PHD-DESIGN  August 2007

PHD-DESIGN August 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: PHD-DESIGN Digest - 3 Aug 2007 to 4 Aug 2007 (#2007-179)

Victor Margolin <[log in to unmask]>

Victor Margolin <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Aug 2007 18:41:56 -0700

text/plain

Dear Ken:
Thank you for your post. After almost thirty years in the field of
design history and design research I am probably as well aware as
anyone that studies of designed objects and their effects are being
done outside of design. In fact Donald Norman, now known to many
design researchers came from HCI and made a big splash with his
contention that many products are badly designed. His subsequent work
on computers and other products has also been useful. I can cite also
Paul Atkinson's studies of computer technology and its history
published in Design Issues and the Journal of Design History. Paul
and others have raised interesting questions about why developments
in a particular technology went a certain way.
	I don't remember ever hearing anyone enunciate that the study
of the design process was the central core of design research.
Perhaps you could trace the origin of that assumption for me. Many
years ago when Bruce Archer made his taxonomy of topics for design
research, design process was only one of them. I am also not clear
how some of the studies of the design process that we read about help
designers. Can we really say that the work of Donald Schon has
changed the way designers work? And who else's work has changed the
way designers work. I'm sure some has but I don't see that the kinds
of studies I know about are as closely allied to changes in practice
as you seem to be suggesting.
	At the design research conferences I have been to, there are
rarely any papers on products and their social consequences,
particularly papers that critique designs, particularly more complex
ones like computer systems, the web, trains, cars, transport systems.
These are the kinds of papers that lead to social change. In fact,
products hit the market with very little critique except for off line
grumbling. I would like to see more discussion of this kind of work
on this list. There has been little so far. Also, there are intense
discussions going on about the ongoing design of the worldwide web
from the point of view of software integration, capabilities, social
interactions. This is a huge topic. Why don't we see more of it on
our list? I will stand by my original contention that design
researchers, at least the ones within the fold of this list, have
pretty much ignored research on products and their effects. In fact,
it is reasonable to assume that they would have a better insight into
the products themselves as they discuss their consequences than
social scientists for whom the artifacts may be simply means to
social change. More comments welcome.
Victor Margolin