PHD-DESIGN  February 2019

PHD-DESIGN February 2019

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Culture and Cognition- a course to rediscover authentic experience

Jinan K B <[log in to unmask]>

PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Feb 2019 20:57:08 +0530

text/plain

Dear Heidi

Thank you for pointing attention to "the postulate of ontological
discontinuity,"

I talk about 'ontological reversal' instead of 'ontological
discontinuity'. What I mean is  'knowledge precedes knowing'. This
condition is what makes 'reasoning' the ability/quality required to
'understand'. What happens then is that we remove the most essential
condition for the development of authenticity and creativity by
dealing with ready-made knowledge.

when you have to engage in the process of knowing in order to create
knowledge the first condition is that we have to be in the realm of
unknown. Unknown awakens wonder, observation, intuition etc. The
process becomes more important than the product. that is living
experience is turned into intellectual knowledge. In this case, the
reasoning is an integral part of the process seamlessly embedded. not
a fragmented stand-alone quality which even denies the role of sense,
experience, and even intuition.

In the context of modernity, intuition is used within the framework of
reason whereas in tradition (among the non-literates) reasoning is
integral to intuition. That is the in modernity the rational mind uses
intuition as a tool.

The ontological reversal is the outcome of literacy. That is our
dependence of codified knowledge which was the outcome of printing.
So you are right in mentioning 'the explorations of the mind-altering
implications of literacy'.
My single most research has been to understand the shift that literacy
did to our 'beingness'. As a person who has been living with
non-literate communities, it is very evident to me. And I had also
realized years ago communicating this to the literate is going to be
very difficult as the two exists in two completely different cognitive
paradigms. My simple definition is that for the literates
'understanding takes place within the realm of mind and language
whereas for the illiterates understanding takes place within the realm
of body and experience.

As a child, we have two possibilities for the formation of the mind,
in our growing up. One is to develop the mind as a 'process' with the
help of authentic experience, directly connecting with the world
around, using hands, body, manipulating inits natural relationship
etc. The other offered by modernity is to deny this direct experience
and autonomy by instructing, teaching and using the printed books and
now using the digital format.

As a person keenly observing the 'western modernity' I have come to
this conclusion. Western modernity addresses the symptoms and fails to
look at the root cause. Even while looking at the root cause they miss
the most evident proof because they seem to be celebrating that as
their most important aspect. Rationality. That is the very tool used
for knowing prevents the truth from coming out.

This is most evident in the case of medicine. Allopathy treats the
symptom and is very mechanical in nature whereas almost all
traditional medicinal systems treat the cause. As I mentioned in
earlier email 'out of the box thinking is a good example of addressing
the symptom.

Many thinkers have tried to understand where has the human being erred
and few of the anarchists start with leaving the jungle as the turning
point, and for some others, it is with the starting of agriculture
etc.

But I think it is the mass scale literacy that really shifted our
beingness. Few elites using literacy wouldn't impact a culture. But
when there is a critical mass then the culture shifts and slowly
spreads to others as well.
What literacy did was to shift the biologically rooted learning
process and autonomy in making sense of their context. Learning is a
sociobiological process very similar to what happens in the case of
food making and eating. After the 'input' both the food and the
sensorial input is biological. Like digestion, we have no control over
comprehension. But when mind took over the realm of knowledge egoistic
reasoning replaced the biologically based 'comprehension.

There is a beautiful saying by Milerappa, the Buddhist monk.
Spirituality is the last ploy of the mind. It is very clear how the
mind is doing this even in the realm of science, for example, the
attempts to understand the biological roots of being or the holistic
nature of science etc.

Jinan

--
Jinan,
TEXT DISTORTS, DIGITAL DESTROYS, WORLD AWAKENS