Re: Evidence of what?

Ranjan MP <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 3 Feb 2008 22:45:12 +0530

text/plain

Dear Friends

I agree with Michael. In design the "Evidence" of the kind that would be
found embedded in the "Artefact" would have many meanings, each one that
corresponds to a particular point of view that is held by the
researcher. One position is influenced by the very nature of design and
its layers of influencing factors. Design influences can be felt and
measured across many layers from the material and aesthetic to the
technical, economic and the social and the political levels and we will
also need to factor in the systems levels of ecology and spirituality
before we complete our analysis of any given situation or product
completely.

I have been using a model to explain this for my students and I call
this the "Iceberg Factor" in design, with a few visible and measurable
attributes as seen in the "Artefact" and a huge layer of intangible and
invisible attributes that would represent the intentions and the value
that the particular event, product or service could or would provide. I
have shared this model in the context of the debate about to
introduction of the world's cheapest car, the Tata Nano, that was
unveiled at the Indian Auto fair in New Delhi last month by Ratan Tata.
I have shown this model in my blog post at this link below:
<http://www.design-for-india.blogspot.com/2008/01/tatas-one-lakh-car-systems-failure-on.html>

In another situation when we studied the bamboo crafts of the
Northeastern States of India in the late 70's and early 80's we
collected as many as 400 baskets, all different, from the field work
that extended over a region that included seven states of the region and
from as many as 50 different tribes and communities who lived there. Our
analysis of the these products was done in order to understand the
basket in the context of material properties of the bamboo used as well
as the form and structure as appreciated by the local mind, a sort of
traditional wisdom study, that would give us a basis to use the material
for our intentions which were to bring development to the region
socially and economically using a local resource and by not imposing our
own notion of aesthetics while doing our design work, very complex
agenda. Our book, The "Bamboo & Cane Crafts of Northeast India" by M P
Ranjan, Nilam Iyer and Ghanshyam Pandya published in 1986 was based on
our 1979-80 field work and has a very detailed index that looks at many
dimensions of the product universe that was studied. I now call it the
Traditional Wisdom guide since we were able to identify and list both
visible and invisible attributes in the two distinct indexes, the
covered the structural, material and geometric attributes as well as
properties of materials, techniques and local knowledge that we found in
our discourse of these products and these included as many as 8000
attributes in all. These hidden and visible attributes have informed our
further work in product design with the local material, bamboo , as well
as our formal and aesthetic decisions that we could keep aligned to the
expressions that we found and articulated through detailed drawings and
textual descriptions in the research process that led up to the book.

If I were to extend this method to a range of artefacts from our
contemporary culture we can see that our electronic products as well as
our automobiles could be subjected to such an elaborate analysis that
includes functional, social, aesthetis as well as economic and
ecological parameters and we would that be discussing the influence
across all these parameters in a design discourse. History of design
misses such a deep analysis and most of the descriptions that I am
familiar with is stylistic analysis or technological advancement related
studies and much work needs to be done in this area. So the whole issue
of "What Evidence" is both complex and related to the point of view and
the hypothesis that is held by the researcher. Each discourse of the
research would open up new layers of meaning and contexts that can be
further explored. In a recent post I have shared some preliminary
systems analysis work that was done by one of my students in a systems
design class that was conducted in 1991 about the Lego Toy at the
systems level. You can see this at my blog post below:
<http://design-for-india.blogspot.com/2008/01/lego-toy-for-all-ages-can-it-be.html>

The analysis of the product showed the multiple dimensions that needed
to be examined in order to both understand such a product as well as to
apply these principles to a new system of similatr complexity and
effect. She found several dimensions:
The Geometric Module: Form, Dimension, Compatibility
The Functional Module: Hinges, Pins, Tubes, Features
The Marketing Module: Packaging, Economic Groups, Age Groups, Interest
Groups
The Semantic Module: Form, Colour, Texture, Terminal Elements, Context
The Ergonomic Module: User Capability, Need, Age Matching, Complexity
and finally
The Economic Module: Production Features, Finished Product
Configuration, Set Configuration etc.,
See this post at the link below:
<http://www.design-for-india.blogspot.com/2008/01/lego-toy-for-all-ages-can-it-be.html>

Lego has just completed 50 years and going and some of our product
systems in India and elsewhere have a lineage of over 5000 years of
tradition behind them which are very complex to fathom, even if we were
to look at all the possible angles, even if we could.

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
from my mac at home on the NID campus
3 Ferbruary 2008 at 10.40 pm IST

Prof M P Ranjan
Faculty of Design
Head, Centre for Bamboo Initiatives at NID (CFBI-NID)
Chairman, GeoVisualisation Task Group (DST, Govt. of India) (2006-2008)
National Institute of Design
Paldi
Ahmedabad 380 007 India

Tel: (off) 91 79 26623692 ext 1090