ITALIAN-STUDIES  March 2017

ITALIAN-STUDIES March 2017

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Appeal from students at the University of Bologna - 'Police in the University - Never Again!'

James Oliver <[log in to unmask]>

Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 4 Mar 2017 09:44:57 -0800

text/plain

A very similar thing happened recently at the University of
California, Berkeley. Students upset at the invitation to speak
proferred to one of the provocative "alt-right" speakers associated
with the Breitbart news site rioted, and the police had to be called
in.

I think it's very important to make the following distinction:
violence against individuals or personal property is never to be
tolerated. In instances like this, I do think that it is not
inappropriate for some form of police response to be made, as long as
this response is proportionate, to protect human lives and property.

This is where it gets tricky, no? At what point does a reasonable and
commensurate police response intended to protect lives and property
cease to be a reasonable response to violence on the protestors' part
and become a kind of "paramilitary" response in which excessive force
against the protestors occurs? It sounds like in Bologna, this
hard-to-define line may have been crossed, evoking nightmarish
scenarios of a kind of Fascistic quasi-military intervention on the
part of the forces of public order during the darkest days of the
student protests of the 1960s and 70s (for example, the indiscriminate
slaughter of thousands of student protestors in Mexico City just ahead
of the Mexico City Olympics, in which thousands of students were
indiscriminately slaughtered by paramilitary police forces at the
behest of the central government).

And of course Italy was and is, unfortunately, no stranger to a
similar use of state force against those seen as a threat to the
establishment.

In America, at least in recent times, we are fairly good at at least
TRYING to balance the need for public order with the even greater need
to preserve something as precious as our sacred rights to freedom of
speech and lawful assembly. A recent example of this were the riots in
Oakland a year or two ago, in which the police had the unenviable task
of trying to protect public property and businesses while
simultaneously trying not to react so forcefully as to provoke more
violence on the part of the demonstrators. But I think that this is
always a very difficult balance to achieve, and probably varies from
case to case. But at least in America in recent times, there does seem
to be at least an attempt to recognize the importance of trying to
achieve this balance, and to respond appropriately in any  given
situation.

Since I was not in Bologna, I can't comment on what happened there.
But it does sound as if this delicate line between "proportionate
police response" and a kind of paramilitary response did occur there,
something which, given Italy's history, would, if it is true, be
particularly worrisome. And the mention of turnstiles seems to me a
bit worrisome; once again, it seems that here we might be being
confronted yet again with the difficult task of trying to achieve a
delicate balance between a legitimate need to preserve public access
and safety, and what I would call (to use a term borrowed from
journalism) the creation of a "chilling effect," by which measures
taken to preserve public order end up--sometimes unwittingly and
sometimes by design--actually damaging the even more important social
and cultural values of free expression.

But if one absolutely had to choose between the two (the need to
maintain public order vs. the need to preserve freedom of expression
and the right to lawful assembly), I think anyone who values a free
society would have to choose the latter. Unfortunately, given both
human nature and also the experience of history, attempts to keep
society clean and organized and smoothly-functioning, no matter how
well-intentioned at the beginning, have the unfortunate tendency to
begin a gradual and sometimes imperceptible slide into more
authoritarian attempts to repress all forms of independent thought and
action. And history has also taught us that there are, unfortunately,
many among us who would use appeals to law and order as a simple ruse
to justify the imposition of a more totalitarian order. Hence I think
it's always useful to keep carefully in mind the admonition of the
American patriot Tom Paine, who uttered the immortal words "The price
of freedom is eternal vigilance."