PHD-DESIGN  November 2014

PHD-DESIGN November 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Evidence-Based Practice in a Changing World Economy

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Nov 2014 11:48:27 +0800

text/plain

(This version with correct url)

Dear MP,

You  write beautifully when you ask where ideas come from and reply that they come from "deep immersion in reality with our senses wide open seeking, not just eyes wide open, I include here the mind, body and soul, all are in play here, and the seeking is for a variety of possible directions that lead to several alternate resource maps being processed into numerous compositions that set the stage for ideas to emerge from these juxtapositions of real sense data"

It’s a great starting point.  There are three questions that follow in terms of using that idea for designers and design researchers:

1. How does the idea production process happen and what can we learn from understanding it?
2. Because science and mathematical modelling are part of our human experience of the world, how do we include them in understanding where ideas come from?
3. How does the concept of creating ideas  fit with knowledge about how bodies function biologically whilst  creating new ideas or solving problems?

Happily, the answers to 3. help give the answers to all.

Put simply, the biological evidence indicates that our internal biological bodily processes in creating ideas comprise a reflexive dynamic inter-relationship between slight changes to the physiology of our bodies; our perception of those changes (often called emotions or feelings); and our thoughts, and the ideas and images in our heads. This can trivially be extended to our acts of doing like, drawing, painting, craft  and playing trombone.

As far as I know at this time, the first useful explanation of this reflexive dynamic  interdependency between bodily changes, emotions/feelings, and thoughts that linked this process to the biological evidence was in  Bastick, T. (1982) 'Intuition: How we think and act', John Wiley & Sons. If I remember right that was also the first text to review more than a million documents, and in those days by hand!  Following Bastick, Antonio Damasio presented an array of evidence in his books from the 1990s onwards that provided more detail of the process. In 2003, Bastick refined his earlier analyses to include the newer biological understanding  in 'Intuition: Evaluating the construct and its impact on creative thinking' Kingston: Stoneman & Lang.

If you want a short easy-to-read version, I described the above process in 2000 in Love, T. (2000). Computerising Affective Design Cognition. International Journal of Design Computing, 2. available at

http://www.love.com.au/docs/2000/CADC.pdf  and also in  Love, T. (2001). Concepts and Affects in Computational and Cognitive Models of Designing. In J. S. Gero, M. L. Maher (Eds.), Computational and Cognitive Models of Creative Design (pp. 3-23). Sydney: University of Sydney  available at http://www.love.com.au/docs/2001/CACCMD01.pdf  as well as several of my more recent papers at http://www.love.com.au/docs/publications.htm . (My apologies for the quality of the online versions. All are pre-prints and Ken has been reminding me to clean the formatting and convert them to pdf. Hopefully I will manage these two  soon. )

Conclusions:

 By taking into account the biological understanding of how we create ideas, it becomes clear that it is all and everything of our experience and learning and knowledge provides the basis for the ideas we produce and the breadth, usefulness of beauty of those ideas.  This all and everything also includes science and mathematical modelling as well as past evidence, memories and learning.

Put simply, learning and knowledge  from science and mathematical modelling and analyses ADD to the learning and knowledge we gain from direct perceptual experience.

The more complicated version is that science and mathematical modelling ADD much more than they might be expected and typically can extend the basis for creating ideas many orders beyond what can be achieved through direct perception of experience.

Best wishes ,
Terry

---
Dr Terence Love
PhD(UWA), BA(Hons) Engin. PGCEd, FDRS, AMIMechE, PMACM, MISI

Honorary Fellow
IEED, Management School
Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK
ORCID 0000-0002-2436-7566