PHD-DESIGN November 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Project UMA

Miller | The Policy Lab <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:12:35 +0100

text/plain

I would like to add a brief twist to the note Ken posted below. Naturally, I cannot and will not comment on the substance of the project or matters of method. However, I think Ken might have responded in an equally compelling manner and I suspect (though I have not checked with him yet) that he might even agree. As he and I will actually be speaking rather soon, I suspect I'll find out!

To wit: It is an error to either assume or conclude that relevant knowledge in the study of a mystery or the solving a problem, is "located" within disciplinary distinctions. Therefore, the inclusion of people from within a discipline does not, in itself, ensure that relevant knowledge to a task will be resident and available on a research or design team. Ken did not say or imply this, but did offer a defense along disciplinary lines. I would like to reframe that defense — if I may — because I'm increasingly concerned about the reification of disciplines as though they "exist" and "work" as units.

Disciplines (and I am not suggesting Terry was saying this, but the point still needs to be made) are not like blocks that contain organized knowledge and methods that can be stacked up or employed as machine parts. While metaphors are always problematic, they are more like tectonic plates that overlap, collide, break apart, and otherwise interact. They are not organized around skills or conclusions. They are usually organized around literatures, research agendas, and sometimes (but not always) core methods relevant to the investigation of their organizing problematics. My own field of international relations, for example, (though I have a Ph.D. in it), still does not strike me as a discipline as much as a theoretical commitment. As we like to joke, there are no "international relationists." (no, our jokes are not very funny).

Disciplines are conveniences that can easily be inconvenient. For example, for some ten years Lisa Rudnick and I have worked (hard) on bridging cultural research with the design of policy and programming. We have made far greater inroads in the field of communication than in the field of anthropology, though one might assume a more natural affinity with the latter. But this is not the case because disciplinary distinctions — because they have histories and institutions, and organized systems within them — can be mobilized, or immobilized, around key problematics. Ron Scollon and I wrote a book chapter on why anthropology in particular has been unable to mobilize itself around problematics in peace and security (in Researching Violence in Africa: Ethical and Methodological Challenges, and entitled Cooperative Ethics as a New Model for Cultural Research on Peace and Security, 2011).

So while Ken's response below is surely a powerful statement and to me a very convincing one, it can also be appreciated that relevant skills and knowledge can come from a variety of places — and often unexpected places — because some of the greatest conceptual and methodological challenges often lay at the "root" of seemingly and thematically different disciplines.

Just one example of a key problematic addressed in disciplines as different as gender studies, political science, historiography and the philosophy of science: Iif not a positivist model of causality for understanding change in social behavior, then what? If this problem concerns you in a research project, then you need to look for the people with the skills to address it in an applicable manner to the mystery or problem being faced. Trying to hire out of disciplines can be a whopping mistake. And Lisa and I have made that mistake. Lesson learned, lesson being shared. Buyers beware …

Derek.

_________________
Dr. Derek B. Miller
Director

The Policy Lab®
321 Columbus Ave.
Seventh Floor of the Electric Carriage House
Boston, MA 02116
United States of America

Phone
+1 617 440 4409
Twitter
@Policylabtweets
Web
www.thepolicylab.org

This e-mail includes proprietary and confidential information belonging to The Policy Lab, Ltd. All rights reserved.