PHD-DESIGN  June 2013

PHD-DESIGN June 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: the relationship between Design and language according to linguistic nativist perspective.

Purma Jukka <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Jun 2013 18:06:13 +0000

text/plain

Hi,
I haven't read any of Dong's works, but I'm doing doctoral thesis to design (visualization) tools for generative linguists. I have read quite a lot of Chomsky and generative grammar stuff and done my master's thesis on related subject. I don't know if Pinker wrote about it, but I think that relevant for your research is this whole 'Linguistics Wars' dispute in 70's.

In late 60's Generative Grammar had made its breakthrough, and various researchers wanted to extend similar idea of specialized generative processing to semantics. Chomsky was strongly against it, seeing that semantics is by nature more 'messy' area: it looks like there is no limit what kind of stuff can go and affect semantic processing (it is clearly, deeply culturally influenced in every way possible) and it should wait until we have more reachable unknowns  sorted out. People who were into 'Generative Semantics' disagreed, the discussion was heated and there has since been animosity between cognitive linguistics (generative semantics) and generative grammarians. There are few who are in good terms with both camps, maybe Ray Jackendoff who has looked if there is generative grammar -style inbuilt mechanisms for music.

There are historical reasons why crossovers you are looking are rare: cognitive semantics want to distance themselves from Chomsky and syntax, and generative grammar wants to keep a tight ship.  For generative grammarians there is syntactic processing that interacts through interfaces with semantic and phonology, and what is researched is this syntactic processing. Proposing  something like  'generative design grammar' would smell like generative semantics for syntactians and aggravatingly chomskyan for semanticians.

However, in generative grammar in last decade or two there have been rekindled interest to other cognitive systems that may share attributes with syntactic processing: the aim is to find the minimal difference that is required for human language capacity to evolve from known non-human-specific cognitive capacities.  Recursion was one big hypothesis for mechanism that is necessary for syntax, and also found in some forms in other communication systems and maybe in things like animal navigation. Generative linguists tend to publish their more wide-reaching theories in open access journal 'Biolinguistics'. You should look that carefully.

If you want to argue for 'Design Capacity' and take a nativist stance to it, I think that important thing would be to limit the claim by saying what it is connected to; what are its interfaces and by those, what is *not* its responsibility and to what issues 'Design Capacity' is blind. E.g. you can argue for syntax/semantics division by basis of syntactically plural but semantically singular words like 'pants' and 'scissors'. For semantics (understanding these words as objects) we don't have trouble taking 'scissors' to mean one object, though the word is in plural. However, syntactic processing cannot opt out from plural marking and verbs etc. need to agree with that plural form, even when in the meaning level it is obvious that the sentence is about just singular thing. Are there such blind spots for design capacity? Veridicality could be one, though it is difficult to say when in human thought veridicality really kicks in.

I think you have enough to do with generative grammar alone, linguistics is such a wide field that 'Design and Language' would be as haphazard combination as 'Design and Physics'. 'Design and Liquid Flow Physics' would be much more promising goal.

Jukka

David Luxembourg <[log in to unmask]>