MEDLIB-L summary October 16-17, 2000

Silvia Patrick <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:58:03 -0700 (PDT)

TEXT/PLAIN

If you subscribe to MEDLIB-L delete now. Or continue reading and let
me know if I should have included some other messages, or skipped some.
MEDLIB-L October 16-17, 2000

Contents:
1.   Size of the World Wide Web--a new estimate
2.   Ref Q: Operating Room Design [Q with 1 answer; US based but makes a
     good point about books -SCP ]
3.   European version of MEDLINE - SUMMARIES
4.  ?: Psychiatric hospitals in the UK [Question]
5. [Hearing loss] New Clinical Advisory on NLM Clinical Alerts Page
6. Evidence-Based Medicine web-based course [Friday deadline for
   subscribing]
7. origin of quote "never trust anyone over 30" [for the 60s-nostalgic]

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:40:36 -0500
From: "Kennedy, Joy" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Size of the World Wide Web--a new estimate

I've used various figures in the past about the size of the internet and
was happy to see these estimates updated.  For those of you who might want
to quote the size of the web, you might want to save this.  I apologize to
those of you who got this announcement from OCLC already but thought it
worth sharing with all since so many of us do web training in our
institutions.

"In their annual review of the World Wide Web,
researchers at [OCLC's]
CLC have determined that the Web now contains
about 7 million unique sites; that the public
Web--sites that offer content that is freely
accessible by the general public--constitutes
about 40 percent of the total Web; and that
the Web continues to expand at a rapid pace,
but its rate of growth is diminishing over time.

According to the group's latest estimates, there
were 7.1 million unique web sites, a 50 percent
increase over the previous year's total of 4.7
million.  Although the number of web sites has
nearly tripled in size in the last two years,
year-to-year growth rates are declining, falling
from almost 80 percent between 1998 and 1999,
to only about 50 percent between 1999 and 2000."

More information can be found at http://wcp.oclc.org.
Joy
Joy Kennedy, MLS
Health Resource Library