RAMESES  November 2014

RAMESES November 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: a possibly quite hard evaluation project

Raymond Pawson <[log in to unmask]>

Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards" <[log in to unmask]>, Raymond Pawson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Nov 2014 09:28:22 +0000

text/plain

Hi Tom

Actually it is an easy-peasy evaluation. You have no choice. It has to be a theory-driven evaluation (supported, perhaps, with a realist synthesis).
The overall strategy is to try to pin down the ‘programme theory’ in operation at GMC and to evaluate the extent to which it comes to pass.

I imagine that you are surrounded by all sorts of policy narratives (statutes, mission statements, guidance documents). You need to select a sample of these and ask yourselves (formal interviews with the good, the great and the gaulieters at GMC) – How do we suppose that these ideas will be influential? What are the ways and means through which they will pass into practice? The responses are the programme theory (these might include ideas on why sometimes the policy ideas fall on stony ground).

Then, having decided on a subset of programme theories, you need to put them to some kind of empirical test (OK this is not so easy). The simplest way is to ask groups on the ‘receiving end’ about how they have acted on (or fail to act upon) the regulations, the missives, the pep-talks. Much harder would be operationalise some of the expectations within the regulations and measure any change that has ensued. Of course, you don’t have a counterfactual but the combination of explanatory narratives from all stakeholders plus some administrative data displaying change might help to establish some causal patterns.

The other starting point is with existing ‘regulation theory’. I’m no expert in this area but everything under the sun has been put to critical analysis and this literature is also a higher level source of programme theory (which sometimes will have received formal evaluation).

Sources for this? I recall somewhere that John Braithwaite has written a lot about ‘responsive regulation’. Didn’t that closet realist, Keiran Walshe, write about HNS regulation? Many of the ideas on regulation border on ‘public management’ theory, where Christopher Pollitt is your man. A synthesis of this literature would underpin your specific evaluation.

Have fun
RAY