them, and where they do not use them, the form of the reference instructs potential readers on how to find and use them.

The situation is different in broader fields of scholarship or references to a text that we cannot assume to be common. It is also different in fields where an author recognizes that the document may speak to scholars from other communities.

Most important, the situation is different for classical footnotes in which description, discussion, and commentary are likely to accompany the reference citation. This was frequent in early books, particularly in fields such as philosophy, theology, philology, history, or classics. Footnotes formed a significant part of the scholarly apparatus in these books. Scholars prepared their notes with the main text, and printers set the footnotes at the same time they set the book. This was not an afterthought and it did not arise from a technological workaround design to account for afterthoughts.

To get an idea of what footnotes would once have entailed and how carefully planned they would have been, see Henri de Lubac’s (1998, 2000, 2009) three-volume masterpiece on medieval exegesis. (You can use the preview function on Amazon books to see a few sample pages of de Lubac.)

One of the most famous examples of an author using footnotes is that of Edward Gibbon’s (1906) Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, from the second volume on. Gibbon used endnotes in the first edition of the first volume, moving them to a place of prominence afterward. As well as making the sources clear for those who wished to read them, Gibbon’s footnotes served as a counterpoint to the main narrative. To me, Gibbon’s notes serve several functions – carrying Gibbon’s personal voice beneath the text while the main narrative carries the magisterial voice of an historian. Without wishing to stretch a metaphor too far, the masterful use of footnotes can resemble the bass line on the foot pedals of an organ.

If you haven’t read Gibbon, you can see how this works by downloading a volume of Gibbon’s Decline and Fall in PDF format, reproduced from an edition of the early 1900s –

http://oll.libertyfund.org/?option=com_staticxt&staticfile=show.php%3Fperson=4084&Itemid=28

Properly used, footnotes open a world of information to the reader. Before going further, I should note that I am not suggesting people move to footnotes or use footnotes. I’m simply pointing to their virtues and possibilities with respect to voice and commentary. There are many ways to manage reference and citation, an issue I will address in another post.

To read a masterful contemporary use of footnotes, I’d suggest reading Robert Cover’s (1983) “Nomos and Narrative.” Cover links and bridges multiple traditions – from Peter Berger and Michael Polanyi to the Oresteia and the Mishnah, not to mention Clifford Geertz and Martin Heidegger. I’ve posted Cover’s masterpiece of legal and cultural hermeneutics to my Academia page along with the professorial at URL:

http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman

While footnotes have many uses, the essential use of footnotes or other systems is that of referencing the evidence that we use to support an argument. Gertrude Himmelfarb (1991) wrote a fascinating essay in the New York Times about the uses and value of footnotes.

“… the rules governing footnotes (that there would be footnotes goes without question) are a warrant, if not of righteousness, then of accountability. They are meant to permit the reader - the scholarly as well as the lay reader - to check the author’s sources, facts, inferences, and generalizations, and to do so as easily as possible. This is the rationale for the seemingly arbitrary rules; in prescribing the exact form and sequence in which the required data are to be communicated, they make it more likely that the data will be fully and accurately communicated and that lapses will be readily discerned.

“This is why an annotated bibliography at the end of the book or each chapter is no substitute for footnotes; they attest to the author’s erudition but do not provide the means of verifying specific quotations or assertions. It is also why endnotes are less satisfactory than footnotes; remote from the text, the citations are apt to be less precise and less pertinent.

“Even the most zealous footnoter would concede that footnotes are only a partial guarantee of integrity and accountability. They make it possible to determine whether a quotation has been accurately transcribed and whether the source contains the facts attributed to it, but not whether the quotation or source is itself accurate, adequate, or relevant. They do, however, make it easier for a diligent reader to judge its accuracy, adequacy, and relevance. And they make it a little harder for authors (not impossible, authors being notably ingenious and not notably scrupulous) to distort the sources or deviate too far from them. If they do not quite put the fear of God in scholars, they do make them more fearful than they might otherwise be of colleagues so inconsiderate and untrusting as to check their citations and actually read their sources.”

Been thinking on this for a couple days – let me post this and return later with the rest of my thoughts.

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | University Distinguished Professor | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | Mobile +61 404 830 462 | Home Page http://www.swinburne.edu.au/design/people/Professor-Ken-Friedman-ID22.html<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/design>    Academia Page http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman About Me Page http://about.me/ken_friedman

Guest Professor | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China