CCPEM  October 2014

CCPEM October 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Weird rings in Relion 2D classificaction

Sjors Scheres <[log in to unmask]>

Sjors Scheres <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:13:17 -0000

text/plain

Yes, 0.8 would actually be very conservative, so I was somewhat surprised.
Useful threshold values are often around 0.2-0.7. 0.08 indeed sounds very
low.

> Sorry there was a typo - 0.08 was what I used, not 0.8. That should make
> more sense!
>
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Liz Montabana <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sjors
>>
>> Thanks for the advice. I had originally gone through the described
>> FOM/particle threshold picking with a few micrographs and ended up
>> picking
>> a threshold of 0.8, which looked like it was getting mostly what I would
>> have picked out as particles by eye. I guess I would be a pretty greedy
>> manual picker too! I'll go back and pick something more conservative and
>> see how that turns out. For the auto-picking I was low-pass filtering to
>> 20A, but I'll change that to 30 for this round and see what happens.
>>
>> Do you think that it would be better to not mask your original mini-set
>> of
>> manual picked particles when doing 2D class averages, so when using them
>> for templates there is no chance of that affecting the auto-picking?
>>
>> thanks
>> Liz
>>

>> On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Sjors Scheres
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Liz,
>>>
>>> Don't apologize for this excellent and well-documented question!
>>>
>>> The rings you observe are a typical sign of Einstein-from-noise
>>> artifacts
>>> that can occur with (any) template-based particle picking. I attach a
>>> PDF
>>> of the manuscript I wrote on the auto-picking procedure in RELION. Note
>>> this hasn't been back from peer-review yet, so for the moment just
>>> consider it as my own opinion! :-) We can observe the same effects with
>>> many more data sets. The cause is a too low threshold for the
>>> auto-picking
>>> algorithm, which then reproduces the templates from noise areas in the
>>> micrographs. I suppose you used the smaller diameter to calculate the
>>> 2D
>>> classes that you used as templates for auto-picking? The normalization
>>> in
>>> relion (and many other packages) makes that the average background is
>>> often slightly negative (i.e. black); this is caused by the presence of
>>> particles (with white signal) in the background area. This results in
>>> 2D
>>> class averages that have a white ribosome and a slightly negative
>>> (black)
>>> background. When you use those for auto-picking and you are too
>>> "greedy",
>>> i.e. you set the threshold too low, then you start up picking noise