ENVIROETHICS  2002

ENVIROETHICS 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: benefit/cost was Re: Lomborg, was Re: Patrick Moore

Ray Lanier <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Sun, 26 May 2002 12:11:20 -0400

text/plain

Hello Steve,

Sorry to be so late replying but I have been away.  This will be a little
long because it appears that many do not know how public analysis is and can
be done.  In the following I will try to explain my position more clearly.
I hope to be at least somewhat successful.  IMHO is applied
implicitly/explicitly to everything below.  Forgive me if I think that I am
right! :-)

It is *not* necessary for the analyst of public issues to determine, or find
some method to reflect, private information such as the individual value set
or preference function.

The problem with, for example, analysis of water resource projects is to
identify the problem(s) and the conflict set related to those problems.
With that information, the analyst looks at the several alternative
proposals to determine how they each will impact the particular conflict
sets.  When provided with the information about alternatives and their
impacts, the individuals separately and collectively apply their values by
supporting or opposing any or all alternatives proposed.  Since public
projects result from political decisions, the separate public positions are
reconciled in the political arena.  That is why it is said that "politics is
the allocation of values."

Take a real world problem: the management of flow in the lower  Missouri
River which has been newsworthy in the US recently.  For years that river
has been dammed, controlled for, among other purposes, flood control and
navigation.  Consideration is being given to changes in the rules by which
the dam operators control the flow from the upstream reservoirs.

Two problems to begin with:  1)  Upstream states, South Dakota, etc. want
the reservoirs operated to maintain water levels during the lucrative
recreation season.  2)  Navigation interests downstream want them operated
to preserve navigable river levels.  A couple of associated problems:  3)
farmers downstream operating in the flood plane would be flooded by some
scenarios during farm season.  4)  different scenarios have different
effects, some positive and some negative on riverine habitat and thus
wildlife.

The analysts hold public meetings throughout the region to give the public
information technical aspects and solicit public input on defining the
several problems (including those not readily seen by analysts) and
interests.  Those meeting are held at intervals throughout the study and at
the draft stage.  Based on the information expressed relevant to the
particular problem, individuals can draw their own conclusions and pressure
their representatives to support particular choices.  The market oriented
b/c is important but greatly insufficient for public political choice.
Ultimately, the politicians will decide.  No doubt, in some (many?) cases,
the politician will incorporate information/biases not immediately relevant
to the particular project under study.  That's politics!  The old days when
a simple ratio of b/c was all that was necessary made life very simple for
politicians.  All they need was a favorable ratio and if the project was
important politically for them they would apply pressure to get one.  Now
they should and must be required to take a serious look at the different
interests - representing different values - and more truly weigh conflicting
interests and values.  IMHO.

At no time is it necessary to define individual preference functions.  In a
democratic society (ideally) we give the individual the information they say
they need and they excercise their own individual preferences whether
revealed or not.

This particular project has some small but interesting political
implications nationally and even perhaps internationally.  Senator Daschel,
Democratic majority leader of the US Senate is from South Dakota which wants
one type of regualtion;  Senator Lott, Republican and minority leader of the
Senate represents a downstream state which tends to support another.
President Bush, Republican, supports a Republican for the South Dakota
Senate seat to be voted on this fall.  Daschel, of course, supports the
Democrat contender.  Well, there appear to be many political axes in play
for this mid-term election in 2002 and for the Presidential election in
2004.

I am long familiar with the literature to which you refer.  In my view and
experience it is not applicable to the issue represented above.

Ray