Re: Ten Thousand Hours for Expertise

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 May 2014 10:20:40 +0800

text/plain

Hi Lubomir,

Whoa.

Ken asked me for a pathway to starting teaching mathematical approaches in
design. That was what I described in that post. I described  is a simple
starting path that can easily be implemented. I know that many design
educators already do this, though many design schools do not push it as far
as they might.

The real aim I proposed  (in previous posts) is to get to the position that
student designers are taught to mathematically and computer model the
likely dynamic behaviours of outcomes of their designs. Not the behaviour of
the outputs (i.e. their designs themselves) but the behaviours of the
effects their designs have on the real world.

That requires a little more maths than I described, but is easily and
quickly taught in a separate unit to design students with school level
maths.  I've suggested it takes less than 20 hours.

It is important to be able to do that. Being able to predict the effects on
the world of what one proposes is a core part of being a professional.

In addition, the same approaches with a little more work  give design
students the skills to model the dynamic behaviours of  socially and
physically defined factors that shape design solutions. This gives an
ability to identify areas of  solution space of best design solutions and
areas of likely failures, particularly for wicked problems.

Best wishes,
Terry

---
Dr Terence Love
PhD(UWA), BA(Hons) Engin. PGCEd, FDRS, AMIMechE, MISI
Director,
Love Services Pty Ltd
PO Box 226, Quinns Rocks
Western Australia 6030